Create direct link/scene for double tap mini remote?

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:15 pm
spiv offline

Create direct link/scene for double tap mini remote?

I have a mini remote that I use to control family room lamps.

It is a single paddle remote. I have Insteon link defined to single-tap up or down will turn the linked lamp on or off; press and hold up or down will directly dim the lamp.

I got a little clever and on the Indigo side of things I defined a trigger for "double tap". Double tap on will turn on two other lamps and double tap off will turn off all three lamps.

With Indigo handling this "Scene", there is a variable delay before the actions happen. Sometimes just a few seconds, sometimes as long as 20 seconds.

Since all the lamps are Insteon, I wondering if I can create a device-level link (not sure the exact Insteon terminology) to have a double-tap work as described all done peer to peer by Insteon protocol.

Two questions - is this feasible with the way Insteon device links work? And if so, can I use Indigo as the "GUI" to configure the links instead of the run-around-and-press-buttons-on-physical-Insteon-devices method?

(There is a lot of Insteon info in the Indigo docs and wiki, but it is scattered around everywhere and I couldn't find nice index to all the Insteon related topics so I'm asking here.)

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Create direct link/scene for double tap mini remote?

The INSTEON protocol doesn't allow for that level of logic for double-taps. At the INSTEON level a double tap always causes an immediate (no ramp rate used) full ON or OFF of the module that is directly linked. That is, a link doesn't specify single or double tap, a link just links two modules and then the receiving module responds a bit differently based on if a single or double tap is pressed.

Concerning the variable delay – that is probably caused by INSTEON traffic / congestion. After an INSTEON command is sent there are then follow-up commands that can collide when Indigo is sending out new commands (as a result of the trigger). Try putting a 1 to 4 second delay on the action you have for the double-click Trigger. That will of course always cause some delay, but might avoid the collision and prevent the really long delay.

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:01 pm
spiv offline

Re: Create direct link/scene for double tap mini remote?

Thanks!

With experimentation I found that the best action for the additional commands is to use "instant off - double tap down". This avoids Insteon interpreting a slow double-tap as a single tap since the default "off" action is a "no op" when the linked device is already off anyway.

Page 1 of 1