dim display to completely off?

Posted on
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:36 pm
Professor Falken offline

dim display to completely off?

Is there any way to dim the display to completely off? That is, no lighting at all emanating from the screen, but still wakeable with a tap on the screen. I have checked the "allow dimming" and set the slider all the way down to 0%, but I still have some display lighting visible.

Obviously I can just have the device itself timeout and shut down, but then it would require a press on the power button AND a swipe to unlock to wake it back to the CP. I'm looking for a completely black (off) display, but with a wake on just a screen tap. Is this possible?

Running on a Fire 8 HD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: dim display to completely off?

Obviously I can just have the device itself timeout and shut down, but then it would require a press on the power button AND a swipe to unlock to wake it back to the CP. I'm looking for a completely black (off) display, but with a wake on just a screen tap. Is this possible?

DomoPad is requesting the device dimming state be set to whatever you setup in settings -- but some devices have a minimum dim level that simply cannot be changed... this is especially true of some of the cheaper LCDs out there (often they bleed light when powered on no matter what). I can perhaps try with my son's 7" Fire tomorrow, but I suspect will get the same result as you.

If I find any revelations with testing on his tablet I'll let you know.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 am
Professor Falken offline

OK, great, thanks.

If you have a suggestion for a higher end tablet that you have had luck with dimming all the way down, I'd love to hear that. I am kind of enjoying re-tooling all of my CP's from just phone display to other modalities. DomoPad is awesome, by the way.

You are certainly correct on the light-bleed issue with this one (Fire 8 HD). That is actually why I abandoned my idea of turning it into a (very smart) bedside alarm clock. I could never get it dim enough on the black background while showing large numbers. But my follow up plan was to still have it available on the bedside table for all the other control (or maybe wall mounted) with it just going dark when not touched.

Slightly related question-- for those users mounting tablets (in other rooms where complete dimming isn't needed) is image burn in an issue? I am thinking like all those monitors you see in airports that have displayed the same graphic for way too long.

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 am
Different Computers offline

You can create a black, blank control page and push that to DomoPad based on whatever trigger you want. Cheap LCD light leaking will still be a prob, but that makes it a bit better.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:47 pm
RogueProeliator offline

DomoPad is awesome, by the way.

Thanks, glad you like it! I enjoy hearing people say that - makes the work worth it! :)

If you have a suggestion for a higher end tablet that you have had luck with dimming all the way down, I'd love to hear that.

I have not tried the dimming to black o anything -- my wife is one of those who detects a new light 4 rooms away with all doors closed, so I dare not introduce a screen to the bedroom! I have a couple dimming down to about 50%, but that is all.

I think your best bet is the Samsung's (Tab line) with their AMOLED screens... but I don't know if they have a dimming limit (software based). However, the blacks on those AMOLED screens are generally damn black and most have very little light bleed. I don't know how you could test this out ahead of time unless someone on the board has one and is willing to give it a try.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:50 am
Professor Falken offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may try that "black control page" option. Could have a button on every page to turn it to black, with that page making any press return to previous page.

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:17 am
jon offline

OLED screens can suffer burn-in from static display elements. I'm not sure how severe this issue would be in practice on the Samsung tabs, but I'd be leery of using one as a dedicated controller.

LCD screens have no such issues.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 pm
Professor Falken offline

jon wrote:
OLED screens can suffer burn-in from static display elements. I'm not sure how severe this issue would be in practice on the Samsung tabs, but I'd be leery of using one as a dedicated controller.

LCD screens have no such issues.

That still might work for my bedroom controller idea though, which I would expect to only be showing something if I pushed a page to it (alarm event, security camera event or the like) or if I was actively engaging with it. Otherwise I'd dim it to black.

Still, all of those tablets look a little pricey to just buy one to play with.

Page 1 of 1