Create an exact duplicate INSTEON device, including links

Posted on
Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:19 pm
cluehammer offline

Create an exact duplicate INSTEON device, including links

In prior changes to my device database, I made the mistake of deleting a keypad device that had failed, one of two set up identically, under the (incorrect) assumption that once I bought the replacement keypad, I could duplicate the remaining twin and keep the INSTEON link relationships. When you duplicate a device, however, Indigo just keeps the essential metadata of the original device (notes, ramp rate, backlight setting, 6- or 8-button mode, etc.) but carries over none of the device relationships.

I have a large number of keypads (12) that need to stay in sync (LED states, etc.), so building the link lists for Responders and Controllers manually gets extremely tedious when adding a new device. If I could duplicate the link relationships of an existing device when creating a new one, it would be immensely helpful.

Is there any way to accomplish this? I can't just copy and paste the device links for the original device in the database file, since the database has to keep track of the memory location for each link in each device, and that location is unique for each link per both responder AND controller. But I am envisioning some way of using a script to automate the actions normally taken by me in the UI when building the link tables in the Manage Links dialog box - at least that way I could run the script and Indigo would figure out the memory location upon device sync.

Thoughts? I'm going to start digging around in the scripting and API docs to try cobbling something together in the meantime.

Thanks,

BT

---------------------------------------------------------------------
15+ years of various Home Automation experience
Indigo 7 running on iMac, INSTEON and Hue devices

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Create an exact duplicate INSTEON device, including link

I'm afraid there isn't a good way to do this in an automated fashion. There aren't any current APIs to expose reading/writing INSTEON links, although it is on the feature request list.

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:22 pm
gadgetnut offline

Greetings. Please help with this followup question. If I understand this explanation correctly, you can't just install a new Insteon KeypadLinc device, update the Device Address, and have all the prior customizations transfer to the new device. Is that right?

I have invested a lot of time in getting multiple Keypads set up for clients, such as KeypadLinc Button Toggle mode, button backlighting, controller and responder links, etc. Should I be retaining screen caps of each KeypadLinc's setup pages in Indigo so that I can recreate everything from scratch whenever I replace a switch? Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can replace an existing (failed?) Insteon KeypadLinc with a new one and everything will just work. What you can't do is add a new KeypadLinc and have it be a duplicate of another one.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:59 pm
gadgetnut offline

Thanks for the clarification, Jay! :) :)

Page 1 of 1