High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

Posted on
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am
sarahcat offline
Posts: 42
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

I normally upgrade as soon as a new MacOS version is released, but, since everything with Indigo is just working so well and I've integrated 4 Echo devices via the Alexa-Hue Bridge, I've become gun shy about a major OS upgrade (i.e., High Sierra) until a bit of the dust is settled.

My environment:
Mac Mini late 2012
i7 Quad core CPU
16 GB RAM
AeoTec Z-stick
Insteon 2413u MODEM (recently replaced and has latest firmware)
Indigo 7.0.3
SecuritySpy 4

Currently running MacOS Sierra (v10.12.6)

I'm heading on a 2 week vacation in less than 3 weeks and Indigo working at 100%, as it is now, is essential.

Seeking opinions: Is it a reasonable time to upgrade the 10.13?

Posted on
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 17852
Joined: Jan 27, 2003
Location: Texas

Re: High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

We definitely encourage waiting. There have been reports of USB problems.

Image

Posted on
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:10 pm
lanbrown online
Posts: 35
Joined: Sep 26, 2017

Re: High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

since everything with Indigo is just working so well and I've integrated 4 Echo devices via the Alexa-Hue Bridge, I've become gun shy about a major OS upgrade (i.e., High Sierra) until a bit of the dust is settled.

I'm heading on a 2 week vacation in less than 3 weeks and Indigo working at 100%, as it is now, is essential.


As the saying goes....
if it ain't broke don't fix it


If it is essential and you're headed out of town, I would not even think of touching it. Almost every release of macOS I've always waited on and for good reason, it takes at least the first few .x releases to iron things out. There was one entire release where WiFi issues were never resolved; so it was a year later when the next major release where they were fixed. Many times macOS doesn't play nice with enterprise wireless. I have yet to try Higher Sierra and won't until the second .x release hits near its beta end phase.

My Indigo instance is the only running; so what release it is on really doesn't matter in terms of functionality. Will it be upgraded to High Sierra...sure, but not today. I see zero benefit to be an early adopter as there is no new macOS feature that will benefit me.

Posted on
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm
jltnol offline
Posts: 250
Joined: Oct 15, 2013

Re: High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

FWIW, the client seems to run fine... but I'm not upgrading the Indigo Server 'til I get a Green Light!

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:45 pm
sarahcat offline
Posts: 42
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Re: High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

I appreciate the insight from Matt, Ianbrown, and jitnol. All my iOS stuff is upgraded to iOS 11, but I am heeding the wisdom of delaying the High Sierra upgrade, since Indigo is the brain of our home's 'central nervous system'.

Thank you!

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:31 pm
siclark offline
Posts: 129
Joined: Jun 13, 2017

Re: High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

Fwiw I just migrated to a 2014 Mac mini that was already on high Sierra and other than a config issue related to the migration it's working fine using an aeotec gen5 zwave USB stick.

Posted on
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 pm
sarahcat offline
Posts: 42
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Re: High Sierra, is it safe to upgrade?

Thanks, siclark!

Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests