My thoughts on INSTEON

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

My thoughts on INSTEON

Well, we finally got the public beta of Indigo 1.8 out the door. Adding INSTEON support that is easy to use, especially trying to mask some of the complexities of INSTEON device linking, proved to be more time consuming (err, difficult) than I had originally thought. But in the end, I think we have a good solution and pretty impressive support for a first implementation.

There will be more to come later, like upload support to the PowerLinc V2 and maybe even support for creating and editing INSTEON groups (scenes) directly from within Indigo. But for now, take a look at what is in 1.8 and let me know what you think.

Throughout the last several months I've had my hands on lots of INSTEON devices and have really put them through some stress testing. My thoughts? I think INSTEON is awesome. We finally have a X10 replacement that is much more reliable and faster. And, based on the protocol, there is more potential for professional level home control products to be developed. To top it all off, the INSTEON devices are still prices in the DIYer ballpark ($40 a switch). Of course there are things I would change, features I wish the products had, firmware glitches, etc., .... but for a first generation of an entire line of products I'm sold.

Now, what are your thoughts? If you have any INSTEON devices, then get Indigo 1.8 and the PowerLinc V2 and see what you think.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:25 am
cshotton offline

Looks good so far

I have to say that I concur. My first impressions of INSTEON are that it is solid, works as advertised, and will ultimately replace most of the X10 gear in my home.

Second, it is a JOY to use in a mixed environment with Indigo 1.8. X10 controllers can be made to operate INSTEON devices quite easily, meaning that my entire legacy system can transition piece by piece.

That said, there are some serious drawbacks to INSTEON installations that may bite some people. I live in a 100 year old house, so the electrical system can be problematic at best, with a combination of shielded conduit, professional, and "Harry Homeowner" installations to contend with.

The biggest problem with INSTEON is the hard requirement for a neutral wire at switch points. Nearly every fixture in my house has a switch leg pulled into the box, rather than having the switch placed in-line. That means that only 1 switch in 10 (in parts of the house that are older construction, ironically) have the necessary neutral wire to make this new technology work.

But aside from having to deal with some non-standard wiring issues, I'd still say this is the way for people to go in the future. Keep up the good work on Indigo. It's an awesome asset to the Mac.

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:27 pm
Alexander offline

Re: Looks good so far

cshotton wrote:
The biggest problem with INSTEON is the hard requirement for a neutral wire at switch points. Nearly every fixture in my house has a switch leg pulled into the box, rather than having the switch placed in-line. That means that only 1 switch in 10 (in parts of the house that are older construction, ironically) have the necessary neutral wire to make this new technology work.

This will be ameliorated in some cases when Insteon fixture modules come out; if you have an always hot line at the fixture, you can have the light physically controlled at the fixture and use the load line to run neutral to the switch box. I do this today with a SwitchLinc at the fixture for the one box in my house without a netural, though you have to be a little attentive to thermal issues. (Blew up a SwitchLinc that way...)

Page 1 of 1