Thermostat does not report correct status - Insteon 2441TH

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 pm
dawson1331 offline

Thermostat does not report correct status - Insteon 2441TH

I am having a problem with my Insteon thermostats. They properly turn on and off the heating unit but they do not report the correct status. It is currently reporting that the heater is ON (status icon in Indigo main window) but the heater has not been on in days. For example, the programmed set point is 68 and the temperature is 72 - but the status on the Indigo device is ON. Sometimes if I incrementally increase the set point above the current temperature and then lower it the status will turn off. I have tried a factory reset on the thermostat. I have tried relinking it. I have tried Indigo 6 and Indigo 7. These thermostats are several years old so I just bought a new one. It has similar issues. This does not always happen but most of the time it does. I called SmartHome customer support. They said their devices work fine and there has been no reports like mine. They say Indigo is not returning the correct status info. I don't know how to get the status info other than the 'Send Status Request' button at the bottom of the main widow. This returns the mode, temp, humidity and set point but NOT device status (on or off). I do have device status icons on control pages and they report incorrect status. I also have triggers that don't get triggered because the status is wrong. (Is there some way to send a raw command to the thermostat and get the raw data back to debug this problem? I have run out of ideas.

BTW the LED on the actual thermostat correctly turns on or off as the heater is turned on or off.

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Thermostat does not report correct status - Insteon 2441

Device status is only broadcast from the thermostat to the last controller it was linked to. It does not return unit on/off status when a status request is sent (yes, it's counter intuitive and it's a big hole in their API in our opinion). If it's only on/off status that's out of sync then your thermostats are likely broadcasting that state change to the wrong controller. A factory reset on the thermostat and then a new Define and Sync should (has in the past) fix this problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
dawson1331 offline

I did the factory reset and the define and sync. Things seem to work a little better. I'll monitor this over time. Thanks.
How do I tell if the thermostat is on? I can't seem to ask in AppleScript 'set theState to on state of theDevice". How do you determine how to turn on your icon in the State column of the Main window? I don't understand how this device does not have a state.

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As I say above, that information can't be polled so we have to rely on a correct state broadcast. If you've got some signal noise or other communication problem then the broadcast may not make it to the PowerLinc so Indigo will never know that the state changed.

Honestly, we've had a lot more success with Z-Wave thermostats communicating reliably and that's what we recommend for those having these types of issues with Insteon thermostats.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:20 pm
Rancher offline

Do you have a suggested z-wave wireless thermostat?

I have the wired and wireless Insteon units for awhile now and I'm underwhelmed. The wired has limited control, the wireless even less, but the deal breaker for me is the wireless unit will drop out of "master" status for no reason and I don't know of any way to automatically reset the wireless as "master". I just ordered a z-wave temperature sensor and was going to hack my own.

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:31 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I have what I believe is the Trane version of this thermostat. Despite the low Amazon reviews, it seems to be super solid to me. Jay has this newer version Trane and it also works really well.

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:27 pm
DaveL17 offline

matt (support) wrote:
I have what I believe is the Trane version of this thermostat. Despite the low Amazon reviews, it seems to be super solid to me. Jay has this newer version Trane and it also works really well.

I have two of the older Trane models (like Matt has) and I have found them to be really solid as well.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

matt (support) wrote:
Jay has this newer version Trane and it also works really well.

I have that one upstairs and a Honeywell WiFi down. In a previous house I had the Insteon Venstar adaptor. The Trane is by far the most reliable and problem free one I've ever had.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1