Naive about Fanlincs?

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm
Different Computers offline

Naive about Fanlincs?

Having just installed my first Insteon Synchrolink to great success, I now wonder about Fanlincs. From a quick google search, all I see is "Compatible with all AC powered fans!" Forgive me if I'm dubious.

My fan is some sort of fancy modern brand whose wall switch has a built in slide controller with 10 steps for fan speed and a slide dimmer. Should I even try a Fanlinc? Is there a guide to brand compatibility somewhere?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Naive about Fanlincs?

Check with smarthome. But my guess would be no. It works well with standard no-frills ceiling fans (I have 4 in my house with no issues).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:36 am
jalves offline

Re: Naive about Fanlincs?

Despite Jay's suggestion above, I'd still give it a try. I suspect the fan itself is a fairly standard fan and the electronics in the switch are what's giving it the 10 speeds and dimmable light. Perhaps you could pull the switch out first and just connect the power straight through (ie bypass the switch) and see if the fan operates at its highest speed and lights on bright. If so, then go ahead with the fanlinc installation, combined with a 6-button wall switch.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Page 1 of 1