Multiway mashup

Posted on
Mon May 15, 2017 3:59 pm
rgspb offline

Multiway mashup

I need to set up a multiway circuit using three switches. I have two Smarthome 2476D's and two Icon 2876D's. I'm thinking of using the 2476D's for the Line and Load end switches and one of the 2876D's in place of the 4-way switch. Can I mix and match like this? Just trying to use the switches I have without buying new ones.

Posted on
Wed May 17, 2017 5:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Multiway mashup

Since they're all dimmers, that should work. I think there was some limitation to the number of links you can put in an Icon but I'm fairly certain it's enough for what you want to do.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 11:41 am
rgspb offline

Thanks for the reply. I attempted to set this up but there is some really screwy stuff going on with how one of the existing switches is wired so I'm not going to mess with it. Now I'm wondering about using one of the Micro Switches up at the box for the light. Can these be used in a 4-way switch situation? It doesn't seem like it would matter but would like to be sure before I crawl up into the attic in 90degree weather!

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm
johnpolasek offline

Assuming you can get line and neutral wires to all the switches and the load, it will work fine... however, if you can get load and neutral to any one of the switches and line and neutral to all of them, you don't need the micromodule; just tie that one switch to the load, cap off all the other loads, and define all of them as a group with all switches linked as both responders and controllers to keep them in sync; at least that's the way it works for on/off stuff...

Posted on
Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm
rgspb offline

Thanks, the problem is the 3-way switch where the power originates is wired up really weird. The power comes from the switch next to it. When I wired up the SwitchLinc it did not light up. I tried re-wiring things the way they should be and still no luck. The black wire that is part of the 4-way circuit is connected all the way through, just like the white wires usually are. The current switch is wired for power from the adjacent switch, then red wire and jumper to black wires as travelers. If I disconnect all three switches, there is no power going to any of those wires in any of the boxes. I just got my head wrapped around wiring for 3-way or more switches and then this comes along.

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 5:29 am
johnpolasek offline

It is likely that the power is not coming from the adjacent switch, but rather on one of the wires you think is a traveler and going TO the adjacent switch from there. You may need to disconnect and then test them all with a voltmeter after putting the circuit breaker back on.

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 pm
rgspb offline

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Posted on
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 am
rgspb offline

Just an update on this, I got it working. 3 and 4 way switches have always befuddled me, even without trying to setup Insteon switches. However it finally clicked and I think I've got my head wrapped around them. Trying to set up the Insteon 3 and 4 way installs is actually easier than setting up conventional switches I've found! The difference here is that the wiring in our new home is not exactly conventional, not exactly how you see in standard wiring diagrams. I also detest how they use the tiniest possible boxes for switches and stuff, next time I design my own home it will be with the stipulation that the boxes be oversized. I was able to figure it all out though, got all the switches cross-connected and it's working like a charm!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Page 1 of 1