Issue installation

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 am
tudor offline

Issue installation

I'm looking at replacing some bulb that are controlled by switchlincs. I would really like to install hue bulbs for the color changing capability.

Any tips for managing them together with Indigo?

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 am
Busta999 offline

Re: Issue installation

There is a really good Hue plugin, I am controlling about 30 hue bulbs/lights right now under Indigo. All of the transitory areas, hall ways, landing, closet, dressing room, kitchen are all controlled automatically using the Hue Motion Detector. That way if my Mac or Indigo go down most of the areas of the house will be unaffected, I have Hue switches in destination rooms, lounge/bedrooms. Indigo 'tweaks' the Hue lights, 30 mins after dusk turn on lounge, set different lighting for watching Tv, or movie mode, flash one light in every room if doorbell rings, turn all lights bright red if smoke detector reports fire, etc etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Issue installation

You don't need the expensive and (I think) limited Hue Motion Detector. Indigo can talk to Hue lights via the plugin just like any other device, so any motion detector talking to Indigo can be used for a trigger on the Hue lights.

In general I am less in love with smart bulbs in general and Hue lights than I thought I would be. I would not replace any smart switch with a bulb. I use smart bulbs where I do not have the option of using a smart switch because of wiring.

The main advantage of switches is that when the power goes out then comes back on, the smart switches don't turn on all the lights. Where I live in the country we get more than a few power outages, and the result is at least 3-4 times a year the lights end up coming on in the bedroom at 3 am because when you send power to a smart bulb that was in an off state before the power went out, it turns on.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1