DomoPad functionality question

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:12 pm
Professor Falken offline

DomoPad functionality question

I was thinking of using an android device (Kindle Fire HD8 maybe) as a bedside alarm clock, and DomoPad would be a key component of this plan, I believe. But before I ventured too far in and started buying hardware I wanted to see if what I am thinking is possible within the framework of the application/plugin...

I think the way it would work would be that it would mostly run a single control page (or maybe an alternating bright-day/dim-night page) that mainly had a very large digital clock. The idea is to be able to see it without glasses. I think that part is pretty easy. Just have Indigo get the time every minute and update the display variable.

But when it comes to the alarm functionality I have some DomoPad questions. I think the way this would work is that I would set up some variables within Indigo for setting the alarm. It could mostly happen on a predictable weekly schedule, but obviously the user has to be able to easily change it. I am pretty sure I can figure this out via control pages, I just have to think about it some. Would be nice to be able to change it either right on the clock tablet, or via any other Indigo client.

But I have to have the clock do something when the alarm goes off. My idea is that:

1) The DomoPad plugin pushes out a different version of the control page to that client, that still shows the time, but has a very large button the size of the entire screen, which allows stopping of the alarm, and resetting back to the general time screen.

2) Obviously there has to be some way to play an audio source to wake me up. I don't care too much via what mechanism this happens. If Indigo/DomoPad can simply trigger a locally stored file to play, that's fine with me-- I'll just put some music on the device. If it has to use Airfoil and stream something from the Indigo server (and if that's possible) I'm OK with that too. Maybe there is another option as well. While I have a Sonos system, and in theory we could probably use that as the speaker, I'd like to stay away from that. I have not yet used the Sonos plugin, as our Sonos system already seems a bit wonky (sometimes seems to drop off for no apparent reason) and I can't imagine that adding another control mechanism would help that.

It would be really cool to even have the option to use internet radio or something, but again, I'm not overly concerned with the source of the music files.

So are these two things possible, and with with minimal latency (can't have the alarm take a minute to turn off after I touch the screen, lest my wife reject the entire enterprise)?

Having a clock like this would be very valuable. Although it would spend most time on the clock page(es), certain events could trigger an automatic switch to, say, the alarm control page on an alarm event, the leak sensor page if a leak was detected, severe weather alerts, etc. I would also place navigation icons for all the rest of the controlled pages on it, so essentially I would have full Indigo control right at the bedside.
Last edited by Professor Falken on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:45 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: DomoPad functionality question

So are these two things possible, and with with minimal latency (can't have the alarm take a minute to turn off after I touch the screen, lest my wife reject the entire enterprise)?

Short answer is basically "yes"... you can accomplish everything that you mentioned in a reasonable way.

But when it comes to the alarm functionality I have some DomoPad questions. I think the way this would work is that I would set up some variables within Indigo for setting the alarm. It could mostly happen on a predictable weekly schedule, but obviously the user has to be able to easily change it. I am pretty sure I can figure this out via control pages, I just have to think about it some. Would be nice to be able to change it either right on the clock tablet, or via any other Indigo client.

Correct, you would need to manage this in Indigo and have Indigo control all variables/schedules/however you chose to make that work. With the right control pages I imagine that some decent level of control of the alarms would be achievable.

1) The DomoPad plugin pushes out a different version of the control page to that client, that still shows the time, but has a very large button the size of the entire screen, which allows stopping of the alarm, and resetting back to the general time screen.

That should work... there are settings to allow pushing the control page out to the application and having it switch to a specific control page. This uses push notifications which means that it does require that the tablet be active and have a WiFi connection and internet access (as the message will "bounce" through the push notification server). At some point this will likely gain a direct connect option which will eliminate the push notification entirely.

Obviously there has to be some way to play an audio source to wake me up. I don't care too much via what mechanism this happens. If Indigo/DomoPad can simply trigger a locally stored file to play, that's fine with me-- I'll just put some music on the device.

There is not currently a way to play an arbitrary sound, but this is an interesting idea... I will consider adding it as a feature to the application as I could see that being beneficial in several scenarios from doorbell alerts to alarms to calling kids down to supper. :)

One hint -- the application has a feature on the control pages where it can dim the screen after a certain time of inactivity. I think if you did the alarm clock in Indigo with the display as text (not images), that it would show through the dim okay enough for night time, then if you touch the device it will brighten back up (which, presumably is not full brightness as set in the settings or with ambient light sensor). If not, simply turning the devices brightness down may work too.

I've had a request to display a clock AS the dimmed screen so honestly it may get that feature in time... we shall see, but no promises on that.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:27 pm
Professor Falken offline

Re: DomoPad functionality question

Great. I look forward to giving it a shot.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1