How reliable/hasslefree is Indigo and Insteon?

Posted on
Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:17 pm
gstuartw offline

(No subject)

jay wrote:
Once you have Indigo installed and talking to the PowerLinc, you can just define each device within Indigo - you'll just need to know the INSTEON address for each.

How do I determine the address for each?

jay wrote:
BTW, I personally like using a laptop - built-in UPS... ;)

Excuse the ignorance but what is the "built-in UPS"? The only reason I might go to a Mini is to let it run without having to keep a monitor connected versus the iBook which will have to sit open 24/7. Besides collecting dust, that kind of limits where I can keep it.

I did just spend some time at the iFixIt site studying how to disconnect the display from the body of my iBook. That might be a solution because if I can lay the iBook out flat then I could also mount it flat on a wall inside a closet like an alarm panel. :D

Posted on
Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

gstuartw wrote:
How do I determine the address for each?

It's on a sticker on each device - write the #'s down as you install each so you'll have a handy list.

gstuartw wrote:
Excuse the ignorance but what is the "built-in UPS"? The only reason I might go to a Mini is to let it run without having to keep a monitor connected versus the iBook which will have to sit open 24/7. Besides collecting dust, that kind of limits where I can keep it.

UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply - if the power goes out the machine keeps running if it's plugged into a UPS. Many of us who have servers have UPSs as part of our systems. It was a bit of a joke... ;)

As for the lid, well, just put something between the lid and the body so that it won't close all the way, but will mostly close......

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:41 pm
gstuartw offline

(No subject)

UPS! Doh! Laptop...battery...UPS! You got me!

Over thinking the open laptop issue. K.I.S.S. Put a foam wedge in, keeps lid open enough, seals out dust. Not as sexy as a wall mounted iBook but much easier!

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:16 pm
gstuartw offline

(No subject)

Ok, I downloaded the Indigo on a 45 day trial. As I was attempting to install the software my HDD crashed!

So now I'm wondering, do I repair the G4 iBook or get a Mac Mini? I know I can us my TiPowerbook as a monitor when needed, but I was curious...can I use my iPhone to set up devices etc and not bother with a monitor?

Posted on
Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

The iPhone client doesn't allow creation of anything - only viewing and operation of devices, action groups, an control pages, and (for the moment) viewing of variable values.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:00 pm
hamw offline

(No subject)

I guess I should update this thread, since I originally asked the question before purchase and have now had Indigo for about 9 months or so.

I was having some troubles with it not properly controlling a couple of switches, but moved the whole system to an AV closet under my steps. Surprisingly that corrected the whole thing, and Indigo runs very very well. Matt said to try this, but it is truly amazing that the one place I could move it to actually worked better.

The major issue now is communication with my home network. I have an old G4 tower running the sw and it "falls off the network" for lack of a better term every so often, and generates a dialog box. This locks up iTunes control completely until I manually go in and close the box. Were it not for that it would be basically error-free. Any ideas on how to automatically close the box?

So, it works well. I recently got an iPhone and the Indigo Touch app and the Apple Remote app. Great combo. Now I just need to figure out how to model buttons to send serial signals to my audio switch.

Posted on
Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

hamw wrote:
The major issue now is communication with my home network. I have an old G4 tower running the sw and it "falls off the network" for lack of a better term every so often, and generates a dialog box. This locks up iTunes control completely until I manually go in and close the box. Were it not for that it would be basically error-free. Any ideas on how to automatically close the box?

I'm not clear on what's happening here - can you more fully describe the symptoms and who/what the dialog is that's causing the system to hang?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm
hamw offline

(No subject)

Apparently the computer loses its connection with the Airport server and then re-establishes connection later. At that time a box comes on telling me that I'm now logged on to my home network. Until closed, it prevents any remote interaction with iTunes (not Indigo, though). Indigo registers an error in the log saying I have an open modal dialog or something like that.

Like I mentioned above, I think this is a network issue with my old computer and generally poor penetration of the wireless in my house. I'm going to get a mac mini to replace this unit--hopefully it will be a bit more reliable. Nonetheless, if I could automatically close these dialogues it would be helpful.

Posted on
Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

hamw wrote:
Apparently the computer loses its connection with the Airport server and then re-establishes connection later. At that time a box comes on telling me that I'm now logged on to my home network. Until closed, it prevents any remote interaction with iTunes (not Indigo, though). Indigo registers an error in the log saying I have an open modal dialog or something like that.

Like I mentioned above, I think this is a network issue with my old computer and generally poor penetration of the wireless in my house. I'm going to get a mac mini to replace this unit--hopefully it will be a bit more reliable. Nonetheless, if I could automatically close these dialogues it would be helpful.

Ah, gotcha. Strange that that dialog is a blocking modal dialog - I thought Apple had gotten rid of all those guys when OS 9 went the way of the dinosaur... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 am
hamw offline

(No subject)

The other thing is iTunes popping up a dialogue that asks if you want to down load a current version, or it can't connect to the iTunes store. I suppose if one is going to have a stand-alone computer running Indigo it's best to disable SW update, iTunes store, etc?

Or is there some way of automatically sending a "no" or "cancel" to these stupid boxes?

Posted on
Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:16 am
hamw offline

Re: How reliable/hasslefree is Indigo and Insteon?

Regarding my last post above, I purchased a used mini which runs 24/7. All software updates for the system and apps are turned off -manual check only - and I moved the routers to get more reliable communication. This has pretty well taken care of those issues.

I recently integrated my RS232 controlled whole house audio system using Serial Bridge. Very very easy to design and program the control pages, much more so than using Crestron, which runs the AV setups in the house. For someone starting fresh, this will be much easier to implement.

So, now a year and a half since my first post, and with over 60 Insteon devices under Indigo control, I think I can answer the question pretty well. Indigo is relatively simple to program yet very reliable and very powerful. Matt and Jay's support is excellent, even with obvious questions and occasional user error-generated "problems". The integration of the Indigo iTouch app has made the whole thing terrific.

Highly recommended.

Posted on
Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:27 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep, I definitely recommend disabling anything that might throw up UI on a Mac you are running as a server. iTunes is particularly egregious, IMO, when it comes to any modal dialogs (update alert, prefs, etc.) because whenever they are visible it totally stops responding to AppleScript commands.

Posted on
Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm
hamw offline

Would add that part of the positive experience has been dealing with the MacHomeStore - I recommend them as a source for Insteon stuff. They have always been straightforward and communicative, and have been supportive when items needed to be returned for various reasons. Very very easy to work with, which, when embarking on a big project like this, makes life so much less frustrating.

Posted on
Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am
norm offline

Appreciate the kind words, Ham.

We're now into our 7th year working closely with Jay and Matt and supporting the Indigo community.
We realize that the most important way to separate MacHomeStore from the "big boys" is to offer customer service above and beyond and we try very hard to always do that.

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Posted on
Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 pm
ethanw offline

My Indigo & Insteon setup has been ROCK solid for over a year now. When I started I had some signal issue but after installing 2 AP's in my house everything is 100% perfect. No failure on the Insteon hardware and the Indigo software works perfectly.
I started with about 20 devices but now I plan to do the rest of the house with Insteon
I hope this helps

hamw wrote:
I've been lurking around here trying to get a sense of whether to go with an Insteon install. It seems like there are not too many complaints with the setup. However, if you all could give some opinions it'd be great.

Most importantly, what about the fact that you have to have your Mac on all the time? I've been a devoted Apple fan for >20 years, and although they are way better than PCs IMHO, they frequently need to be rebooted for one reason or another.

Doesn't this affect the performance of the Indigo software?

Overall how much downtime do you experience, or how often do you experience downtime, in your system? Does it frequently need a tweak to keep it going? I know the PowerLinc stores much of the system logic, but is the system dead on reliable, with or without the mac?

What is the real-world status of any kind of iPod integration? I would like two way communication, although it is not mandatory.

I've read about the IR linc and EZUIRT. How much of a hassle are these to program and control? Without an iPod, I'll be using Crestron touchpanels to send IR to Indigo. Any problems with signal reception, transmission, etc?

Overall it looks like a great system, and Matt seems to do a bang-up job with support. Just would like some real world input.