Have I got the wrong PowerLinc V2 USB?

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:30 am
kyleputzier offline

Have I got the wrong PowerLinc V2 USB?

I just recieved a PowerLinc V2 USB directly from Smarthome. When I connected it to the new Indigo B1.8, I can control the Insteon devices just fine. It cannot control the X10 ones though.
Looking at the back of the PowerLinc, it says "Rev 1.6". That doesn't sount like Firmware 2.12 to me. Is it the wrong one?

Kyle

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Have I got the wrong PowerLinc V2 USB?

Hi Kyle,

The revision number is different than the firmware version (wish it wasn't!). When Indigo connects, it reports the firmware version in the Event Log. You must have the correct version though, because Indigo won't connect at all to the older firmware versions.

That said, the internal application that runs inside the PowerLinc V2 (not the firmware, but something called SALad Core), may be the incorrect version. I made some changes the other day and posted a new beta that might help. Try re-downloading the Indigo beta to see if it works.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:25 am
kyleputzier offline

(No subject)

I'm not currently at home, but looking at the beta I previously downloaded at work and the latest beta in your downloads section, they both say Beta 5. I'll check for sure when I go home for lunch.

Does the new beta have a different version number (as shown in the Finder's "Get Info" dialog.)

Thank you,

Kyle

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Beta 5 is the most recent, but it wasn't posted until yesterday.

Matt

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:37 am
kyleputzier offline

(No subject)

I must be wrong. I'll check for sure at lunch then.

Kyle

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:46 pm
kyleputzier offline

(No subject)

I checked over lunch and I had beta 2 installed. I installed beta 5 and now Indigo won't connect to the PowerLinc V2. There is no activity in the log.

Is this an indication of incorrect firmware?

Kyle

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

No, if it was the wrong firmware version, then you would get an error message telling you the firmware version was incompatible. It would also note the firmware incompatibility in the Event Log.

What error message are you getting when you try the Indigo->Connect menu item? And what is the LED on the PowerLinc doing -- glowing steady or blinking slowly?

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:58 pm
kyleputzier offline

(No subject)

After reinstalling Indigo and letting it build new prefs (I deleted the app and prefs), I can now connect to the PowerLinc V2. The Indigo log shows that it is v2.12 and also mentions some other techie sounding stuff.
Unfortunatly, it still cannot control the X10 stuff. It show in the log that it has , but it hasn't.
You also asked what the LED is doing. That's difficult to tell. I have a device that tells me what my current energy use for my home is. It also uses the powerline to communicate. It seems to cause the LED's on the Insteon modules to blink when it's transmitting. About once a second.
http://www.theenergydetective.com/
It appears that the PowerLinc is trying to blink at the same rate.

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I suspect that device might be the cause of the X10 send problem. Have you tried turning it off? If the PowerLinc LED is blinking, then the PowerLinc thinks it is seeing something like X10 or INSTEON commands on the power line. If it sees X10/INSTEON on the power line, then it holds back from trying to send out new commands. Not sure why INSTEON commands are able to send, except for maybe the fact that they can squeeze out fast enough between the energy detective commands.

Let me know what you find out...

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:25 pm
kyleputzier offline

(No subject)

After disconnecting the T.E.D. (The Energy Detective) device, all works normally now.

Kyle

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I will pass this info up to the appropriate Smarthome folks.

Matt

Page 1 of 1