Error executing action group

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 pm
jingai offline

Error executing action group

I have a Sony Xperia XA1 running Android 7.0. I have two geofences set up in DomoPad: one with a radius of 3000 and another with a radius of 25000, both centered on my house.

The two geofences trigger without issue, but the action groups for enter/exit do not execute with the error presented in the Subject of this post.

I am using the Prism reflector and I can connect and use DomoPad from outside my house. It's just the entry/exit action groups that are not firing.

I have thus far tried recreating the geofences and disabling WiFi before I leave my house.

Any ideas?

Posted on
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Error executing action group

Sorry for the delay - been out of town a bit.

You mention the Prism reflector - is that set for Away and the Home set to a local IP address? Generally speaking, things are working for people in that setup with a large Geofence (and yours certainly qualify).

Also, are you getting the failed Execute Action message about where you would expect the Geofence to trigger? As in, it seems to fire the In/Out of the geofence in the correct location as set?

Posted on
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 am
jingai offline

I use the local IP address for Home and the Prism reflector for Away.

They do trigger when they should, but it fails to execute the actions.

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am
jingai offline

I'm still having this issue. Is there anything you'd like me to try?

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am
RogueProeliator offline

They do trigger when they should, but it fails to execute the actions.

Let's start with the basics, I guess... can you be sure that you can manually execute the action groups both home and away (note this error is not from the server, so it isn't a case of whether or not the action group runs, curious if the app is failing when manually executing it).

Assuming the above is working, it indicates that the phone is not allowing the application to send the network communication... either the app is confused on what connection to use so it is attempting to send the wrong address or it is sending and the phone's network is not yet ready or something similar. SO, let's focus on one direction (entering/leaving it doesn't matter). Do a quick test for me -- one time/day make sure the app is set to Home before you will trigger the fence. The next time make sure it is set to Away before the fence will trigger.

What I am trying to test here is something such as if you are set to Home when you leave and the fence triggers, it should switch to Away. But perhaps it is not doing that properly and if it were already on Away and it works, that might be a hint.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:20 am
jingai offline

I can indeed manually execute the action groups in both Home and Away.

I've currently got auto-switching disabled and it is set to Away, so the next time I leave the area (in a few minutes) I'll see if it triggers and let you know.

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:47 am
jingai offline

I left it manually set to Away when I left the house today. I did not receive the error when leaving the fence, but I did get the error when returning. It is still manually set to Away.

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 am
jingai offline

It seems like if there is a network error, it should try to retransmit at some interval until it succeeds. If, for example, my LTE connection is spotty when I cross the fence, my variables in Indigo will then be out of sync with reality unless the app tries to retransmit at some later point.

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It seems like if there is a network error, it should try to retransmit at some interval until it succeeds. If, for example, my LTE connection is spotty when I cross the fence, my variables in Indigo will then be out of sync with reality unless the app tries to retransmit at some later point.

That is what I want to do as a potential fix for these issues - well, for multiple network related issues (e.g. close to a Wifi / LTE transition, spotty LTE at the boundary, slow waking network on some phones, etc.) Basically it should retry X number of times and only post the notification of error after those retries all fail.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 am
nathanw offline

For whatever it's worth, I've also seen this "Error executing action group" issue as I enter/exit a geofence. Not 100% of the time, but often enough that it makes geofence-based presence triggering unreliable.

(I feel like there is something funny about the Home/Away and auto-switch settings in the face of the app getting closed; I've seen it change those settings when I didn't expect it.)

Posted on
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:56 pm
rhanson offline

So I've been playing with a Pixel phone recently, and one thing that's weird is that DomoPad just has a mind of its own when it comes to network switching. I've turned off auto switch, even blanked out the Home server IP to force it to just stay in Away mode all the time. But it just won't stick. I'll open the app, and there it is in Home mode again.

The reason I was trying to force Away is because the Pixel seems to have a hard time (= slow) moving to mobile data. As a result, I can never get my geofences to fire.

This might be unique to the Pixel, or maybe Oreo 8.1, since I've used only 8.0 before. Those are the only variables vs my daily driver Moto X 2013 which works perfectly as expected, both for mobile data switching and DomoPad.

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am
RogueProeliator offline

The reason I was trying to force Away is because the Pixel seems to have a hard time (= slow) moving to mobile data. As a result, I can never get my geofences to fire.

They do seem to try their best to hold on to a WiFi connection to the point that there is often a short drop there... I've seen where it is too aggressive in turning OFF the WiFi during sleep as well such that it will wake the applications prior to the network connection, making DomoPad think it needs to switch to mobile.

I'd suggest you do the opposite of what you have -- try only setting the Home address (even if it is an external IP) and turning off the auto-switching. I'm having to do a bunch of rewriting in the application for various technical reasons (some forced by Google, some to technically comply with some laws though this is likely not a huge deal, and some have to be done in order to get to some of the features that I have been promising that turned out to be a dead end with the current implementation). At any rate, I am going to have to look into a new method for spinning up the check because of some of the phone's behavior... as you said, works perfectly on some phones and not so well on others. Geofencing and trying to control from wake (where you had DomoPad open already) are the two biggest symptoms.

Anyway, try the Home address -- I don't think it should have any real consequence of having an external IP in there as long as the Away setting is blanked out. The reason for this is that if something fails miserably (e.g. neither connection is found) it may default to trying the Home location again first before switching.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 am
jingai offline

I just tried setting my Home IP to myhost.indigodomo.net and it does not seem to retain it.

Away IP and port fields are both empty, and auto-switching is disabled.

Any ideas?

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I just tried setting my Home IP to myhost.indigodomo.net and it does not seem to retain it.

Just to be clear, it is not retaining the "Home" setting or not retaining the address in the settings?

Assuming you just mean it is switching to Away (I have no idea how it is set to check that there is a valid address before switching, obviously, but could be a bug somewhere), have you noticed if it is at a particular time? For example, is it only switching to away when it would be triggering a Geofence? Or maybe when you switch on/off WiFI?

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm
jingai offline

It's not retaining the address in the Home field. If i close and re-open the app, it reverts to the previous IP.

It does retain the empty Away address and the checkbox to disable switching. It seems to just revert all of the Home settings (address, port, and HTTPS checkbox).