DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:57 am
roussell offline

Re: DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Hmm, not sure. I've never actually tried to pay for anything through the Fire. I had already purchased Domopad through another Android device before trying it in the Fire. I would have thought the process would be the same though. Did you check to make sure you were downloading the correct Google APKs for your version of FireOS? The underlying Android version does not match version numbers with the FireOS version so it takes a little digging and Googling to find the Android version. I'd check that first, also check to see if Google Play itself needs an update. I seem to remember it updating itself before.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:13 pm
kwijibo007 offline

It was a few months ago but I used my exisiting Gmail account to sign in and purchase Domopad directly from the Fire.

This was the first time I've purchased anything from the Play Store... Or logged in to it for that matter.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:00 am
biswasg offline

Thanks Roussell and kwinibo007.
I uninstalled and reinstalled google play store. This time, I seem to have got it right. I am able to make purchases on the store. Upgraded Domo Pad to the Professional version.

Still getting an error pairing with the Domopad plugin client.

Posted on
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Double check that you are using the same Google account - and that you only have one Google account on the Fire as it is a bit finicky about multiple accounts at times. This is outside of the application, so would be related to your account or the Play Services installed or something along those lines.

Is the error message explicitly that username/password doesn't match or just that "there was a problem signing in"?

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm
Different Computers offline

Can anyone confirm that the side loading instructions still work in amazon's 5.6 OS update? Through odd wifi interruptions, I set up two brand new Fire 8 tablets differently. The one that is NOT on 5.6 opens all the side load apps fine and runs DomoPad with no trouble. The one that updated to 5.6 first refuses to open any of the side load apps like Google Play.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 pm
CliveS offline

My (UK) 2017 Fire 8 HD is on Fire OS 5.6.0.0 installed 3 Dec 2017 and I have Google Play Store installed with DomoPad, 1Password, TeamViewer, PIA VPN all downloaded from the Google Store and working, bonus was I bought the cheaper version with adverts but now having seen a Fire with the adverts it seems mine arrived without them :)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Clive! Now I know I have some other issue to figure out.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Hmm, I say that like I'm all cocky or something, but I'm not sure how to move forward. I'm stuck at the downloading. Everything downloads, but when I try to open any of them I get a "Can't open file" error.

Security settings are correct and developer is activated.

Using ES File Explorer, I was able to install Google Services Framework, but other downloads get a "Parse Error. There was a problem parking the package." error on install.
Last edited by Different Computers on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:39 pm
CliveS offline

I used the details found at

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

You will be offered newer versions but stick with the ones they point to except for item Item 4 that points to the new 2017 models.

(With thanks to @Busta999 for the link above)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Not sure what was going on, but the links from Clive's xdc devs forum link worked. Seems like there was a problem with the other downloads as the package files were missing some data.

All working now.

Posted on
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:28 am

Buncha models on sale today on Woot.

https://computers.woot.com/plus/amazon- ... _cp_4_wp_4

Posted on
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm
jon offline

+1 on the problems upgrading to Professional on the Kindle Fire.

I made a new GMail account for my control pads, followed the steps above to install Play Services and Play Store. I downloaded DomoPad, went to upgrade it to Pro version. Entered payment information -- declined. Tried PayPal -- also declined.

I futzed around with a few more tries before actually calling Google Payments support. Turns out that all transactions were declined due to a Google "security flag" on the account. The operator I spoke with said it was policy to not disclose the reason for the security flag, but the only thing I did with the account after creating it was log into Play Store on the Kindle Fire.

They cleared the flag after verifying that I'm me (not sure what exactly that proved) and said I should wait "several hours" before trying another transaction. I cleared an old Android phone and logged in to Play Store to make the purchase on a real secure GMS device; prior comments suggest that should carry over to the Fire without any problems (fingers crossed)

tl;dr: don't expect to buy a DomoPad upgrade on a Kindle Fire.

Posted on
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 am
roussell offline

jon wrote:
+1 on the problems upgrading to Professional on the Kindle Fire.

I made a new GMail account for my control pads, followed the steps above to install Play Services and Play Store. I downloaded DomoPad, went to upgrade it to Pro version. Entered payment information -- declined. Tried PayPal -- also declined.

I futzed around with a few more tries before actually calling Google Payments support. Turns out that all transactions were declined due to a Google "security flag" on the account. The operator I spoke with said it was policy to not disclose the reason for the security flag, but the only thing I did with the account after creating it was log into Play Store on the Kindle Fire.

They cleared the flag after verifying that I'm me (not sure what exactly that proved) and said I should wait "several hours" before trying another transaction. I cleared an old Android phone and logged in to Play Store to make the purchase on a real secure GMS device; prior comments suggest that should carry over to the Fire without any problems (fingers crossed)

tl;dr: don't expect to buy a DomoPad upgrade on a Kindle Fire.

It's possible that recent upgrades to the FireOS have made the versions of Google services less-than-ideal. I think the latest FireOS version is 5.6.0.1 but I don't know if they've bumped the underlying Android version with that. Or it may mean the Google isn't allowing "official" apps anymore. Upgrading to DP pro was the one thing I didn't try back when I started this thread, as I had already bought it on a 'regular' android tablet.

If folks continue to have problems, FWIW I have had zero problems with the Walmart 8" tablets I wrote about here. The 7" is a tad slower than the Fire 7, but if DP is the only thing running it's pretty much the same. They're also much easier to lock down to a single-use application.

Terry

Posted on
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:50 am
jon offline

roussell wrote:
If folks continue to have problems, FWIW I have had zero problems with the Walmart 8" tablets I wrote about here. The 7" is a tad slower than the Fire 7, but if DP is the only thing running it's pretty much the same. They're also much easier to lock down to a single-use application.

Terry

Cool. I was able to purchase the upgrade this morning and it propagated over to the Fire no problem, but the UX is still cluttered enough I'm ambivalent about getting any more of them. I noticed I'm getting push notifications from Amazon apps even without an Amazon account activated. I'll check out your Wal-Mart option when I need to add more screens.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 am

Speaking of Fire tabs, older model refurbs are on sale on Woot for $20

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/amazon- ... -tablet-26

Pretty sure this is the first model I bought and it works pretty well on the local intranet. I'm less impressed even with the newer model over the WAN.