Fanlinc for Vornado Air Circulator?

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 pm
amannone offline

Fanlinc for Vornado Air Circulator?

Hey Indigo Forum Hive Mind!
Has anybody used a fanlinc to control fans other than ceiling fans?

I have a Vornado 783 which has a manual control nob with Off, High, Med, Low switch positions. I'd really love to have Indigo be able to adjust the speed (complete variable speed adjustment would be lovely, but I'll settle for High, Med, Low, off). After reading the installation instructions for the Fanlinc, I think it might work because the instructions specifically say to set the ceiling fan's speed to high. That leads me to think if I wired up the Fanlinc in a structured wiring box with power coming in from the wall outlet to the Fanlinc then out to a receptacle in which I would plug the Vornado into, then set the Vornaod's switch on high, it might work.
Any thoughts? Or suggestions on an easier solution to provide speed control to a non-ceiling fan?

Cheers,
-Andrew

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Fanlinc for Vornado Air Circulator?

Have you tried a standard dimmable wall-wart? I have a cheap Z-Wave dimmer module that controls a small Honeywell fan (cheaper Vornado) fine. It might not be good for the fan motor, I don't know, but it seems to work. And you have full variable speed.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:34 pm
amannone offline

Re: Fanlinc for Vornado Air Circulator?

Thanks for the response Jay!
Well, I have several unused ICON lamp modules I can test with. Tho from what I've read on the interwebs TRIAC dimmers make motors unhappy puppies. I also have one of those small Honneywell vornado knock-offs. If that works with the ICON, I'll test the big Vornado with the Kill-A-Watt so to make sure the power draw won't exceed the module specs.

Page 1 of 1