Network traffic when idle

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 am
polycron offline

Network traffic when idle

In an attempt to secure my network I've been toying around with my routers VPN server. Using the Indigo reflector this isn't a problem with the home automation system and DomoPad however I wanted to kill off my other port forwards and the VPN would allow me to do this. On my phone I have my VPN client which has an auto disconnect features if it doesn't detect XX bytes in YY seconds. This is a great feature since the family always forgets to disconnect from the VPN. With Tasker (Android) I can automate the connection of the VPN when specific apps require local IP access.

Unfortunately I am seeing traffic which is holding the VPN open. The only apps that I have on my phone (currently) which use my local IP addresses are my camera app and DomoPad.

Is it possible that DomoPad is querying my local IP address to see if I'm on my home network so that it can switch from Away to Home? If so, do you know how often it makes this query and approximately how many bytes might be used? I can adjust the VPN's byte and time counts for the disconnect but really am not sure how high I want to set the counts.

Jeff

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Network traffic when idle

I guess you need to define what you mean by "when idle"... since you said it was your phone, I assume you mean idle as in not in the foreground at all? In that case, the only thing that is designed to keep running would be the feature which updates Indigo with the phone's status. You could test that by disabling the feature in settings. IF that were the case, it should only be updating every 15-ish minutes (technically the update interval is controlled somewhat by Doze, but it should be around then). Byte could should be relatively low - the payload is small though there is a tiny bit of back and forth with logging in to the server.

If that turns out to be the culprit via a test to turn off the updates, let me know and I can get you a rough byte count.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:26 pm
polycron offline

Thanks Adam. I'm going to rule out DomoPad as the culprit. The issue is happening when nothing is in the foreground and happens every few seconds. I really didn't think it was DomoPad but just wanted to verify it.

Jeff

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm
lalisingh offline

I use a Mikrotik Router.

The VPN profile allow setting session timeout, idle time out as well as number of concurrent sessions.

Check your router to see if it has similar features.
Attachments
profile.jpg
profile.jpg (16.37 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:07 pm
polycron offline

That would have been great, but alas......the Orbi doesn't have that level of sophistication when it comes to the VPN server. At least not yet. There are some things that I really like about the Orbi and other things that I hate. For the price point you would think it would have these types of features.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1