DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:31 am
roussell offline

DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

Amazon had the $50 Fire on sale for $35 on Black Friday so I decided to get one to try. It was delivered over the weekend and of course the first thing I tried was DomoPad!!

Since the Fire doesn't come with Google Play installed, you have to do a few things first. I Googled for a bit and found a list of APKs to install (you'll need to enable developer mode and the ability to side-load apps first). After loading the appropriate supporting APKs and then the APK for the play store itself, I was able to search for, and install DomoPad without issue. On first launch I did get an error saying that DomoPad required Google something-or-other that wasn't installed, but it loaded and worked great after that. Wake-on-face-detection doesn't seem to work, but that's probably solved with finding the appropriate software (APK) and installing. All this was done without "rooting"the device BTW.

As for the Fire as an Indigo controller? It works great, the resolution and brightness are good for indoors with a decent viewing angle. The speed seems fine with no perceptible delay compared to faster tablets. All-in-all, it's probably the best $50 (or less if you catch a sale) Indigo Interface available.

If there is any interest, I'll post specific install instructions for installing Google play a bit later.

EDIT: Here are the instructions I followed to install the Google Play store.

1) After unboxing and powering on the Kindle, it did a forced upgrade to Fire OS 5.1.1, I let it do it's thing and then personalized it afterwards.
2) Enable developer mode: Settings --> Device Options --> Tap on the "Serial Number" field like 10 times in a row to enable developer mode (seriously)
3) Enable side-loading of apps: Settings --> Security --> Switch on "Apps from Unknown Sources"
4) In the Fire's web browser (Silk), go to: http://www.epubor.com/how-to-install-go ... -fire.html

I didn't follow the directions, they're for an older version and required rooting the device. Under step one you'll see 6 links to APKs that are linked to dropbox. #6 in that list is only needed if the Fire's launcher doesn't display the Google Play app. Mine did so I didn't install it, I only installed #1 - #5. For each I followed the following wash-rinse-repeat cycle:

1) Tap on the APK link which will take you to dropbox to download. Download it.
2) After the APK downloads, in silk tap on the menu button to the left of the URL bar (the button is 3 horizontal bars) and choose "Downloads"
3) Tap the just-downloaded APK to install, answer the appropriate security and "are you sure" questions.
4) Proceed to download the next APK

After installing APKs 1-5, Google play should be on your desktop. If not install the 6th one (ADWLauncher EX) and follow instructions specific to it at the bottom of the webpage. As I mentioned above, I didn't need it, the Google Play app was on my desktop with all of the other apps. Once it's there, you should be able to tap on it, and when it launches log into the store and download apps as with any other Android device.

I haven't tried anything other than DomoPad, because that's all I wanted on this device. The entire process should take ~15 minutes, hope it helps!!

Terry
Last edited by roussell on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:35 am
durosity offline

Re: DomoPad on the $50 Kindle Fire

I'm tempted to get one of these, so yeah step by step instructions for simpletons like me would be awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:44 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

durosity wrote:
I'm tempted to get one of these, so yeah step by step instructions for simpletons like me would be awesome!

+1 :mrgreen:

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:41 pm
TOPS offline

...and me....if it works for the UK...

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Awesome job, Terry! I investigated getting the application on the Amazon App Store a while back, but the effort involved was too great for the benefits obtained. I do have on my list to be able to disabled the missing Google Services popup error at some point via the settings.

As far as I know, the only things that you will be missing without Google services would be:
  • Previously-purchased and in-app upgrades will not be available. I may be able to create a way for those that have purchased it on the Play store to have access to all features in the future.
  • Geofencing
  • Push notifications

With the appropriate APKs installed you might get some/all of those back, but I am not really sure on the requirements... If you can create a guide I know others will appreciate it! The only thing that made me pause seeing that deal was the resolution -- not quite standard so may need some custom control pages if not using the Devices section.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:10 pm
roussell offline

Ok I'm home now and will dig up the link I used to load the APKs and post exactly what I did. The entire process (including initial Googling) only took about 15-20 minutes so it was super-simple.

As far as I know, the only things that you will be missing without Google services would be:
Previously-purchased and in-app upgrades will not be available. I may be able to create a way for those that have purchased it on the Play store to have access to all features in the future.
Geofencing
Push notifications

Actually, it correctly shows me as a registered "ultimate" purchaser so I think that's all-good. I don't know if you could make your first purchase via this platform, but it seemed to work fine for a subsequent install. Adam, this device is named "Terry's Fire" if you capture that in your logs... As this is a WiFi-only device and will stay at the house I'm not too concerned with geofencing, but the push notifications might be nice...

Ok, off to make some instructions.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:47 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Actually, it correctly shows me as a registered "ultimate" purchaser so I think that's all-good. I don't know if you could make your first purchase via this platform, but it seemed to work fine for a subsequent install. Adam, this device is named "Terry's Fire" if you capture that in your logs... As this is a WiFi-only device and will stay at the house I'm not too concerned with geofencing, but the push notifications might be nice...

I thought about that after I posted - I was just listing the things that depend on Google Play Services... but if you got the Play Store APK installed then makes sense that it could read the previous purchases.

As far as the push notifications, I think it should be in the core Google Services APK, but you can look for GCM as a keyword (Google Cloud Messaging).

Adam

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:45 am
roussell offline

I just posted instructions in the first post. Sorry I didn't get it last night. I had an unexpected guest and well, she's prettier than you guys so she moved to the front of the line!! :D

Terry

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:07 am
durosity offline

roussell wrote:
I just posted instructions in the first post. Sorry I didn't get it last night. I had an unexpected guest and well, she's prettier than you guys so she moved to the front of the line!! :D

Terry

I can doll myself up! And I look great in a skirt.. Well, it's a kilt.. But same thing!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:36 pm
roussell offline

durosity wrote:
I can doll myself up! And I look great in a skirt.. Well, it's a kilt.. But same thing!

One of my closest friends is from "across the pond" and he already threatens me with kilts, codpieces, and forcing me to be little-spoon (he's 6'5"). So as with him, I'm gonna have to take a pass on your most generous offer. :shock: Thanks though! :| :|

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:40 pm
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
As far as the push notifications, I think it should be in the core Google Services APK, but you can look for GCM as a keyword (Google Cloud Messaging).
Adam

Thanks Adam, I'll check it out and report back.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:47 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

Thanks for the writeup and link roussell!

Posted on
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:46 am
roussell offline

Last night I found and app called "Any Launcher, No Root (Launcher Hijack V2.1)" for the Kindle Fire tablets. As the name implies, it allows changing the launcher on the Fires without having root access. The app seems to work really well on my 7" Fires running a mix of FireOS 5.3.2.1 and my 8" running 5.3.3.0. To install it, just enable dev mode and side loading, then follow the link below to read about the app and travel on to the download (the app is on GitHub and is linked in the article)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026

After you have downloaded and installed the app, go to Settings --> Accessibility on the Fire, scroll to the bottom and enable the new accessibility service "To detect home button press". Once that's enabled go to the Google Play Store (you HAVE already installed that, haven't you???) and pick your favorite launchers. Once they're installed, open the "Any launcher" app that you installed and just select which launcher you want to be the default. You notice a slight blink when you press the home button as it switches to the Fire Homescreen, but then is captured by the new launcher you create. The change is near instantaneous though, probably less than 1/2 second.

Adam, this got me thinking - is there an easy way for DomoPad to register itself as a Launcher? It would be awesome to just hit the home button and have Domopad take over. That, along with the possibility to have an specific control page start on app launch, or app focus, would be a killer combination.

Even without the ability to root, I think these little Fire tablets are the vest value in controllers. They're on sale now BTW - $10 off of the 7" and $20 off of the fantastic 8".

Terry

Posted on
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Adam, this got me thinking - is there an easy way for DomoPad to register itself as a Launcher? It would be awesome to just hit the home button and have Domopad take over. That, along with the possibility to have an specific control page start on app launch, or app focus, would be a killer combination.

It should be able to do that -- though of course if you chose it as the Home screen it would not natively have the App Drawer available. I guess I could add a screen to view other applications in that case (basically simulate an App Drawer).

This wouldn't be a secure kiosk mode, but definitely a quick way to provide a "convenience" kiosk mode.

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Busta999 offline

In the U.K. They were selling the 7" for £29 - I bought a slack handful after testing the first one. When my iPad Mini died replaced it with the 8" Fire for £89, with Plex, Amazon Video/Music and Domotics Pad it does pretty ,much everything. I really would like to lock the 7" ones into Indigo controllers.