Official EZUIRT How To Thread

Posted on
Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Official EZUIRT How To Thread

The EZUIRT can act both as an IR receiver (then firing Trigger Actions in Indigo), and an IR transmitter (sending IR commands as the result of a PowerLinc Group/Scene being sent).

To use the EZUIRT as an IR remote control receiver, I would suggest reading this forum thread (start around the 3rd post).

Configuring the EZUIRT to transmit IR commands is a bit cumbersome (as is configuring it to be an IR receiver). This is mainly because you not only have to link it with the transmitting module (the PowerLinc in this case), but you also have to teach it IR commands. Not all IR commands are compatible with the EZUIRT, although I believe it supports more brands than the IRLinc. Here are the steps that can be used with Indigo 3.0.6 and higher to define a PowerLinc Group/Scene that sends an IR command:

1) Define a new Device in Indigo for your EZUIRT.

2) Choose Interface->Manage INSTEON PowerLinc Links... menu item.

3) Select an unused PowerLinc Group/Scene number from 1 to 31 for sending these EZUIRT commands. Note the EZUIRT will not respond to PowerLinc Group/Scene numbers higher than 31.

4) Select the undefined link in the list and then from the responder popup menu control (near the bottom), select the Device name for your EZUIRT device.

5) The PowerLinc will now automatically enter controller linking mode and will wait for responders (the EZUIRT in this case) to link.

6) Press and hold the SET button on the EZUIRT for 3 to 4 seconds. Its LED will blink slowly to indicate it linked with the PowerLinc.

7) Teach the EZUIRT the IR commands you wish it to send by successively activating your original IR remote while pointing it at the EZUIRT's IR receiver. The EZUIRT's side LED will flash briefly, then should resume slow blinking after each IR command learned.

8) Repeat step #7 for each IR commands you want the EZUIRT to send as part of this PowerLinc Group/Scene. You can add up to 8 IR codes total.

9) Press and hold the SET button on the EZUIRT for 3 to 4 seconds to end the EZUIRT programming. The LED should glow solid again.

10) Press the Finished button inside the PowerLinc Links dialog. A new EZUIRT item should have been added to the list.

11) To test the programming, press the Send On button at the top right of the PowerLinc Links dialog. The IR Signal LED should blink indicating the IR command was sent.

Note the EZUIRT does not have a built-in IR transmitter. You must plug an IR emitter into one of the transmitter jacks on the bottom.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:34 pm
hamw offline

(No subject)

Can you set up a macro/sequence in Indigo and attach a single unique IR code to trigger the action? eg press one button on the remote, send a single code to EZUIRT which will then dim light A, B and C; set AC to 68 degrees and other Insteon controllable actions?

And, does the EZUIRT come with a built-in series of commands it recognizes and transmits, or does one need to teach it every IR command one wishes to use? A built in library would make programming much simpler.

Posted on
Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

hamw wrote:
Can you set up a macro/sequence in Indigo and attach a single unique IR code to trigger the action? eg press one button on the remote, send a single code to EZUIRT which will then dim light A, B and C; set AC to 68 degrees and other Insteon controllable actions?

You can create a Trigger Action in Indigo that, upon the EZUIRT receiving an IR command, executes as many actions as you want. The actions can control lights, set the thermostat, send an email, etc. That requires using Indigo as the automation controller, so Indigo must be up and running. You can also define, using just the EZUIRT and other modules (no Indigo), an INSTEON group/scene that controls multiple INSTEON modules with a single IR command. IMO, it is cumbersome to setup and difficult to modify though, so I prefer to let Indigo handle the logic after the EZUIRT sends out a command.
hamw wrote:
And, does the EZUIRT come with a built-in series of commands it recognizes and transmits, or does one need to teach it every IR command one wishes to use? A built in library would make programming much simpler.

You need to teach it every IR command to which you want it to respond.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2009 4:44 am
bbruck offline

(No subject)

A few questions...

1. How can you tell if the transmitter is compatible with your remote? I want to use the transmitter to control my stereo/TV/cable/Tivo and am using a Tivo remote. The red light on the EZUIRT glows when I send the command from the Tivo remote, but does that mean that the devices are compatible, and that the EZUIRT can successfully send that same code to the stereo on command?

2. I also have a remote for my Hunter Duette shades that I *think* is IR, again if I can get a red light on the EZUIRT does that mean they are compatible?

3. Can I buy an IR remote that would control my gas fireplace that anyone's tried?

4. How far can emitters/broadcasters reach? They often seem to be mounted against the stereo component, but are some sold that are compatible with the EZUIRT that can reach, say, 20 feet?
Last edited by bbruck on Tue May 05, 2009 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2009 4:47 am
bbruck offline

(No subject)

Well I answered my own #4 - the IR Blaster- IR Emitter For Smarthome Products apparently blasts for 35 feet!

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

bbruck wrote:
1. How can you tell if the transmitter is compatible with your remote?

According to the quick-start guide, the LED with go from slowly blinking to quickly blinking during the step where it learns the IR command. But you have to go through the steps to see that behavior. I'm not sure if the LED just glowing while not following the programming steps tells you if it is compatible or not. I imagine SimpleHomeNet.com's forum or emailing them would get you the definitive answer though.

Posted on
Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:06 pm
anode offline

(No subject)

Couple of Qs about the EZUIRT.

Do they come with any IR blasters?

Can you run multiple IR-LEDs on a single 'run'? If so whats the max?

Eh, scratch that. found the info.

Posted on
Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:47 am
anode offline

(No subject)

Just got one in.
Can I send it commands from applescript? ie; turn on receiver, etc.

Even if its a poke/peek style (man, poke/peek brings back memories of my old VIC-20)
Any data on the peek/pokes for the eziurt?

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Indigo supports the EZUIRT via INSTEON Group/Scene commands. So you'll create a new PowerLinc Group/Scene and add the EZUIRT as a responder and follow the manual linking process.

The EZUIRT doe support peek/poking, so I think you could manually poke link records to it. I believe SimpleHomeNet has a command set PDF on their website with details. I haven't looked into the details though so you'll be blazing a new trail. :-)

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 pm
anode offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Indigo supports the EZUIRT via INSTEON Group/Scene commands. So you'll create a new PowerLinc Group/Scene and add the EZUIRT as a responder and follow the manual linking process.

The EZUIRT doe support peek/poking, so I think you could manually poke link records to it. I believe SimpleHomeNet has a command set PDF on their website with details. I haven't looked into the details though so you'll be blazing a new trail. :-)

If I got it right, the EZUIRT supports 31 scenes and each scene can be up to 7 commands deep (7 items on a macro)?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole Insteon linking and groups.

Blazing a new trail is par for the course with me. Typically a new endeavor drops me into no less then intermediate level.

My overall plan, though not sure if it will fly, is to record/teach the IR codes then just call what I need when needed.

(Already found a prob. My Yamaha receiver has separate on ad off commands and the EZUIRT can't seem to send the off command; does fine with on and changing inputs/outputs etc)

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:06 am
anode offline

Re: Official EZUIRT How To Thread

Having a prob with my EZUIRT.
Its been working fine, but went today to add in a few more 'learned' IR codes.

When I select the EZUIRT as the responder (from manage power lincs) I get the pop up below. Then once I go through the hold the EZUIRT set button, send IR to EZUIRT, then either hit the <finish> or the set button (any combo results in the same failure) The responder jumps back to - unknown device -
The previously programed command work, are there and have the EZUIRT as the responder.

Indigo 4.1.1 and Leopard 10.5.8 Intel 2GHz 1 GB Ram
Resynec lincs didn't help.
Edit: Revisit. Re-syncing the device alone fails, but the group scenes work. ???
Attachments
Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz039.jpg
Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz039.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 24334 times

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 pm
chrisla23 offline

I just purchased an ezuirt and I am seeing the same as anode describes above.

Any ideas?

-Chris

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2011 2:15 pm
chrisla23 offline

I may have solved my own problem.

It seems the 4-10 seconds listed in the directions is somewhat inaccurate depending on how you are counting. It works with holding the button for about 4 of my "Mississippi" counts but by 10 Indigo has given up and the responder defaults back to unknown.

Having trouble with the IR codes of the Air Conditioner I'm ultimately trying to control, but it works to turn off my Vizio TV (via a Harmony remote btw).

-Chris

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 am
ckeyes888 offline

Given it seems the EZUIRT and IRTrans are virtually the same price I'm curious
if someone has found some advantage to using a EZUIRT?

Carl

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2011 3:30 pm
chrisla23 offline

Is it possible to use the SHN utility to setup the EZUIRT to work with Indigo/ Powerlinc group?

Following this procedure I have been able to repeatedly make it work to control my Vizio TV. It won't seem to work to control the A/C unit I'm really trying to control though. It appears to receive the code and the red led blinks in a pattern, but then when I send the "on" both the red led and the IR led (as viewed thru my digital camera) are just on solid. This only seems to happen with the A/C unit. I would think it was just an incompatible code format if not for the fact that the SHN utility at least claims to recognize it as NEC type.

I downloaded and tried the SHN utility software, which does seem to recognize the IR codes as an NEC style code, but the "Virtual button presses" seem to not match up to powerlinc groups in Indigo.

As to why not irtrans, the main benefit to me was the possibility to have it be consistent hardware with the rest of my Insteon HA. That may be the next option to try though.

Overall it's clear that the Insteon IR module are not quite as up to par as the others, I've never spent more than 30 seconds getting other modules to work aside from wiring.

Thanks,

-Chris