Insteon Fanlinc

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:12 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Insteon Fanlinc

I'll let you guys work the bugs out before I order a couple...or wait for version 2 which includes a forward/reverse as well as speed control.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You'll probably be waiting a long time - forward/reverse is something that specifically has to be supported in the fan hardware (no standard) so it's extremely unlikely Smartlabs could add that functionality in a generic way.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am
paduck offline

bbruck wrote:
I just ordered two - they didn't say anything about a delay - I'll be interested to see if they work with my casablanca intellitouch fans.

I've got one on order - I could add as many as four more. My fans aren't "intelli-anything" so I'm hoping installation will be easy. Looking forward to Indigo integration. I guess I'll have to program it by hand in the meantime.

Good luck adding it to v5.1!

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:12 pm
kinkyrastaman offline

Wanted to get a couple of these but notice this

Note: FanLinc is not compatible with fans that have remote control built into the motor.
as part of it description. How do you know if REMOTE IS BUILT IN THE MOTOR?

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:26 pm
paduck offline

kinkyrastaman wrote:

Note: FanLinc is not compatible with fans that have remote control built into the motor.

If it has a remote, it is going to effectively be built into the motor. I think the Fanlinc works by controlling how much juice it sends to the motor (effectively, a dimmer). You leave the fan on its highest setting via the pull chain and the power is regulated by the Fanlinc, setting the speed at one of three levels(or off).

So, if you have a pull chain, then you are good.

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:34 pm
bobeast offline

kinkyrastaman wrote:

Typically you will see a removable control box with wires going into the motor housing. It will very often contain dip switches so as to assign a unique remote code.

Regards
Bob E.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 pm
kinkyrastaman offline

Thanks guys, I guess i'm out of luck but considering buying new fans. Wonder if they will make one for remote control fans.

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 pm
bobeast offline

kinkyrastaman wrote:
Thanks guys, I guess i'm out of luck but considering buying new fans. Wonder if they will make one for remote control fans.

To be clear, if you see the control box I mentioned then the remote is NOT in the motor, and it will likely work with the fanlinc. The fanlinc essentially replaces the aforementioned control box.

Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:21 am
MountainEars offline

Can someone confirm the dimensions when they get their hands on one? The website says 66.46mm L x 33.017mm W x 9.75mm D, which is pretty small (good). Most of the add-on controllers I think are bigger than this, I want to be sure before I order.

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

2"W x 4 3/8"L x 7/8"H

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:34 pm
paduck offline

jay wrote:
2"W x 4 3/8"L x 7/8"H

For perspective - that's similar in size to an iPhone (not quite as wide and twice as thick). I'll see if my iPhone fits up there in my fans! :lol:

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:17 pm
MountainEars offline

Thanks! Was trying to compare to the "big box" fan controllers, about the same size. Even those are hard sometimes to fit into the fan base sometimes. I have a fan at the top of a vaulted ceiling, I think until I take it down I won't know for sure, just not looking forward to going up and working on it, but we need a switch!

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 pm
paduck offline

Received and installed my Fanlinc today. Works fine with a manual installation. My KPL buttons turn each setting on and off. Might be nice to have Indigo just make that a status switch instead of on/off. I suppose I can control the LED buttons on the KPL from Indigo and indirectly get at the Fanlinc that way. I'll have to experiment...

I think I'm the first to install Fanlinc. My five minutes of fame!

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 pm
bobeast offline

paduck wrote:
Received and installed my Fanlinc today. Works fine with a manual installation. My KPL buttons turn each setting on and off. Might be nice to have Indigo just make that a status switch instead of on/off. I suppose I can control the LED buttons on the KPL from Indigo and indirectly get at the Fanlinc that way. I'll have to experiment...

I think I'm the first to install Fanlinc. My five minutes of fame!

Did you have to wire it up and dangle from the ceiling while you programmed it, or did you pre-wire it to power and program it BEFORE you installed it?

Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm
paduck offline

bobeast wrote:
Did you have to wire it up and dangle from the ceiling while you programmed it, or did you pre-wire it to power and program it BEFORE you installed it?

I just had it dangle for the programming. Then I connected the fan and made sure I had the right wires in to the light. And then I sealed it up. On the plus side, when you hit the various buttons on the KPL, the lights on the Fanlinc change, so you know it is working. Downside is those lights can leak out of the fan if viewed from certain angles...