Indigo 3.0b8 and the EZX10RF (Full instructions!)

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am
rycardo offline

Re: Indigo 3.0b8 and the EZX10RF (Full instructions!)

Hey Matt and Jay,

I'm hoping you can help with this topic.

I'd like to use my vehicle's HomeLink to turn on Insteon devices (lights). I think I understand that the EZX10RF can receive the RF signal from the vehicle, then translate them to Insteon commands, which Indigo can respond to, and turn on the lights. Is the EZX10RF sending the Insteon commands over-the-air, through the power line, or both?

When I asked Smarthome support about the device, and what I want to do, they warned me about this setup:
...I would not recommend using it. Depending on the devices you have, you would be able to assign a x10 address to your Insteon device. However in doing that you turn that device into a x10 device which means the cons of using x10 comes into play such as the device turning on/off by itself.

Is this the case, even with Indigo? The way I read this post, and what the OP outlined, I'm not sure if Smarthome's warning applies.

Also, do I need any additional devices to be able to do this? I'm not currently using any X-10 devices, everything is Insteon, and my modem/main interface is the 2413U.

Thanks,

Rycardo

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:49 pm
FlyingDiver offline

That's not what you want. That allows you to use X-10 RF transmitters (keypads, etc) with Insteon devices. Not a Homelink transmitter.

What I think you want is one of these: http://www.waynedaltonparts.com/Homelin ... Kit-1.html

Connected to one of these: http://store.indigodomo.com/devices/rel ... -2450.html

Bonus is that you might also be able to control your garage door opener using the output on the I/O linc.

joe

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:19 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Is this the case, even with Indigo? The way I read this post, and what the OP outlined, I'm not sure if Smarthome's warning applies.

I think perhaps SmartHome didn't understand your desire... the EZX10RF is absolutely capable of doing what you want and is issuing INSTEON commands, not turning a device into an X10 control like they say/imply.

I think I understand that the EZX10RF can receive the RF signal from the vehicle, then translate them to Insteon commands, which Indigo can respond to, and turn on the lights. Is the EZX10RF sending the Insteon commands over-the-air, through the power line, or both?

Yup, that is exactly right, and the EZ10RF is not dual-band, so it only transmits the INSTEON commands via PowerLine. In Indigo I trigger off "Button 1 ON", "Button 1 OFF", "Button 2 ON" and "Button 2 OFF". These do not have to just turn on/off devices -- it can trigger any of Indigo's actions/action groups/whatever.

You will need an X10 remote (cheap is fine) in order to train the HomeLink so it will send the proper frequency to the EZ10RF. As a bonus, the remote will still work (HomeLink and the X10 remote will send the same command), so if you get a keychain X10 remote as your remote, you can give that to a family member. (Not sure on your vehicle, my HomeLink only had 3 buttons so one is remote-used only).

I don't have my current vehicle setup as I just never took the time to re-set it up, but it was working on the old truck and I still have the keychain remote that works. I give it to parents who come to check on the house while we are away on vacation. :)

Adam

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I didn't realize that the X-10 RF is the same frequency/signal pattern as HomeLink. Good to know. I still have a few X-10 RF devices around.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I didn't realize that the X-10 RF is the same frequency/signal pattern as HomeLink. Good to know. I still have a few X-10 RF devices around.

I didn't either until reading the instructions on SmartHome (I think) a while back. I assume this is country-dependent, but works in the US. SOUNDED like the HomeLink was capable of other frequencies outside of the ones used by X10 too, but I didn't bother continuing research at the time since it didn't affect me.

Only issue is that the EZX10RF was a #$(*&%#@ to get properly linked with the multiple commands to the Powerlinc/Indigo. Either my instructions were wrong or I just sucked at it. Once setup it works great.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:28 pm
rycardo offline

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the information!

I read about the need for the remote, but I couldn't figure out why, now it makes sense.

So my only concern is with getting commands over the power line from the garage to Indigo, that's easy enough to test with a couple old X10 devices.

Cheers,

Rycardo