iOS guy here with dumb question

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:00 pm
Different Computers offline

iOS guy here with dumb question

I bought DomoPad and have been running it for a while on a Fire HD tablet.

Just picked up this beast of a Nabi 24" tablet and downloaded DomoPad--and it doesn't recognize that I purchased the license. Is that as designed? In other words, do I need to buy it again?

If not, how do I get this new device to run the Pro version?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 pm
Busta999 offline

Re: iOS guy here with dumb question

That is a beast and is heavily discounted $179 - how does it perform? It is HUGE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm

I got it used for $80, and it's ok, aside from my general "WTF" feeling any time I have to work with Android.

It's kinda cranky about using it for something besides a kid's tablet, but I can work with it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Just picked up this beast of a Nabi 24" tablet and downloaded DomoPad--and it doesn't recognize that I purchased the license. Is that as designed? In other words, do I need to buy it again?

No, Domotics Pad is opted in to the standard Google license to allow it to install on all your devices (well, I think Google sets a limit, but for practical purposes, all your devices). Are you signed in to the Play Store with the same account that you used with the original purchase? If so, I suspect the app is having trouble talking to the store - try going to the Play Store and search for Google Play Services and see if an update is available.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 am
durosity offline

That thing is insane! Are you gonna wall mount it?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:48 am

RogueProeliator wrote:

No, Domotics Pad is opted in to the standard Google license to allow it to install on all your devices (well, I think Google sets a limit, but for practical purposes, all your devices). Are you signed in to the Play Store with the same account that you used with the original purchase? If so, I suspect the app is having trouble talking to the store - try going to the Play Store and search for Google Play Services and see if an update is available.

Thanks. This is sort of what I expected, but it's good to have confirmation. I'll fiddle with it this weekend. Excited to get DomoPad really cooking on this beast!

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:02 am

This was resolved when Android downloaded a bunch of updates. Nice!

However, I'm now stuck trying to pair the Big Tab. When I long press its device in DomoPad, the action menu only has "Request Device Update", "View on Map" and "Help" as options.

Otherwise that screen shows Details, States and Properties, but the last two are greyed out. And of course Status is Not Paired.

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 am
RogueProeliator offline

However, I'm now stuck trying to pair the Big Tab. When I long press its device in DomoPad, the action menu only has "Request Device Update", "View on Map" and "Help" as options.

Just tap (short press) for the pairing dialog. I need to add the actions to the details screen but haven't ever gotten around to it as it is pretty low priority.

Otherwise that screen shows Details, States and Properties, but the last two are greyed out. And of course Status is Not Paired.

That is just that controls' inactive state, click on them and they will be black and bold as the foreground page.

Adam

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:20 pm

That did it! Could have sworn I had short pressed too when trying to do this, but I guess not.

Then again, I think you can see why I kept going down the wrong path:
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 2.18.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 2.18.21 PM.png (37.51 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

Just FYI. I love DomoPad!

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:26 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Then again, I think you can see why I kept going down the wrong path:

Cool, thanks for pointing that out... That was from the very first version of pairing and I guess never got updated.

Just FYI. I love DomoPad!

Thanks, I try!

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Ahh, the things that crop up....

First off, I'm beginning to suspect this Big Tab is not in good shape. It has rebooted on me a few times, and various apps (never DP) have gotten the "x has stopped responding. Do you want me to close it" or whatever dialog.

What I'm seeing now is that DP is receiving Indigo requests to change the displayed control page (because it shows up in the notifications in DP) but the page actually doesn't change.

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:36 pm
RogueProeliator offline

What I'm seeing now is that DP is receiving Indigo requests to change the displayed control page (because it shows up in the notifications in DP) but the page actually doesn't change.

First, check the easy thing -- in DP, check the settings under Settings -> Control Page Options -> Allow Control Page Request. This defaults to only showing the page when DP is already showing a page and the screen is dimmed (inactive). Change that as appropriate for your situation and give it another try.

First off, I'm beginning to suspect this Big Tab is not in good shape. It has rebooted on me a few times, and various apps (never DP) have gotten the "x has stopped responding. Do you want me to close it" or whatever dialog.

Will this only be used to run DP? If so, try setting up DP as the launcher (home screen). This won't stop other things from loading, but will reduce the load on the tablet as it isn't going to be running another, full-featured launcher. To do this go to Settings -> User Interface Options -> Enable App as Launcher. Then hit Home and you should be presented with options of your normal launcher or DP. Select DP and enable as default.

Adam

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Note you may want to reboot after setting as launcher just to clear existing stuff out of memory, though it isn't necessary for the functionality itself to kick in.

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:46 pm

That fixed it--I hadn't enabled the "switch any time" option, or whatever it's called.

I will probably be using this solely for DP, but I'm not certain yet. And I want to experiment with some of the options for making DP launch other android apps before I go all in. Is there a list of the various commands? I recall it's something like chrome://whatever URL, but what if I want to launch Gallery, for example?

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Here are the instructions:

Just released a new version to beta that allows launching any application from a control page (applies to all, not just running as a Home screen). Just choose the "Client action" of "Go to External URL" and use the format:

launch://[package name]

For example, on my Pixel to launch the standard clock application, I use:
launch://com.android.deskclock

So you will need to figure out the package identifier. Usually can find those via a Google search.

Adam