Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

That's correct. We can get the modes (hvac and fan), set points, temp and humidity, but we don't get the actual state (heating/cooling unit is on/off) - those we can only get from the broadcast.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:18 pm
hamw offline

Jay, resyncing them worked. Very odd that they would all stop sending their info..... I thought for sure it had something to do with the database, but I guess it is just the signal sent by the adapter?

Appreciate the tip as always. :D

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:27 pm
Empyreal offline

jay (support) wrote:
We'll see what we can do about the specific messages from the thermostat. The larger project is out of scope for Indigo 6.0 GM.

Any word about suppressing the thermostat logging messages?

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Empyreal wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
We'll see what we can do about the specific messages from the thermostat. The larger project is out of scope for Indigo 6.0 GM.

Thanks!

It is better in 6.0.5 and above.

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:45 pm
Empyreal offline

matt (support) wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
jay (support) wrote:

Thanks!

It is better in 6.0.5 and above.

It is, slightly. I think. But yeah, I still get a lot of the lines of the type:

Code: Select all
2013-12-06 13:08:46   Received INSTEON   "Thermostat" temperature changed to 55.0
2013-12-06 13:29:08   Received INSTEON   "Thermostat" temperature changed to 56.0
2013-12-06 13:30:14   Received INSTEON   "Thermostat" temperature changed to 55.0
2013-12-06 13:36:42   Received INSTEON   "Thermostat" temperature changed to 56.0

Is suppressing or configuring an ability to suppress these on the roadmap?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, we suppressed the humidity logging since those can come in really fast, but we left in temperature change logging.

We have on our feature request list adding much better control over logging. No ETA though for it -- it is a big feature and likely won't be in a minor update.

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:18 am
hamw offline

I'd be happy to see the temp logging go as well. If someone really wants to follow the temp changes, all they need to do is set up a trigger and variable.

Edit: along that line, if you suppressed both, couldn't a user set up a trigger to execute on "device state change" - "humidity (or temp) has any change" - with action "write to log"? Would that accomplish the same thing - user control of the logging - without you guys having to rewrite the device interface?

Posted on
Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:43 pm
scriptures4life offline

scriptures4life wrote:
scriptures4life wrote:
Hi Jay & everyone,

At last the first SD card for the Venstar ColorTouch has been released.
Can you comment on whether this Skyport card will be supported by Indigo, or will you prefer to wait for a pure Insteon card?
I am wondering if this WiFi card will allow us o fire photos directly from our phone to the photo frame- that would be cool! However, the fact that this is yet another proprietary, "cost unknown" subscription service scares me. (Their iOS app lists as "Free+"...)

Let's see what everyone can discover about this new accessory.
If we can find a good solution, this will probably push me over the edge to buy Indigo (Pro) for the first time!

http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/Colo ... ?t=skyport
https://venstar.skyportcloud.com/
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vensta ... 2012-05-16

Thanks
Danny

jay (support) wrote:
If there's a publicly available API then someone (not us) could build a plugin for it. There are a couple of WiFi thermostat plugins already that might be appropriate starting points.

We already have too much on our plates to commit to anything else really...

Here is the latest response from Venstar about Insteon support for the T5800 Colortouch Thermostat, and for API support for the Skyport WiFi Key.

26 Dec 2012
Hi,
I hope you're enjoying your T5800 thermostat. Here's an update on our engineering schedule:

1. We have (finally) begun work on the Insteon controller for the T5800, but I do not have a finish date at this time.
2. API is something we're planning on doing but I have no information on the project status or a possible completion date.
3. We have no plans to include HRV control into the thermostat.

You are correct, the Skyport Wi-Fi Key will definitely not integrate with your automation software. Sorry about that.

Best Regards,

John Peil
Venstar Inc.

So not much for now, but at least we can integrate with Indigo once the Insteon SD card is ready. I think this is better anyway as they will eventually be charging fees for the Skyport service.

Cheers!
Danny

Hi Jay-
Venstar has finally released their ColorTouch T5900 (with humidity control and weather display) and at the same time, they've released a backward-compatible API that works with the T5800 thermostats with the Skyport Wifi key.
If you (or someone) can enable this API in Indigo, I will buy it today. Because i couldn't control my HVAC until this point, I haven't bought Indigo, but now I would have reason to.
The details look straightforward at http://developer.venstar.com/index.html
Press release: http://www.venstar.com/press/resources/ ... _01_22.pdf
T5900:
http://www.venstar.com/press/resources/ ... 061313.pdf

Thanks for letting me know Jay.

Danny

All house lights and block heater are Insteon switches. Running Indigo Pro.

Posted on
Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Looks interesting. Maybe one of our 3rd party developers would be willing to tackle a plugin for it. We have far too many other things on our roadmap for us to consider it unfortunately.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:21 pm
thomasw offline

Send Venstar thermostat temp reading to Variable?

Hi Guys,
I have the Venstar T1900 thermostat. Had it for a while now, works great. My question is what Python or Apple Script
will put the Temperature reading in a Variable I created called "House_Temp" ?
I just want whatever the current Temp is, to be shown in the Variable. (The Temp DOES show in the main "devices" window in Indigo.)
The reason I'm doing this is because sometimes I turn the thermostat off when cooking, so I can run an exhaust fan, I don't want the heater running while cooking)
Sometimes I forget to turn the thermostat back on, and leave the house when I'm done. I return later and it is a bit COLD!
I want to set up a Trigger that emails me whenever the Variable "House_Temp" goes below 54°. I already created the Variable, but I need
the Trigger set up with a Python Script that simply updates the Variable to whatever the Thermostat's temp reading is (even if it is off, it still displays the temp reading)
I'm including the Apple Script I tried, but it wouldn't work? I don't know how to write a Python Script?
Thanks,
-Tom
Attachments
Picture 78.png
Picture 78.png (74.59 KiB) Viewed 29639 times

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:40 pm
alang_94526 offline

I just used the "Insert Device State Into Variable" Variable Action to do it on mine.

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:10 pm
thomasw offline

Thanks Alang,
That did the trick! Now I don't need a script to do anything.
-Tom