KPL - how to control load from button 3?

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 am
Jason G. offline

KPL - how to control load from button 3?

Hi-

Looks like I have lots of KPL questions... oddly enough, my 3 separate questions are actually for KPLs installed in different locations around my house.

I have a 6-button KPL in my kitchen and the load buttons control the lights over the table. In the past I set up scenes (via Insteon Hub before it died) for the buttons in the middle so that button 3 was "all off" for the kitchen area. It turned off a few devices, including the load for the KPL.

Am I missing some obvious way that the KPL can link back to itself to turn on/off the load? Is there a raw insteon command that I can use to recreate it?

I'd like to factory reset the KPL to clean up all the old links to the insteon hub, but would be really disappointed if I lose the functionality for that button.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted on
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: KPL - how to control load from button 3?

Self referential links on KeypadLincs are, unfortunately, not actually links at all, but rather are somewhat of a hack specific to the KeypadLinc. We don't support that hack in Indigo.

The recommendation is to just have a Trigger in Indigo such that when (for example) button 4 goes off, and you want button 3 to also go off, you just turn it off in an Indigo action (rather than through a link). That accomplishes the same thing (albeit a bit slower due to the extra Insteon commands on the network).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:47 am
Jason G. offline

Allrighty - thanks. I guess I just won't factory reset that switch, and hope that I don't need to do something similar any time soon.

Posted on
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Or just implement the trigger... :wink:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:35 pm
Jason G. offline

Yes, a trigger will work just fine. :P

For this case, the delay for the trigger would be rough - the light closest to the light switch would be the last one to turn off. It might only be a second or two (or even less, I haven't really timed it)... but when you've grown up with normal light switches that respond immediately to what you're doing, a 1 second delay to turn off a light seems... weird. In my mind it takes less than a second for me to start wondering if it's working or if I screwed something up. For my kids they might mash the button a second or third time - which is also the key reason I can't turn off the cleanup messages to potentially make it faster.

I've been able to make it less weird in one room by having a slow ramp rate. If the light slowly turns on/off over 4.5 seconds, that 1 second delay for a trigger blends into the ramp and you end up with a gentle transition that seems natural..

I will also think about whether I can swap the buttons around to make the trigger unneeded, or attach it to one of the buttons where the delay is less noticeable.

Page 1 of 1