KeypadLinc Dimmer, on/brighten off/dim w/ different buttons

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm
welchgregusa offline

Hi.

I've searched the forum areas and cannot find an answer to this question (issue).

I've got an 8-button KeypadLinc Dimmer where I'm using some buttons in on-off toggle mode, and I'd like to use some left-right pairs to control some In-LineLinc Dimmer (ILLD) units in both off/dim (left button) and on/brighten (right button). So if I press button 7/G the ILLD unit should go OFF and when I press button 8/H the ILLD should go ON. I took both buttons out of toggle mode, and made the ILLD a responder at 0% to 7/G, and a responder at 100% to 8/H. This seems to work fine: I press 7/G and the ILLD goes OFF and I press 8/H and the ILLD goes ON.

What I'm having trouble with is dimming and brightening. I'd like to be able to press and hold button 7/G to dim the ILLD, and press and hold 8/H to brighten the ILLD. The problem is, it seems, that both buttons send a brighten command when you press and hold them. I cannot figure out how to make 7/G (any button) send a dim command when you press and hold it. I have put both buttons in non-toggle mode (Interfaces->Insteon->Set KeypadLinc button toggle mode). I also tried unchecking the "Button 7 sends ON" checkbox hoping it would send a dim as it sends an off, but it doesn't seem to help/work.

I don' know if this makes sense, but if so, and anyone has ideas...I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance....

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: KeypadLinc Dimmer, on/brighten off/dim w/ different butt

If unchecking the "Button 7 sends ON" doesn't cause a press and hold to send start dim messages, then I don't believe you're going to be able to get it to work like you want. The KeypadLinc isn't really designed to work in the way you want to use it. The Insteon mini remote can work like that though (I think).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:55 am
welchgregusa offline

Thanks Jay. I wondered if I could make a trigger to trap the brighten command and send a dim command to the ILLD. Looks light I might be able to trigger off a "dim" (perhaps) but I don't see a way to use the Indigo GUI to send a dim command.

I am able to send a raw command (0x17 0x00) to the ILLD to start it dimming (that works), but I was unable to make that (raw command) work as the action of a trigger for some reason.

I'm also looking at single-tap triggers to go up/down by a %, then double-tap for full on/off.

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:57 pm
akimball offline

I think there is a 'dimmer extender' plugin that may do what you need. I've used it with the 8 button remotes.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:27 pm
welchgregusa offline

Brilliant. Thank you akimball. (I wish the functionality was implemented in Insteon fabric but the plugin is quite nice.)

Jay: there is a stale link on the web site in case you can do anything about it: the "Download" link at https://www.indigodomo.com/library/208/ downloads an older version. The post here http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8810 has the latest (1.1.1).

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:51 pm
akimball offline

You're welcome and yes Nathan Sheldon is quite an accomplished plugin artist. I enjoy both his dimmer extender and the hue plugins. When you install a plugin, it becomes a part of the software transparently 'built-in' and that is part of the intrinsic synergy and genius of Indigo.

-Al

Posted on
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Library contributions are managed by their owners, so Nathan can update it (or remove the download link from there and just point to the post that contains the download link).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am
welchgregusa offline

It would be great (as a user) if you would inform Nathan. Pointing to one place makes sense to me.

Page 1 of 1