Icon 2856 on/off adapter goes on-off-on-off-on-off

Posted on
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:09 pm
timrowledge offline

Icon 2856 on/off adapter goes on-off-on-off-on-off

I recently added an LED strip (an Ikea Ledberg) to a niche in my hallway. It's powered by an ordinary outlet with an Icon 2856 v4.1 adapter and then the transormer/psu.

Turn it on and it goes off. And frequently back on. And off again and so on for varying lengths of sequence. It even seems to do it when I use the set button to manually turn it on.

With no psu plugged in it behaves as normal. With several other varieties of psu (laptop etc) it misbehaves. With one specific (but unfortunately not really usable) led psu it seems fine. The behaviour is not correlated to any particular outlet, nor even to just one icon adapter - I have several of each to test with.

The error reported is
Error "Entry niche light" on; send failed (no acknowledgment)
It never seems to fail when told to turn off, which I guess is a good thing.

Thoughts on usable commands, preferences, possible tweaks to the psu, whatever, all welcomed. My best WAG for now is some issue to do with the magic smoke in the psu circuitry being of the wrong flavour. Help me Obi-Wan Domoto! You're my only hope!

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm
timrowledge offline

Re: Icon 2856 on/off adapter goes on-off-on-off-on-off

Nobody else has ever seen this?

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd suggest you try plugging the PSU into an Insteon FilterLinc first to isolate it and prevent it from causing power line noise/interference. That will help if the problem is power line interference, but not if the problem is RF interference. I don't think the Icon 2856 us dual band though (no RF), so I think a FilterLinc will probably help. The other option is to use a Z-Wave plugin module for that location, but you would also need a Z-Stick for the Mac in that case. That can be a handy thing to have though, as in some spots one protocol will work better than the other.

Posted on
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:21 pm
timrowledge offline

OK, thanks Matt. The Icon doohickey is certainly not dual band. It's certainly not worth the cost of a filter for this job, not when I can get a wifi relay for $7!

Page 1 of 1