PowerLinc 2412U (PLM) Support

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:47 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

CharlieParker wrote:
Sorry to keep bugging you. (OK, not really :wink: )

I seem to be the only one with problems with the 2412 (but none with 2414) and after a lot testing (and relinking) I'm thinking my 2412 may be off. But the 2412 support is beta so, do you think the next release will help with the reliability? Is that even plausible? Or do I call my 2412 a dud and replace it?

The next release fixes a few minor 2412 issues, but it won't help with the type of no ack errors you are seeing. I've seen those before during group cleanup commands when the receiving module doesn't have a link for that particular PowerLinc Group/Scene. So try to do a full re-sync of one of the responding modules that isn't responding correctly to see if that helps. Maybe even a factory reset of the remote module, then re-sync.

The other possibility, as you mention, is that your PowerLinc 2412 is malfunctioning. But if it works most of the time or it is only specific modules that are not working, then I suspect that isn't the case. It might be the case that the signal strength (or receiving sensitivity) of the 2412 is slightly less than that of the 2414. If you have INSTEON signal problems or your INSTEON network is just borderline reliable with the 2414, then maybe a subtle change in the 2412 signal strength is causing it to drop below the threshold of reliability.

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:49 am
CharlieParker offline

(No subject)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to give up on it for the time being, but not quite yet (1 more FilterLinc installed). Would what I'm seeing now be consistent with signal strength / receiving sensitivity issues?
Code: Select all
  Sent INSTEON       "Corner" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON       "Dining Room" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON       "Downstairs hall" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON       "Entry" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON       "Kitchen" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON       "Kitchen Undercounter" status request (received: 100)
  Sent INSTEON       "Office switch" status request (received: 100)
  Error              "Office Window" status request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error              "River Window" status request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Sent INSTEON       "Track light" status request (received: 0)
  Sent INSTEON       "TV Corner Lamp" status request (received: 100)
  Sent INSTEON       "TV Stand" status request (received: 100)
  Sent INSTEON       "Upstairs" status request (received: 0)

Note that "Office Window" is plugged into the same outlet as the 2412 but "River Window" is known problematic (along with others that were OK here).

Also, do you think it's worth buying another access point or 2?

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Do those two (Office Window and River Window) always fail Status Request or just some of the time? Try it several times, wait a couple of hours and try it several times again. Any pattern or consistency?

Posted on
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am
CharlieParker offline

(No subject)

Both just fail some of the time. I do it several times in about 15 minutes over several days. No particular pattern but some devices fail fairly often (River Window) and others hardly ever (Office Window).

I think I will give another AP a shot, the more problematic device are physically close together and I'd guess on the same circuit (need to check that).

Thanks again.

Posted on
Mon May 28, 2012 2:18 pm
dherren offline

V572A All Housecode X-10 transceiver

Has anyone else had problems with the 2412U not receiving signals from the V572A All Housecode X-10 transceiver?

I had to upgrade my 2414 because it didn't work with the new Insteon wall switches I just bought, which also forced me to upgrade Indigo to 5.x which also required the purchase of a Mac Mini to run it (I had been running happily for years on an old PPC machine). So, now many many hundreds of dollars later, and Insteon 5 connected to the 2412 don't get the V572A signals.

Posted on
Mon May 28, 2012 7:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: V572A All Housecode X-10 transceiver

dherren wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with the 2412U not receiving signals from the V572A All Housecode X-10 transceiver?

I had to upgrade my 2414 because it didn't work with the new Insteon wall switches I just bought, which also forced me to upgrade Indigo to 5.x which also required the purchase of a Mac Mini to run it (I had been running happily for years on an old PPC machine). So, now many many hundreds of dollars later, and Insteon 5 connected to the 2412 don't get the V572A signals.

The V572A sends just plain old vanilla X10 commands so it should work. Do you have any other X10 modules that transmit X10 power line commands? If so, then do those work? Try plugging the V572A temporarily into the same circuit/power strip as the 2412U. Does it work there? If your 2412U isn't getting any X10 commands, then it might be malfunctioning on the X10 side of things.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2012 3:16 am
dherren offline

matt (support) wrote:
The V572A sends just plain old vanilla X10 commands so it should work. Do you have any other X10 modules that transmit X10 power line commands? If so, then do those work? Try plugging the V572A temporarily into the same circuit/power strip as the 2412U. Does it work there? If your 2412U isn't getting any X10 commands, then it might be malfunctioning on the X10 side of things.

I'll see if I can find any old X10 modules to test with. At present, I only use X10 for RF and motion detection.

The V572A and 2412U are three floors apart so getting them plugged in together might be difficult. Note that virtually the same configuration with a 2414U worked flawlessly, so I'm now leaning to a defective 2412U.

Posted on
Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 am
dherren offline

OK, so I plugged in an X10 appliance module as well as one of the old X10 RF receivers. My 2412U is apparently not receiving any X10 signals at all--nothing is getting logged. However, when in the Indigo client, when attempting to control the appliance module, Indigo logs that it has sent the code, but the module doesn't see it,

Posted on
Thu May 31, 2012 6:37 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep, sounds like you have a malfunctioning 2412U. Let us know how the replacement works.

Posted on
Thu May 31, 2012 1:32 pm
dherren offline

matt (support) wrote:
Yep, sounds like you have a malfunctioning 2412U. Let us know how the replacement works.

In the interests of complete information, everywhere I said 2412U above, should have been 2413U. Sorry. Nonetheless, everything else remains true. (in my defense, I ordered a 2412 but they sent a 2413--not sure what the difference is except that the 2412 has a passthrough outlet (which I miss) while the 2413 does not.

Just now on the phone to tech support with Smarthome. They're of course suggesting that this is Indigo's fault, but they did suggest doing a hardware reset on the interface. I'll do that and see what I discover.

Can someone explain how descending model numbers is an "upgrade"? How is that the 2414U doesn't talk to the currently released Insteon wall switches but the older (once even discontinued but recently revived) 2412U does?

Posted on
Thu May 31, 2012 3:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't know why Smarthome numbered them backwards, but the 2412 (and 2413U) are definitely newer than the 2414U. I'm also very confident this is NOT an Indigo issue. Norm at MacHomeStore.com pretests all of his PowerLincs with Indigo before he ships them, and he has recently had a couple that fail with X10 but work fine with INSTEON. His extra QA catches this, but I'm not sure Smarthome is QAing them before they sent them out against X10 anymore.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 am
mgolden50 offline

Re: PowerLinc 2412U (PLM) Support

Hi Matt,

My system seems to be locked up doing a continuous batch update. I am using a 2413U PLM. I was in the process of replacing a KPL when this began. It's been doing this for more than 14 hours. I've powered down the PLM, restarted the Mac, upgraded to your latest release, disconnected the new KPL But nothing stops the endless batch update. Other stuff in the system still works but very very sluggishly. There's no X10 in the system. and no new source of line noise that I can think of.

HELP!

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 am
berkinet offline

mgolden50 wrote:
Hi Matt,

My system seems to be locked up doing a continuous batch update.

Have you tried a hardware reset of the 2413?

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:16 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

Can you copy/paste some Event Log snippets showing what Indigo is doing? A batch update should just cycle once through all of the modules performing the sync. I've never heard of it getting stuck in a look before so if it is still occurring we'll need more details (event logs) that illustrate the problem so we can investigate.

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 am
mgolden50 offline

Re: PowerLinc 2413U (PLM) Support

matt (support) wrote:
Hi Mike,

Can you copy/paste some Event Log snippets showing what Indigo is doing? A batch update should just cycle once through all of the modules performing the sync. I've never heard of it getting stuck in a look before so if it is still occurring we'll need more details (event logs) that illustrate the problem so we can investigate.

Will send event log snippets tonight.

I did try a hardware reset on the 2413U last night. No change in behavior.