A lot of Geofencing actions

Posted on
Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:26 am
andarv offline

A lot of Geofencing actions

Hi,
I'm running domoPad and greatfull for the possibility to use android instead of an iPhone, but....
I have a problem with geofencing running actions regardless of my location.
Typically it runs my home mode and immediately then runs my away mode. It can in some cases do this 5-10 times without me moving at all. Is this a problem with my settings in Android (HTC m8) or the app? The radius setting is 150 (assuming it's meters?).

Posted on
Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:43 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: A lot of Geofencing actions

DomoPad doesn't have anything to do with the determination of crossing a geofence boundary -- it just tells the system to let it know whenever the boundary has been crossed and which way (going into or out of the boundary). Based on your description, my first instinct is that your phone is getting its location (at least initial location) via a cell tower and you are right on the edge of two -- cell towers are notoriously inaccurate so it could be that it is bouncing between two towers taking you out of the 150m radius (yes, it is meters).

First check to see what your phone is using for location -- make sure that GPS is enabled and enabled for location. This should be in the Location section of settings -- make sure "High accuracy" is on (wording may vary by phone.) Then try increasing the radius, if feasible.

If either of those make a difference it isn't really your phone or the app, but rather your particular location's peculiarities. Might also be able to test this with a fence in another location, such as around work/home and see how it behaves. I hope to add some additional logging/debugging in there soon, but not really sure that it would help in this case if the phone is saying that a fence was crossed. If you can do those two items above, though, we can start troubleshooting.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:35 am
andarv offline

Typically I have the phone on high accuracy, meaning all on including GPS. I'll try to only use GPS for a time and see if the problem is cell tower / WiFi.

I don't think (but don't know) that the problem comes from cell tower because I work to far away from home. And to rule that out I decreased to 150 from initially 500m.

One way to solve this specific problem for me would be to add a timer function to delay the action group.
Or if you added the functionality in the app :)
Because it sometimes switches rapidly from away /home in this particular instance. And I'm still sitting in the office.

Just to be clear, I super happy about the app and would recommend it to everyone (including iPhone owners)

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:32 am
andarv offline

After one day of only using GPS for positioning the problem with a lot of Geofencing activations have stopped.

So it seams it comes from cell or WiFi positioning.

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:52 am
polycron offline

I had a similar experience and it was a combination of the cell towers and the WIFI. One easy way to see it is by opening up google maps and watch as you bounce all over the place. Especially if you are in a building that has poor GPS signal penetration. As much as I like Android, their location services are not the greatest. You'd think that androids algorithm would ignore moving 2000 feet in less than a second. (tower hopping)

Jeff

Page 1 of 1