INSTEON Motion Sensor One Minute Delay

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Motion Sensor One Minute Delay

dshj wrote:
What would be cool there is to be able to rely on the ambient light sensor of the motion sensor for additional options. Living in the "Fog Belt" in San Francisco, there are days where we need the lights on sooner than the timed setting. We have the sensors all over the house, and being able to set lighting in each room based on the ambient light in that room would be great!

Oh well... :?

You should be able to do that to a degree already though. Using the above script, you can set different minimum light levels for each motion sensor, when the light in those respective rooms goes above that level, the sensor will send out a Group 2 OFF command to Indigo, indicating it's brighter than the set threshold. When light in that room goes below the minimum, the sensor will send Indigo a Group 2 ON command. You can use both those commands to set an Indigo variable for each room, that way you'll know if each room is above or below the minimum set on each sensor. I have this setup in my house and it works well. Now that I can set a different minimum for each room (using the code above), it'll be even more useful. It'd still be nice to query the motion sensor remotely for that information live though.

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Motion Sensor One Minute Delay

Great info -- thanks for sharing your script snippets and the results!

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 pm
midd offline

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor One Minute Delay

Ok, I have been following this thread. Embedded the python code. Thanks for your work. Still have a few questions like how do I go about implementing it? Do I use it as a trigger?

Here's my situation, I have motion sensors in each of my kids room. They always forget to turn the lights off. So I want to enable the sensors to turn on and off the lights at certain times, evenings basically. However, while they are sleeping, I guess I will lower the brightness of the bulb or just not have the lights come on. My boy still gets up in the middle of the night..

Thanks.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This script can't be used dynamically - Motion Sensors have to be awakened in order to change their settings, which means taking the back off and pressing the set button.

Your problem has a different solution: rather than linking the lights directly to the Motion Sensors, you want to have Motion Sensor ON and OFF state changes trigger the lights going on and off via Indigo Triggers. You can add conditionals so that those triggers only work during certain times of the day.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm
midd offline

Thanks for the reply. I did as instructed for the script and held the set button down as I compiled and ran the script.

So I do not need to link the sensor as a controller to the light (responder)? I did that and I use the triggers. I should unlink and just use the triggers?

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm
nsheldon offline

midd wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I did as instructed for the script and held the set button down as I compiled and ran the script.

So I do not need to link the sensor as a controller to the light (responder)? I did that and I use the triggers. I should unlink and just use the triggers?

That's how I do all the motion sensor triggered lights in my house. I use Indigo triggers for pretty much everything, with only a small few actual device-to-device links. Of course, you have to have your Indigo server up 24/7 for this to work (which I do).

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

midd wrote:
I should unlink and just use the triggers?

Correct. Links are directly between devices - Indigo doesn't have any part in that communication so they will ALWAYS fire. Using Indigo as the intermediary allows Indigo to decide based on the conditions if the action should be taken.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:27 pm
philipbasile offline

How is the Insteon Motion Sensor time out supposed to be used ? Its not clear in the documentation when the command should be sent.

I have jumper 5 installed.
Am I supposed to issue the set timeout command in a trigger every time the motion sensor in tripped ?

I have the motion sensor directly linked to a switch to avoid the indigo delay. Will the timeout change work with the direct link ?

-Philip

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are 2 different timeouts - the one set on the motion sensor and the one set in Indigo. Since you're talking about a direct link between the motion sensor and the device, then you're talking about the first one. The timeout will cause the motion sensor to send the OFF command after the motion sensor stops detecting motion plus whatever timeout value is set (0=30 seconds, 255=2 hours, proportional between the two). You don't have to do anything else - no setting values in a trigger, no trigger at all since you've directly linked the motion sensor to the device.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20 pm
philipbasile offline

OK, so forget about directly linking the motion sensor. Can you just clarify for me how to use the set motion sensor timeout action...

The insteon documentation says that with jumper 5 installed that the motion sensor IGNORES the built in dial settings for timeout and that timeout should be set by your home control software.
I confirmed this with smart home support.

The indigo docs call out the following...

Set Motion Sensor Timeout
This action will set the timeout value between the time the motion sensor stops detecting motion and when it sends the OFF command. The timeout values work like this: 0 is equal to 30 seconds and 255 is equal to 2 hours. Values in between are proportional to those values. Note: only revision 2 Motion Sensors with jumper 5 set can be configured.

This range (30secs to 2 hours) is the same range the dial on the motion sensor sets so this action must be setting the value in the motion sensor like setting a ramp rate in a light switch..
But its and ACTION not a property or setting... so how would you use it ?

So here is what I did...
I created a trigger to send the motion sensor timeout to 8.
I DISABLED the trigger
Then I manually execute the trigger and I get and ack error in the event log...
"Motion Sensor Master Closet " raw insteon command; send failed (no acknowledgment)
So I held the button on the motion sensor to put it into linking mode or whatever you call it on a motion sensor.
then I manually executed the trigger again.
This time I see it send a raw command to the motion sensor so it must be setting the motion sensors internal timeout
"Motion Sensor Master Closet " raw insteon command (2E 00 00 03 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)

As I tested values from 0 to 12, I saw the timeout increase eveidenced by the event log entries and the directly linked light going on/off.
The trigger is not enabled, I only used it as a means to set the motion sensor.

So it looks like its working but the implementation as an action has me worried that I'm doing it wrong.

Please clarify how and when you would use the Set Motion Sensor Timeout Action and am I using it correctly ?

Posted on
Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You use the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Set Motion Sensor Timeout... menu item once and only once. Make sure you have the motion sensor awake when you run that command or you'll get the no ack error - it must be awake to receive configuration setting updates. When you set it that way, it will stay set until you change it again. You don't need a trigger at all unless you want to try to dynamically change the value (which would only work if the motion sensor happened to be awake so you're results would be unreliable).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 pm
philipbasile offline

That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know you could set it there, that's why I was using the trigger.

Thank You.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 am
hamw offline

Quick question: Do we need to rerun these commands each time a battery is changed, or are the adjustments persistent?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not positive of the answer, but I would expect them to be persistent across battery changes.