Official EZUIRT How To Thread

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Official EZUIRT How To Thread

chrisla23 wrote:
Is it possible to use the SHN utility to setup the EZUIRT to work with Indigo/ Powerlinc group?

I think that might work, but I am not positive.

chrisla23 wrote:
I downloaded and tried the SHN utility software, which does seem to recognize the IR codes as an NEC style code, but the "Virtual button presses" seem to not match up to powerlinc groups in Indigo.

Does the SHN utility not show a PowerLinc Group number for the virtual button presses? Once you know the group number, if it works, then you should be able to have Indigo send out that PowrLinc Group/Scene ON command.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 pm
chrisla23 offline

Does the SHN utility not show a PowerLinc Group number for the virtual button presses? Once you know the group number, if it works, then you should be able to have Indigo send out that PowrLinc Group/Scene ON command.

It does, and I tried that route. It did not seem to work. I tried just blindly sending an "on" to a group I had not configured, which did nothing. I also tried over-writing one of the groups with the same number of a virtual button I configured with SHN. I then went back thru and set up a couple of more codes in Indigo, and went back thru the virtual button presses in SHN doing a "read" on each (1-40). The only ones with codes that were not the default X10 ones were the ones I previously put in, and none of those were overwritten. I did see evidence of the two codes I entered with Indigo in the EZUIRT in the device links tab, neither of the group numbers matched up to the powerlinc group numbers though.

I think I'm on a wild goose chase and should try a different IR solution... It's clear your part works as it can control my TV just fine. If all else fails, I'll just hack up the original remote and use an EZIO.

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:01 pm
chrisla23 offline

I must be a glutton for punishment I went at it some more with the SHN utility.

One example code as read from Last IR Code Read from the SHN utility as NEC 0X0 0X4.

So I tried to create the link to the responder (my 2413U) as:

Type Large
Link record number 1
Device ID 13.AF.2
Group 23
Responder
Device Link Data 3 0 4

That seemed to go ok, and I see the links when I reconnect to Indigo and do Manage Powerlinc Links. When I send an on however I get:

Code: Select all

Sent INSTEON        "PowerLinc Interface" on (group/scene 23)
  Error               "bedroom IR module" on (group/scene 23 cleanup); failed (no load detected)

One thing I notice is that one of the test entries I made using the normal indigo procedure had a data of 4 0 4 that would be NEC Extended (4) and not NEC (3) as the SHN utility reads.

This all sounds allot like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7954

Any ideas? What does no load detected in this instance mean?

Thanks!

-Chris

Posted on
Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

The "no load detected" error is a bit off in this case. Indigo's logging is assuming it is a light/lamp module but it isn't, so the logging isn't accurate. But the error means the unit is not responding with an ACK to an INSTEON group cleanup command like it should. This could happen if the link the EZUIRT isn't defined.

I'm still a bit confused as to what is and what is not working. Sounds like the EZUIRT is working for some of your A/V equipment but not your TV. Does this mean it does not work even when using only the SimpleHomeNet utility? If it doesn't work from there (just ignoring Indigo), then it definitely won't work from Indigo. I think the most likely problem is that the IR code isn't supported (despite the fact that the SHN utility thinks it is an NEC code).

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 pm
anode offline

I give up with the EZUIRT, just unreliable garbage. Worked fine for about a year, but can't add/change anything still get same problem. (I"m really getting concerned with the longevity of Intsteon, just had a keypad link/dimmer go south)

I'm also too scared to blow it out and start fresh since 1/2 of what I want works, don't want to lose that also.

I'm scared to try Itrans but seems to be the more stable solution.
(and the website is a bear to figure out what you need)

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

anode: there are a couple of 3rd party Global Cache plugins available for Indigo 5 (here and here). Just FYI - they should make integrating IR control into Indigo easier.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm
anode offline

Thanks Jay, maybe I'll got the GC route. Closer to home.