Pairing requires Internet?

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 am
Different Computers offline

Pairing requires Internet?

Puttering around yesterday while the electrician moved my DSL line, I tried pairing an old Nexus phone with the DomoPad plugin. It did not work--until the system was back online with a good reflector connection.

Expected behavior?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Pairing requires Internet?

Expected behavior?

Although I would have to go back to that part of the code to confirm, I believe so -- part of the pairing process is to "link" the push notification service to the Indigo Device (to that fun pairing string you get when you pair). The GCM ID that is required to communicate requires an internet connection to generate. This is similar to the requirement that you have an internet connection to send commands to the device via the Actions (specifically the Send Notification and Display Control Page). Well, technically you don't need a wide-open internet connection, just a path to Google to receive the push notifications... but for the average old device, that is the same.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Pairing requires Internet?

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

I still love this app/plugin!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1