Insteon devices are inconsistent (bridging power)

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:13 am
guitarfreak offline

Insteon devices are inconsistent (bridging power)

I am having issues with my insteon devices all responding to scene commands. I have the scenes set up to send a cleanup message and within my log I am seeing "(no acknowledgment)" errors. I have added a screenshot of my errors if that is helpful in diagnosing the issue.

I have read the thread about troubleshooting and have done some of that. I don't have any open spots on my breaker panel to add the hard wired power phase bridging unit. So my question is if using two of the range extenders, each on a different phase would achieve the same thing and potentially help my problems? None of the devices having errors are physically far from each other, or the modem.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-01-26 07.12.18.png
Screenshot 2017-01-26 07.12.18.png (288.27 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon devices are inconsistent (bridging power)

If you follow the instructions with the range extenders to make sure they're on opposite legs then yes, it would accomplish the same thing.

Are any of your existing devices dual-band? If many/most are then that may not be your problem. I'd recommend using a long extension cord running from a plug in a completely different area of the house to your PowerLinc. This would help determine if it's just some kind of signal noise/path issue. Try from several different places as well.

Also, if you have CFL bulbs be very suspicious of them. I just moved into a new house last August that was full of CFL bulbs and when I started installing the Insteon devices from my previous home I was having all sorts of problems. Started replacing the cheap CFLs that came with the house with LEDs and halogens and things immediately got better.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to Insteon forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 pm
guitarfreak offline

Re: Insteon devices are inconsistent (bridging power)

The majority of my devices are dual band, aside from a few RF only (door sensors, motion, etc) but it appears all of my issues are happening on the powerlinc side because the powerlinc devices (relays) are not responding to commands.

I will go through some more trouble shooting to see where the issues are. Intermittent issues are the hardest to solve. I have some CFL's in the house, so will consider changing those, although it doens't seem to be directly related to when any of them are on. I hope it's not the outlet the modem is plugged into, as that will be problematic to change. I will try different ones to see if that is causing issues though.

I have ordered the range extenders to try that.

Thank you for the input.

Page 1 of 1