Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Official Insteon/Venstar Thermostat How To Thread

That means that for some reason the broadcast from the Thermostat to Indigo telling Indigo that the heat went off got lost. Unfortunately, that's the only way we can tell the state of the thermostat - via broadcasts - we can't ask the thermostat to tell us what the state is. Something is causing those messages to get lost - either a collision or some kind of noise. It will likely clear itself eventually (the next time it comes on then goes back off it should correct unless the OFF broadcast again gets lost).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 am
hamw offline

Interesting. So does that mean the stuck state can be ignored (don't need to resync adapter) and it will right itself in time? I just looked and in fact the control page icon is correct again.

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's correct.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am
jthart offline

I have a Venstar 7-Day thermostat set up and working properly, but I hit a little snag...

I have a heat pump with a gas auxiliary heat, and when it was originally installed (apparently) the control board that would switch between the heat pump and the aux heat automatically when the outside temperature is below 40ish degrees was never installed. This means that the only way for me to currently have heat when it is colder than the heat pump can handle is to use the original thermostat and manually move it to the aux heat setting. I do not see a way in Indigo to make this switch, though. Is there any kind of workaround that you guys are aware of, or am I stuck with the old thermostat until I pay $500 or so for the installation of that control board?

Basically, I can set a variable to pull the outside temperature, and if I can find a way to tell the thermostat to manually change to aux heat when that variable drops below a certain temperature I would be set, and I could forego having to add equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

AUX heat isn't exposed through the thermostat adaptor so we can't set it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 pm
berkinet offline

jthart wrote:
...This means that the only way for me to currently have heat when it is colder than the heat pump can handle is to use the original thermostat and manually move it to the aux heat setting. I do not see a way in Indigo to make this switch, though. Is there any kind of workaround that you guys are aware of, or am I stuck with the old thermostat until I pay $500 or so for the installation of that control board?

Basically, I can set a variable to pull the outside temperature, and if I can find a way to tell the thermostat to manually change to aux heat when that variable drops below a certain temperature I would be set, and I could forego having to add equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can probably do what you want, but, it will involve some additional hardware, As Jay has noted, the Venstar Thermostat cannot do what you want on it's own.

You might be able to use a relay to switch the input wires to the Venstar between your heat pump and the Fuel burner, or simply place a relay in an appropriate wire between your thermostats and their respectively controlled systems and turn off one or the other system as necessary.

In both cases the relay(s) would be controlled by Indigo based on the outside temperature. To control the relays you could use an I/O-Linc or EZIO* interface, or there are a number of boards that can control an output: EasyDAQ, Weeder and Phidgets all come to mind).

It's hard to be specific not knowing more about your system. But, with a little creativity, and some knowledge of how things are wired, you should be able to achieve your goals, and probably a lot less than $500.

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 am
jthart offline

berkinet wrote:
To control the relays you could use an I/O-Linc or EZIO* interface...

I've been looking at the EZIO interfaces, and I think I get the gist of what you're meaning. Let's say I use the EZIO4O 4-Relay Load Controller. I could have one power input come to the relay, and run one wire to W1 and one wire to W2 on the thermostat. Using Indigo, I could say something like "if outside temperature is less than 45 degrees energize W2, and if outside temperature is greater than 45 degrees energize W1" (obviously completely different syntax, since I'd be telling it to use relay output one or two or something similar, but you get the idea). Does that pretty much explain the concept?

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:52 am
berkinet offline

jthart wrote:
...I've been looking at the EZIO interfaces, and I think I get the gist of what you're meaning. Let's say I use the EZIO4O 4-Relay Load Controller. I could have one power input come to the relay, and run one wire to W1 and one wire to W2 on the thermostat. Using Indigo, I could say something like "if outside temperature is less than 45 degrees energize W2, and if outside temperature is greater than 45 degrees energize W1" (obviously completely different syntax, since I'd be telling it to use relay output one or two or something similar, but you get the idea). Does that pretty much explain the concept?

Well, I had thought of using the EZIO to control a separate relay with sufficient poles (switches) to control what you need. But, what you suggest, using the relay in the EZIO to switch the lines would work as well.

I think the key is figuring out exactly which line (or lines) need to be switched - you can test that out manually.

If it is more than one, I'd suggest using an external relay with enough poles to do everything at once. Unless there is a way to get the EZIO to fire all four relays at once, trying to coordinate more than 1 relay on the EZIO might cause timing issues as some lines would switch sooner/later than others (even if only by a few milliseconds).

Posted on
Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 pm
User187 offline

scriptures4life wrote:
Hi Everyone,

FYI - I emailed Venstar on March 28th '11 and their rep said they will be coming out with a ColorTouch T5900 which will be compatible with Insteon through the same plug-in jack (INSTEON Thermostat Adapter Model #2441V) used on the T1700, T1800, T1900 series. I can't wait!

(The ColorTouch T5800 is NOT Insteon compatible.)

Danny

I just got off the phone with Venstar and I got a slightly different answer to this same question. According to the individual I spoke with, he stated that the T5800 and the T6800 will be WiFi and Insteon compatible via an SDIO card that they will be releasing soon. As he described it to me, the WiFi SDIO card will be released in about 4 weeks whereas the Insteon SDIO card should be available in about 8 weeks. He stated that there will be a T5900 model that they will be releasing towards the end of this year that will have humidity capabilities. He also positivity confirmed that the 2441V will NOT be compatible with these new T5800, T6800, T5900, or T6900 series thermostats.

Just a heads up...

Chad

Posted on
Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 pm
CraigM offline

Just got this eMail from Smarthome.

INSTEON Thermostat Adapter - Free Replacement Program

Dear xxx,

Our records indicate that you own the INSTEON Thermostat Adapter that is in need of replacement due to performance issues. Please read the following information as your response is required to participate.

INSTEON Thermostat Adapter

Smartlabs has discovered a rare issue in the INSTEON Thermostat Adapter (Rev 2.1 or earlier shipped prior to 6/24/11) that can cause a thermostat lockup. This lockup prevents communications to and from the adapter and subsequently impairs INSTEON network communications. It has also been discovered that the thermostat set point can shift without user interaction.

The problem has been addressed and a replacement unit is available for you at no cost.

While most customers will not have experienced any issues, it is important that ALL customers use the new replacement adapter to avoid possible thermostat issues in the future.

How to Receive Your Replacement INSTEON Thermostat Adapter
Review the information below (make corrections to the shipping address if necessary) and reply to this email. Please reply no later than July 5, 2012.

Ship replacement to:
xxx

Number of INSTEON Thermostat Adapters purchased from Smarthome (prior to 6/24/11)*: 1

*if you have made additional INSTEON Thermostat Adapter purchases other than through Smarthome, please wait to be contacted by that distributor.

Your replacement order will be processed in 1-2 weeks after receiving your reply email confirming the above information. A pre-paid return envelope will be included in the shipment. Please put your old unit in the envelope and mail it back at your earliest convenience. Once your return is received and processed we will email you with a discount code good towards $75 off your next INSTEON purchase of $150 or more at Smarthome.com.

We look forward to your quick reply.

Sincerely,
Smarthome

Posted on
Thu May 10, 2012 1:55 pm
CraigM offline

I'm looking at getting another Venstar T-xxxx stat.

I have a T1800

Q: Since Indigo is controlling the stat is there ANY reason not to get the T1700 and save a few bucks?

Posted on
Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 pm
hamw offline

I have all 7-day programmables, which do have the humidistat, which the 1 day does not. But, if you are not interested in humidity, I can't imagine why you would get anything besides a one day. I'm running Jay's thermostat script and it works really well. Controls all zones independently with 5 separate schedules throughout the day.

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2012 9:44 am
scriptures4life offline

Hi Jay & everyone,

At last the first SD card for the Venstar ColorTouch has been released.
Can you comment on whether this Skyport card will be supported by Indigo, or will you prefer to wait for a pure Insteon card?
I am wondering if this WiFi card will allow us o fire photos directly from our phone to the photo frame- that would be cool! However, the fact that this is yet another proprietary, "cost unknown" subscription service scares me. (Their iOS app lists as "Free+"...)

Let's see what everyone can discover about this new accessory.
If we can find a good solution, this will probably push me over the edge to buy Indigo (Pro) for the first time!

http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/Colo ... ?t=skyport
https://venstar.skyportcloud.com/
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vensta ... 2012-05-16

Thanks
Danny

All house lights and block heater are Insteon switches. Running Indigo Pro.

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2012 1:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If there's a publicly available API then someone (not us) could build a plugin for it. There are a couple of WiFi thermostat plugins already that might be appropriate starting points.

We already have too much on our plates to commit to anything else really...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2012 3:56 pm
hamw offline

I received the new Firmware 95 V2.4 i2CS thermostat adapters in the mail. Are there any advantages to those over the previous V2.0 except perhaps less buggy?

Page 18 of 23 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23