instead signals not propagating properly

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:26 pm
kw123 offline

instead signals not propagating properly

I have 4 doors with insteon locks and insteon open/close and lock/unlock sensors. When I manually lock / unlock ONE door the status gets properly transmitted and indigo shows everything nicely.

When I lock the doors electronically ( send insteon command to all lock mechanism) all doors lock at about the same time and all but ONE specific lock/unlock sensor signal never makes it to Indigo.
This happened after I replaced that one lock/unlock sensor.

So one after the other it works fine , all at the same time it worked but now not anymore after I replaced one sensor. the new one is firmware 34(i2sc engine) the others are 40(i2cs engine)

Any advice? Is there a way to change the sequence of signals .... or anything in insteon?

Karl

replacing them is a hassle (need to cut the board to make them fit.) ~ 2 hours of work

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: instead signals not propagating properly

If it's only failing when you're changing them all at the same time, it's likely that the sensor broadcasts are having some collisions. Not sure why the old one would have worked and the new one doesn't, except perhaps because the different firmware causes some slightly different signal timing. Insteon's biggest flaw is it's susceptibility to signal collisions - it doesn't handle them well particularly on broadcasts like status updates, which you are generating several at approximately the same time.

I don't know what exact mechanism you're using to lock all the doors, but if you can delay the locking of that one door by a second or two, you may find that it avoids collisions with the other sensors broadcasting updates.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 am
kw123 offline

I am using morning link to lock/unlock all doors
they all lock/unlock at the same time. I guess I need to swap that one out for a more recent version. The other three work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kw123 wrote:
I am using morning link to lock/unlock all doors
they all lock/unlock at the same time.

Ah. Doesn't sound like a particularly great solution if you have multiple locks... :shock:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm
kw123 offline

But it worked for many years flawlessly. ... anyway have ordered new sensor to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I meant the all or nothing lock control - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to unlock every door at the same time if I had that many outside doors. Not to mention the hack to get lock status.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1