Geofencing and home/away network

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 9:07 am
nathanw offline

Geofencing and home/away network

I've been trying to use DomoPad's geofence to set an Indigo variable indicating whether I'm at home or not. However, when I get far enough away from home for it to trigger on my phone, I usually get an error executing the action group, and the variable doesn't change.

Possibly relatedly, I find the detection of what network I'm on (home vs. away) to be not so good - if I let it auto-switch, I often find it still on the "Home" configuration when I'm out and about. The geofence radius is quite a bit larger than my wifi coverage, so failing to switch to the "Away" network would explain a lot of the problems here.

Home is an IPv4 address, no HTTPS (there's no good way to do "private" HTTPS with Indigo, is there?); Away is using the reflector and HTTPS.

I can collect some more careful observations about what is and isn't working, but before I do, are there known issues in this area?

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Geofencing and home/away network

What version of the application are you running? IIRC it is actually going to attempt to use the "Away" setting (if available) for all Geofencing application which is not ideal... What I would like to change this to is to allow it to execute normally and then, if it fails, go ahead and attempt to change to the opposite (home/away) and re-try.

As to the home/away not working so well -- this has been problematic on certain phones (or android version or SOMETHING, but I think it is hardware-specific). However, the most commonly reported problem is the opposite - people on the home network getting set to away. This was due to the network adapter not waking fully yet before the app attempted the search, so it flagged it as "away".

BTW, just to be clear - it should show as Home when you first get into DomoPad from outside the network and switch to away within about 4-5 seconds. I'm thinking about making it switch to Away automatically whenever WiFi is not connected -- if you were at another WiFi such as Starbucks it would still take 4-5 seconds, but otherwise it would be quicker to switch when out and about.

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 pm
nathanw offline

Re: Geofencing and home/away network

Domotics Pad 1.5.6, on a Pixel running Android 7.1.2.

Should it be switching if I have "Auto-Switch location" unchecked? I've been attempting to work around things by always going through the reflector, but it's not clear that that's doing what I expect.

Page 1 of 1