DomoPad works on the Amazon Fire TV (mostly)

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:59 pm
roussell offline

DomoPad works on the Amazon Fire TV (mostly)

I'm trying out the HDhomerun beta app for Android on the AFTV and was using Apps2Fire to push it to the AFTV from it's currently-installed home on an Android tablet. While doing that, I decided to see if the DomoPad client would run on there so pushed it as well. As expected, it complained about the lack of Google Play Services, a few UI elements are wonky, and my existing control pages don't work at all (although that could be because they're designed for larger/different screens). Other than a few little things, it works surprisingly well - I'm not sure what will happen when the demo expires (other than me sobbing like a child), but Adam, if you decide to make an Amazon Store version, I'll definitely buy again!!! I've got a house full of AFTVs and Kindle Fire Tablets now. The tablets are easy because it's a 5 minute process to install Google Play, but I've been using the TV Interface a decent bit over the past 24 hours, it's brilliant! Photos below!

Terry

IMG_9934.JPG
IMG_9934.JPG (126.18 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

IMG_9936.JPG
IMG_9936.JPG (94.91 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

IMG_9938.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG (85.91 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

IMG_9939.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG (88.72 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

IMG_9937.JPG
IMG_9937.JPG (80.04 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: DomoPad works on the Amazon Fire TV (mostly)

if you decide to make an Amazon Store version, I'll definitely buy again!!! I've got a house full of AFTVs and Kindle Fire Tablets now.

Last I looked it wasn't all that straight-forward to do a conversion from Google Play Store to Amazon Store. I check every now and then, but as of right now I wouldn't hold my breath too much. :-| I could look at any UI issues you see and perhaps there is an easy fix (if you plan to keep using it in some way).

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:55 am
roussell offline

Re: DomoPad works on the Amazon Fire TV (mostly)

RogueProeliator wrote:
if you decide to make an Amazon Store version, I'll definitely buy again!!! I've got a house full of AFTVs and Kindle Fire Tablets now.

Last I looked it wasn't all that straight-forward to do a conversion from Google Play Store to Amazon Store. I check every now and then, but as of right now I wouldn't hold my breath too much. :-| I could look at any UI issues you see and perhaps there is an easy fix (if you plan to keep using it in some way).

Thanks Adam, but don't worry about it if I'm the only one thinking about it. I'm really surprised the app works as well as it does, given it was never designed for this platform, great job! The only things that don't work (with the free version at least) is there is no focus on the side bar. It "clicks" when I tap the navigation buttons on the remote up and down, and the bar will even scroll, but nothing is ever highlighted and clicking on an item does nothing. The other thing is the control panels; the page never seems to get focus. I created a page with just a button on it, but could never move to the button to activate it. It does work well for just viewing specially formatted pages though. On the devices page, the only thing that doesn't work are dimmers. I can select the dimmer device, and get the pop-up control. I can move focus to the slider, and change it using the remote's navigation buttons, but as soon as I stop moving the slider, the control snaps back to it's previous value and no change seen in the actual device.

I may try side loading the play store service like I did on the Fire tablets, and I'll probably just use it as a quick way to hit the devices pages and toggle something instead of getting off the couch and finding the remote. As I said before, don't bother making changes just for me, unless you get really bored LOL.

Terry

Page 1 of 1