KPL - how to include button 1 in a toggle group?

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am
Jason G. offline

KPL - how to include button 1 in a toggle group?

Hi-

Is there a way to have button1 on my KPL in a toggle group? I was able to set this up previously on existing KPLs with my insteon hub and iOS app, before the hub died.

Specifically I have an 8-button KPL and I'd like to use it to control the lights and fan for one of my FanLincs.

Buttons 1,3,5,7 --> lights on high, medium (70%), low (40%), off
Buttons 2,4,6,8 --> fan on high, medium, low, off

I have the toggle buttons working fine in a group for the fan, but the lights won't update the backlight/on status for button 1. Is there a raw insteon command I can use to turn button 1 on and off with the other buttons?

Note that the KPL's load doesn't actually control anything, so I'm not worried about turning anything on/off other than the LED backlight on the button.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted on
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: KPL - how to include button 1 in a toggle group?

Just turn off/on the KeypadLinc (which will switch the load button accordingly).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 am
Jason G. offline

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. What am I turning on/off on the KeypadLinc - button1?

I have the radio buttons working properly with 3,5 and 7 - I can push each button and the one I just pushed turns on and the other two turn off.

But this sequence of events is where the problem is:
- button7 is backlight, light is off
- I press button1 --> light turns on to 100%, button1 is backlight, button7 turns off (so far so good)
- I press button3 --> light turns down to 70%, button3 is backlight, but button1 stays on, the KPL now incorrectly indicates that my lights are both on High and Medium

I figured out I can do some wacky things to work around this - set button1 back so that it is in toggle mode, then I can at least push button1 again to turn it off... but then everything gets weird and I'd rather not do that.

I guess I can also use a trigger to turn off button1, but I bought into the idea that all the devices (via device links) should work even if my computer is offline for some reason.

I have a warranty-replacement insteon hub that I can use to set this up again if I have to, but I'd really prefer not to... the app is such a pain in the butt, and setting up 8 scenes for a KPL+FanLinc combination is quite frankly a very frustrating experience.

Posted on
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jason G. wrote:
I guess I can also use a trigger to turn off button1, but I bought into the idea that all the devices (via device links) should work even if my computer is offline for some reason.

I was referring to a trigger on button 3 which would just do a Turn Off command to the KPL (thereby turning off button 1, which represents the load regardless of whether you have an actual load connected or not). If you're looking to do all your automation through Insteon links, then Indigo may not be the solution for you. If, however, you moved to Indigo because of it's other capabilities, including the wide array of other things that it can integrate, then you'll want to adjust your thinking somewhat, as none of that stuff will work if Indigo is offline anyway.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 pm
Jason G. offline

Gotcha - that makes sense now, and it works.

I'm a fan of graceful degradation, and would prefer to have things like light switches and KPLs still work if Indigo is offline. I get it if it doesn't, but I'm going to at least try. That was one of the selling points for Insteon in general, and even if the KPL lights are a little funky when downgraded, I'm still happy with it.

To try and maintain that graceful degradation I'm defining a couple fancy-ish scenes in a few buttons, but anything even mildly sophisticated is going to live in Indigo. Schedules depend on it. Siri (via homebridge) depends on it. I don't plan on turning my Mac off just for kicks... but I have had Mac hardware failures, and I've seen descriptions of PLMs failing too. That's part of life, might as well plan for it.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1