How do I know for sure that my 2413U is dead?

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:49 am
wjlevin offline

How do I know for sure that my 2413U is dead?

Last night all X-10 and Insteon activity ground to a halt. One of my Insteon motion sensors has it's LED blinking away (I think that means it's lost connection with the Powerlinc). The Indigo main widow shows PowerLine Modem in red with a line struck through it.

I saw elsewhere complaints about the hardware - and I've had a number of Insteon devices fail (switches, garage interface (thanks Norm for replacing it - still working), the motion sensors totally suck - the pots have no effect) - so I wonder if I've fallen victim again.

I removed the powerlinc from the wall, held the reset button and plugged it back in - holding the reset button for well over 10 seconds.

No action whatsoever on the LED on the unit.

Is this the end?

Is there anything better/more reliable out there?

Home automation hardware should be of a high standard.

I'd appreciate any advice / direction. Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:23 am
howartp offline

Re: How do I know for sure that my 2413U is dead?

Hit it several times with a large mallet until it breaks into small pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:00 pm
akimball offline

<— Best advice I’ve ever seen regarding the POS-2413U Insteon modem.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:07 pm
akimball offline

wjlevin wrote:
Last night all X-10 and Insteon activity ground to a halt. One of my Insteon motion sensors has it's LED blinking away (I think that means it's lost connection with the Powerlinc). The Indigo main widow shows PowerLine Modem in red with a line struck through it.

I saw elsewhere complaints about the hardware - and I've had a number of Insteon devices fail (switches, garage interface (thanks Norm for replacing it - still working), the motion sensors totally suck - the pots have no effect) - so I wonder if I've fallen victim again.

I removed the powerlinc from the wall, held the reset button and plugged it back in - holding the reset button for well over 10 seconds.

No action whatsoever on the LED on the unit.

Is this the end?

Home automation hardware should be of a high standard.

I'd appreciate any advice / direction. Thanks in advance.

I’ve been using the 2448A7 for a few short months. Perfect product.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:13 pm
wjlevin offline

Does the 2448A7 do everything the 2413U does?

I thought I had to be plugged in to send the signal over the power lines.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:23 pm
akimball offline

Yes, the 2448a7 is not dual band. In some locations with crappy powe that is a good thing. But as far as power lines go, all you need is a dual-band insteon device like a switchlinc; one band is wireless while the other band is powerline and the device re-send’s the message over both. People sometimes say you need the direct line connection to avoid an extra hop... so expect an additional delay of 0.0083 seconds. ;)
Last edited by akimball on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:25 pm
Different Computers offline

wjlevin wrote:

Probably not what you mean, and not a happy answer for someone with a lot of Insteon, but the answer is probably "Z-wave."

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 pm
akimball offline

Z-wave is good for sensors.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 pm
akimball offline

Not a concern. Anyone who wants into the house goes through dogs, cameras, shotguns, motion sensors, sirens, a non-insteon GE security system...and a thief can break in faster many other ways. I’m not at all paranoid lol. Life happens. Interesting video and science experiment.

That said, shame on insteon.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 pm
akimball offline

I don’t understand the concern but I have one family member who won’t buy a Samsung TV or have an Amazon Dot because he is worried someone might hack in (what’s he hiding? Hmmmmmm).. I assure you, if someone wants to topple the state secrets of my household I’m fully capable of ignorantly grossing them out. I’m aware of the possible pitfalls but lived long enough not to be very concerned.

I will be very interested in more secure and more reliable KPL technology when it arrives.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 pm
akimball offline

This is what happens when money hungry managers shoot their engineers too quickly. There are things I could point to which indicate this problem at Insteon.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:53 am
akimball offline

Yeah apple doesnt talk either. Drat.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 pm
akimball offline

A doctor friend of mine came home to two bandits who were loading up their truck with his valuables, parked in his own garage, through the connecting house door. He was injured in the following mayhem. With him in mind, I really have implemented several layers of security which include trip sensors, redundent door sensors, geo-fencing, door controllers, camera’s, motion sensors and more. I don’t consider any of this safe...it just gives increasing layers of time to act and deterance. Seriously, anyone worried about security isn’t going to rely on any single device.

I find your picture of Insteon’s oversea development to be accurate. Seen it before. Virtually every part of our network infrastructure is developed in india from comcast to every modem. I know because it’s a part of what I do.

I think that insteon allows it’s 3rd party developers to install payload packets encoded or not encoded as they wish.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:30 pm
akimball offline

-Al

Page 1 of 1