Official IRLinc How To Thread

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:56 am
CraigM offline

(No subject)

Harmony 880 IR Remote
IRLinc

Having trouble programming my IRLinc per pwfletcher's instructions.

I have made 3 custom buttons in Harmony [UP, DOWN, STOP]
I have made an IRLinc device in Indigo 3.0.4

- Press & Hold IRLinc set button 5 sec then release. [LED off]
- Push the remote's custom button named 'UP'. [IRLinc in Flashing Mode]
- 1 tap of the IRLinc set button to program an ON COMMAND
- Press & Hold Indigo 'Send Pwr Set Button Pressed' for 5 sec then release
- Test by sending the 'UP' button on Harmony to the IRLinc
- Log shows "AV Infrared Receiver" on (button 1)

PERFECT! Everything seems to have gone correctly

Repeat the procedure for button 2 'DOWN'

Same steps, but when I test the command I get nothing in the Log?

I move on to button 3 'STOP'

Same steps, when I test the command I get "AV Infrared Receiver" on (button 3)

?? Success on 1 & 3 but 2 will not program??

If I continue and re-do button 2 it is successful, but testing shows the log "AV Infrared Receiver" on (button 4)

I have done a factory reset of the IRLinc 12x, each time starting the whole process over again, but it refuses to program button 2 as:

"AV Infrared Receiver" on (button 2)

Any thoughts?

Follow-up:

FYI, I have since re-tested all of the above steps on another IRLinc.

Same result Buttons 1 & 3 work, 2 nothing.

I have modified the screen location of the custom buttons on the Harmony, same result. [since this is only a cosmetic preference I knew that it wasn't going to change anything - but I'm desperate and had free time waiting for replies]

I have an EZUIRT receiver, but I have no way to test it since it is not yet in the Indigo DB. So it is getting shipped back today.

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:44 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Press & Hold Indigo 'Send Pwr Set Button Pressed' for 5 sec then release

You are pressing the Indigo button, correct? I think you are since you said Indigo above. Note you do not have to hold it for 5 seconds; Indigo will send the correct command immediately.

What Remote type did you choose in Harmony? The IRLinc works with NEC-brand IR remotes. If you choose one that isn't compatible, then some buttons may not work. I would try a different remote profile. It sounds like the IRLinc doesn't like the IR code for the DOWN button on the remote type you chose.

Regards,
Matt

BTW, I deleted your cross post and added your follow-up post to your original above. Cross posting just makes it harder to find and track conversations for everyone. You can bump thread posts if you think they weren't seen, but note it can take a few hours (or even a day) to get a reply to a message.

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:18 am
CraigM offline

(No subject)

As stated it is a Harmony 880

Yes, I'm pressing the Indigo button.

The remote is NEC compatible

The 'Down' button as you refer to it as is NOT a hard button on the remote, it is a custom button [next to the remote LCD screen area] that allows to give a custom name [which means nothing to the IRLinc, strictly GUI]. That name is mapped to a user definable command number 1,2,3.. which is nothing more than the users choice of selecting the number that they like.

Most uses that I have spoken to have told me to use the natural numerical sequence of 1,2,3.. as I is the easiest way to keep track of your programmimg.

The IRLink is a 'dumb' device. It doesn't care if DOWN is mapped to 2 or 7. This is all programmed into the remote via Harmony software on the computer.

The fact that 1 & 3 work perfectly is what has me stumped

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:43 am
kendals offline

(No subject)

I have been trying to get my IRLinc to work with my harmony remote 890 and I have not had any luck at all. If I am reading these threads correctly, I need to be programming my remote with an NEC code right? If so, what NEC code should I use? If I find the right code, the light on the IRLinc should light up if it is a valid code right?

I so desperately want to get this to work, but I am getting frustrated with it! Help!

Scott

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

CraigM wrote:
As stated it is a Harmony 880

Yes, I'm pressing the Indigo button.

The remote is NEC compatible

I know you are using the Harmony 880. The Harmony is a programmable universal remote control that can send IR commands emulating hundreds of different remotes. You have to specify when configuring the Harmony 880 which remote control profile to use. When I last setup a Harmony to use with the IRLinc, there was not an IRLinc profile so I had to choose the Xantech Gatekeeper IR profile. It sounds like they have now added the IRLinc?

The instructions say:
Code: Select all
Point the remote at IRLinc’s IR Receiver from a distance of more than 6 inches, and press the power button
   a. If the IRLinc Green LED flashes (bottom of unit) – the IR code is compatible – continue to Linking
   b. If the IRLinc Green LED does not flash – the IR code is not compatible – return to step 4 and try another code. You can also return to step 2 and select a different mode if desired (See Note1 on page 2 for more info)

What happens when you send the code for button 2 (labeled DOWN)?

When walking through all the steps to program the IRLinc, does the LED on the IRLinc behave differently for button #2?

Lastly, when you press button 2, what does the LED on the IRLinc do AND what does the LED on the PowerLinc do? Do they behave differently than when button 1 is pressed?

Matt

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

kendals wrote:
I have been trying to get my IRLinc to work with my harmony remote 890 and I have not had any luck at all. If I am reading these threads correctly, I need to be programming my remote with an NEC code right? If so, what NEC code should I use? If I find the right code, the light on the IRLinc should light up if it is a valid code right?

Several remote controls use the NEC codes, I believe. It doesn't have to be an NEC brand appliance. The instructions say you can tell if the IR code being sent is compatible by:
Point the remote at IRLinc’s IR Receiver from a distance of more than 6 inches, and press the power button
   a. If the IRLinc Green LED flashes (bottom of unit) – the IR code is compatible – continue to Linking
   b. If the IRLinc Green LED does not flash – the IR code is not compatible – return to step 4 and try another code. You can also return to step 2 and select a different mode if desired (See Note1 on page 2 for more info)

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:20 pm
kendals offline

(No subject)

So..I need to program the 890 remote and then test it and if it doesn't work, keep reprogramming it with another code until it works? It sounds like a lot of wasted time to get a harmony code to work with it. Also do i have to use the "power" button on the harmony remote, or can any key do the same. Technically the harmony doesn't have "power" button, but it does have an "off" button but that usually turns off the activity appliances, or will it send a "device" power off if it is in the "device" mode?? (does all that make sense)?

Posted on
Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:08 pm
CraigM offline

(No subject)

kendals

If you are using v7.5 of the Harmony Software [HS] you don't need to worry about that NEC stuff anymore.

When you create a new device in [HS] ADD DEVICE, you tell it via drop-down menu selections:
Device = Home Automation > Light Controller [yes light controller, I know it makes no sense]
Manufactuer = Smarthome
Model = [type in] 2411R

* Factoid* Just to prove that the device is really in their database, type in 2411 in the previous step, and it will prompt you "did you mean 2411R ?"

The fact that the IRLinc is in their DB means that the device codes you will given to use are tested to work with the IRLinc or in other words NEC.

Also, Matt's comment on how to test for compatibility is right. Point ANY remote at the IRLinc sensor and if the green light on the bottom [next to the mini jack plug] lights your good. *BEWARE, if your eyeball isn't right next to the green LED you will never see it. Shame on Smarthome for such poor design. :wink:

If you read many posts regarding this topic, look at their date, they are old [pre HS 7.5] Back then you did have to waste a lot of time finding the magic codes.

*WARNING* restrain yourself from calling Logitech's support line. They barely know their own products and know NOTHING about home automation devices. I spent over an hour with a senior tech trying to convince him that 'home automation modules' don't come with remotes!!

These people live in an AV world [TV's, VCR's...] they think all devices come with remotes. His final comment was "All devices come with remotes, if you can't find the remote that came with your device I can't help you" !clueless!

The whole point of using a Universal Remote with home automation is that we get to make our own custom remote buttons [the ones next to the LCD section of the Harmony880, sorry I've never seen an 890]. As long as it is programmed correctly you could have a button named FRED that sends command 7 that turns on a ApplianceLinc to which your blender is plugged in. The devices are dumb, as long as they know Button X is associated with module Z your good.

I can save everyone a lot of the pain that I have gone through in the last month in trying to get modules to talk to modules directly. After over 100 hours of troubleshooting I finally gave up. It should work, it must work, but it just doesn't.

The superior way [suggested by Matt] is to let a device transmit a command, set up a trigger in Indigo to 'listen' for that command, and then let Indigo handle the logic. My life has improved greatly since letting Indigo be the brain. Thanks Matt :D

I hope that clears some confusion.

Matt,

Back to my problem.

As per your last post.

What happens when you send the code for button 2 (labeled DOWN)?

Nothing, the IRLinc shows no indication that the signal was received and the Indigo log is blank.

When walking through all the steps to program the IRLinc, does the LED on the IRLinc behave differently for button #2?

No, the visual clues [LEDS] involved were identical for 1,2,3. No indication of anything other than success.

Lastly, when you press button 2, what does the LED on the IRLinc do AND what does the LED on the PowerLinc do? Do they behave differently than when button 1 is pressed?

2414U
- button 1 & 3 = Blink-Blink-Off-On Solid
- button 2 = sometimes nothing, sometimes one blink

IRLinc
same as 2414U

FYI: Green LED always flashes on IRLinc

The most puzzling thing is that if I go back and program #2 again [as in 1,2,3,2] it sticks, but shows up as button 4 [4th programing attempt] in Indigo's log??

I just can't seem to get 2 = 2

Posted on
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Craig,

CraigM wrote:

2414U
- button 1 & 3 = Blink-Blink-Off-On Solid
- button 2 = sometimes nothing, sometimes one blink

IRLinc
same as 2414U

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to explain this. It sounds like the IRLinc isn't sending out a good link/group command (to the PowerLinc) in the failure case. But given that the IRLinc and PowerLinc sometimes blink a bit, it sounds like something is being sent.

Have you tried plugging the IRLinc directly into the PowerLinc's pass-through outlet, and the resetting the IRLinc to factory defaults and reprogramming everything? That would rule out any type of power line signal issue as a culprit.
The most puzzling thing is that if I go back and program #2 again [as in 1,2,3,2] it sticks, but shows up as button 4 [4th programing attempt] in Indigo's log??

The IRLinc internally numbers its INSTEON group/scene commands sequentually starting at 1 (after a factory reset). I don't know why IR code for button #2 failed to take in the IRLinc's slot #2, but once you programmed slot #3 it sounds like it took. There is no relation in the INSTEON group/scene commands sent by the IRLinc to the IR button numbers used, as you have noticed in this case. For example, you could program button #9 to send INSTEON group #1 if it were the first button programmed into the IRLinc.

Again, none of this explains why IR code for button #2 fails when the IRLinc is learning its 2nd INSTEON group/command. I could see it failing once, but it sounds like you have tried it multiple times and it consistently fails, which is what is puzzling.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:57 pm
ctgreybeard offline

"Send PowerLinc Set Button Pressed" - doesn't

I'm programming, or trying, my new IRLinc and all seemed to be going well until I try linking. I've programmed my Logitech Harmony One as an IRLinc and the IRLinc is recognizing the codes (green LED blinks).

When I start the sequence with a 5-second hold on the set button the IRLinc, and press of the remote's button the blue LED on the IRLinc starts blinking slowly. I click the Send PowerLinc Set Button button and nothing happens.

The log looks like this:

Aug 30, 2008 3:48:02 PM
  PowerLinc          Linking - received module button pressed from 0F.57.F3

Aug 30, 2008 3:48:24 PM
  Sent INSTEON       broadcast set button down

but the IRLinc doesn't respond.

The original setup of the IRLinc in Indigo went this way:

Aug 30, 2008 3:22:14 PM
  PowerLinc          Linking - entering linking mode (240 seconds)
  PowerLinc          Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 05.FA.60)
  PowerLinc          Linking - . . . read: INSTEON plc link to controller 0F.57.F3, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
  PowerLinc          Linking - comparing local and powerlinc links
  PowerLinc          Linking - . .  match: remote link is identical to new link 0F.57.F3 group 01
  PowerLinc          Linking - compare complete
  PowerLinc          Linking - sync complete
  PowerLinc          Linking - sending id request for device information
  PowerLinc          Linking - received id request response from 0F.57.F3
  PowerLinc          Linking - initializing remote device "IR Rcvr" (address 0F.57.F3, firmware version 2.2)
  PowerLinc          Linking - initialize complete
  PowerLinc          Linking - syncing remote device "IR Rcvr" (address 0F.57.F3, firmware version 2.2)
  PowerLinc          Linking - unable to remotely sync links for this device type (skipping)
  PowerLinc          Linking - sync complete
  PowerLinc          Linking - device "IR Rcvr" links updated
  PowerLinc          Linking - exiting linking mode

which looks fine to me.

Any ideas?

Bill W

--
Bill W

Posted on
Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: "Send PowerLinc Set Button Pressed" - doesn't

Hi Bill,

Have you tried it with the IRLinc plugged into the PowerLinc's pass through outlet?

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:59 am
ctgreybeard offline

Re: "Send PowerLinc Set Button Pressed" - doesn't

support wrote:
Have you tried it with the IRLinc plugged into the PowerLinc's pass through outlet?
Thank's, Matt. No, but that's my project for today. The PowerLinc is in a tough spot to get to behind the computer desk but I'll try it sometime today. I do have the phases linked by RF and haven't had any problems so far with that sort of thing. But if I can get the IRLinc linked by any means then it should work fine in the "right" spot I guess.

Bill W

--
Bill W

Posted on
Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:23 am
ctgreybeard offline

Looks like the IRLinc might be DOA (Edit: no, now it works)

Well, after posting that I just couldn't get it to sync I tried ONE MORE TIME and was able to get the IRLinc to sync.

I've programmed eight buttons so far and now have to go back to the Harmony One and change the labels, etc.

This ain't easy!

Bill W

--
Bill W

Posted on
Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 pm
CraigM offline

(No subject)

Problem Solved (sort of)

Regarding my previous posts about the IRLinc refusing to acknowledge the second program link into the IRLinc.

Conclusions:

- I don't have a bad IRLinc module, same result on 3 different modules.
- The issue must be in the internal ROM?
- Time to stop troubleshooting and move on.

Workaround:

- Create 2 extra sacrificial 'custom buttons' in the Harmony 880 remote

sacrificial1
sacrificial2
UP
DOWN
STOP

It doesn't matter what you name the sacrificial buttons or what they are linked to. Their job is to get you past problematic program link #2. You will delete them from the remote when finished.

0 - Factory Reset
1 - sacrificial1
2 - sacrificial2
3 - UP
4 - DOWN
5 - STOP

The number sequence [show above] is the literal order of EVERY link you attempt to program into the IRLinc's memory.

It is also the Indigo 'button/group #' found in the Trigger dialog!

IMPORTANT

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep a spreadsheet listing EVERY program attempt [1,2,3...], Button name, IR code used, device controlled, etc. I highly recommend that you perform a factory reset to guarantee you are starting at program 0. [THIS WILL ERASE ALL PROGRAMS IN MEMORY- DON'T DO THIS IF IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO START OVER!!]

Imaging someday you want to create a trigger. How will you ever remember that the module you want to control via IR was program #47 ?

Matt, is there any way for Indigo to 'dump' the data contained in the IRLinc to a text file or the Event Log?

I can finally control my window shades using triggers for 3, 4, 5

0 -
1 -
2 -
3 - UP
4 - DOWN
5 - STOP

For those of you who are curious as to the big picture of what I have automated:

- Harmony 880 IR remote's custom button pressed.
[sends ir ON command to irlinc]
- IRLinc receives ON command
[ON command from irlinc is on power line]
Indigo trigger listens for an Insteon ON command from IRLinc
[indigo trigger performs its action]
Action = close a relay on an EZIO40 device

The EZIO40 has 4 output relays
I'm using the 'normally open' 1, 2, 3 relays
An ON command closes a relay, so in my case:

ON [relay1] closes the contact [UP]
ON [relay2] closes the contact [DOWN]
ON [relay3] closes the contact [STOP]

Wired into those 3 EZIO40 contacts is a Somfy Dry Contact Interface. It has 4 wires which translate to COMMON, UP, DOWN, STOP

The Somfy interface send an RF signal [Radio Frequency] directly to the Somfy LT-30 motors on my battery powered window shades.

So when relay 1 receives an ON command it closes the contact, and I get an UP RF sent to the shades. Relay 2 ON = DOWN, Relay 3 ON = STOP.

See my next post on how to program an ON command

My shades can now be controlled via IR remote, KeypadLinc, and Indigo time/date actions.

Posted on
Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 pm
CraigM offline

(No subject)

How to program an ON [or OFF] command to your IRLinc

Many users have experienced control buttons that work 'every other' time when pressed. The reason is that by default you get TOGGLE mode [on-off-on-off]

So if the device you are trying to control responds to ON only [as in the EZIO40 from my previous post] the the device would only work 'every other' time.

Unfortunately the directions on how to do this are on page 2 of the Smarthome IRLinc guide instead of on page 1 with the basic programming instructions.

The following will assume that you have plugged in your IRLinc and made a new IRLinc device in Indigo.

1) Press & Hold IRLinc set button for 5 seconds
2) Release set button [LED turns off]
3) Aim your IR remote at the IRLinc IR receiver [the thing on the end of the cable]
4) Press the button on the IR remote you want learned [LED Blinks Blue]
5) Tap [rapid press & release] the IRLinc set button [per below]

0 tap = TOGGLE
1 tap = ON
2 tap = OFF

6) In the Indigo device dialog box for your IRLinc press the 'SEND POWERLINC SET BUTTON PRESSED'