Insteon Signals Impact Fan Light

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 am
jeffgoodman offline

Insteon Signals Impact Fan Light

Just replaced an old Hunter fan with a new Quorum fan. The Quorum was installed (by 3rd party) with wired control (fan light & speed) in a 3-gang box with 2 SwitchLinc dimmers already installed. The fan works great, the fan wall switch includes a dimmer for the attached lamp, also works well.

Except...

When an Insteon signals are sent in the house, the fan light will strobe (apparently) with the Insteon signals. For example, if the fan light is on 25%, using any Insteon switch in the house causes the fan light to pulse to max brightness with Insteon signals.

I've never had Insteon signals interfere with other hardware, so I'm a little puzzled about how to address. It definitely needs to be corrected, since we will generally use the fan light a reduced output, and the strobing is jarring.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Insteon Signals Impact Fan Light

That's very strange. Can you try an experiment? Pull out the little airgap switch at the bottom of each of the SwitchLincs in the box, and then try some Insteon signals elsewhere in the house. I'm wondering if it's ANY Insteon signal on the line, or if it's something weird in the way they wired that box when they added the fan controller. Disabling those two switches will give a clue.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 pm
jeffgoodman offline

Re: Insteon Signals Impact Fan Light

Great idea Joe - and weird result. I airspeed both SwitchLinc dimmers in the 3-gang box with the fan controller. I set the fan light to ~25%, went to the next room and tried a couple of SwitchLinc dimmers. Even with the adjacent SwitchLincs offline the fan light strobed when Insteon signals were sent from the next room. Re-engaged the adjacent SwitchLincs, the fan light strobed with no difference.

I think I'll pick up a generic hard-wire fan controller and try it in place of the manufacturer unit and see if that makes a difference.

This is actually a deep (3-gang) box, any thoughts on a filter in front of the fan control?

J

Page 1 of 1