Thermostat won't display temp - Insteon 2441ZTH wireless

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:30 pm
arwatson2000 offline

Thermostat won't display temp - Insteon 2441ZTH wireless

I purchased this wireless thermostat but it won't display the temperature.

I have it powered by batteries and an AC adapter so it should never go to sleep.

When I use Indigo software in my parents house it will pair with the thermostat, it can alter the thermostat state (i.e. change mode from heat to cool or auto)...

BUT, it won't send the temperature reading back to Indigo.

The device says:
mode request (received: all off)
temperature request (received: 0.0)
humidity request (received 0.0)
setpoint request (bad value - ignored)

One strange thing - I was using the exact same thermostat in my house it worked fine - send the temp across.

Both software packages were Indigo 6, latest version.

Can someone help me figure this out.

thank you!

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Thermostat won't display temp - Insteon 2441ZTH wireless

Even when sending it a status request is always replies the temperature is 0? Can you copy/paste directly from the Event Log window to show specifically what is occurring?

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:35 am
arwatson2000 offline

Attached is the event log when I select a status update for the thermostat. Thank you for the reply!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 8.34.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 8.34.14 AM.png (222.11 KiB) Viewed 4684 times

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I think either you have some power line or RF noise causing a problem, or the thermostat is malfunctioning. To try to rule out the former, plug the PowerLinc into different outlets on different circuits to see if you get better results. Since you are just troubleshooting the easiest way to do this is with an extension cord, so you don't have to move the Mac.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:09 pm
arwatson2000 offline

Before I do this just a thought - I have 4 other Insteon devices on this system and they all work fine. 2 range extenders as well. Does that impact any thing?

I like the idea thought.

Grateful for the advice.

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Those should help make your network more reliable and I would expect a signal problem to show an error or NAK response – not a temperature value of 0 – but I'd still probably do the test just to make sure before getting a new one. BTW, I think it should have a 2 year warranty but I'm not positive.

Posted on
Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:58 pm
jquestv2 offline

I am having the same problem

Jan 3, 2017, 11:56:56 PM
Sent INSTEON "Wireless Thermostat" mode request (received: all off)
Sent INSTEON "Wireless Thermostat" temperature request (received: 0.0)
Sent INSTEON "Wireless Thermostat" humidity request (received: 0.0)
Sent INSTEON "Wireless Thermostat" setpoint request (bad value - ignored)

any ideas?

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure. First, try changing the mode to heat/cool or auto, then have Indigo change the setpoint values. Next, have Indigo send a status request. What does the Event Log look like then? Hopefully the setpoint value at least is valid.

Have you tried resetting the thermostat, or removing its power and battery?

Posted on
Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:53 pm
arwatson2000 offline

Well, I am stumped.

I bought a 2nd identical thermostat and used it on 2 different Indigo different installations - neither time did it work.

It would be added without problem, always had signal strength, but returned the same errors as I posted on 12/11/16.

I did wire an adapter so that it did not rely upon batteries hence never went to sleep.

At a loss here.

Device connects to software, has signal, but won't return values.

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:57 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you try my suggestions below, and what is the Event Log result of them?
matt (support) wrote:
First, try changing the mode to heat/cool or auto, then have Indigo change the setpoint values. Next, have Indigo send a status request. What does the Event Log look like then? Hopefully the setpoint value at least is valid.

Also include the Event Log result of a re-sync of the device for me.

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 pm
arwatson2000 offline

Matt,

My apologies for not responding more clearly.

I did change the mode between cool / heat - cool / heat. Indigo also changed the set point of the temp without problems - these changes were reflected on the thermostat. The Event log afterwards continued to show the same values that I originally included.

If you want I can do this in real time and capture the entire event log if that is helpful.

Seem strange - it syncs, Indigo can change the mode and temp set point. The humidity can on occasion appear in Indigo clearly read from thermostat, more rarely the temp appears BUT this will eventually stop working.

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

arwatson2000 wrote:
it syncs, Indigo can change the mode and temp set point. The humidity can on occasion appear in Indigo clearly read from thermostat, more rarely the temp appears BUT this will eventually stop working.

So sometimes, albeit rarely, it does work or show the temperature sensor value correctly? If so, and given you are experiencing the problem with more than one, then I think the problem is a signal range or noise issue. For troubleshooting, try using an extension cord to move your PowerLinc 2413U (assuming you have the 2413U model) to be within a few feet of the thermostat. Does that then reliably work? Obviously not a long term solution but that will help us with the troubleshooting.

Posted on
Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:03 am
arwatson2000 offline

Attached in an event log.

A few comments:
* I thought this was wireless, therefore it shouldn't matter about an extension cord or how near it is to the USB - computer link?
* I have hard-wired it in (i.e. no batteries) so it is always on and should not be going to sleep and placed it 5 feet away from a wireless access point that manages normally and continually a number of other insteon devices - and still it shows no temp or humidity as you can see
* i changed the polling of the device to every 5 minutes and still no luck
* right now it does not show any temp / humidity - this time I linked the thermostat and software it has never shown the temp or humidity BUT I can change the mode between heat and cool and auto using the software. Strange.

So, hmmmmmmmmm..

Do you know if other people have enabled these devices to work? At this point I have tried 2 devices in 2 houses with parallel systems without success.

Once in a blue moon it will register a temperature. Frankly, I think the thermostat may still be going to sleep on me. Even though it is plugged in with no batteries and the display always shows an accurate temperature and humidity. The thermostat screen never goes to sleep.

********** EVENT LOG **********

(** Andrew note - this is the initial link between Indigo 7 to the wireless thermostat**)

Feb 5, 2017, 10:33:32 AM
PowerLinc Linking - received id request response from 39.3F.7E
PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "new device" (address 39.3F.7E, firmware version 0E)
PowerLinc Linking - . reading: settings and date/time
PowerLinc Linking - . updating: date/time to 10:34 AM
PowerLinc Linking - initialize complete
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "new device" (address 39.3F.7E, firmware version 0E)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 3C.4B.8C, flags A2, group FE, data 3C 50 50
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4B.8C, flags E2, group 01, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4B.8C, flags E2, group 02, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4B.8C, flags E2, group 03, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4B.8C, flags E2, group 04, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4B.8C, flags E2, group EF, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 14.FA.7F, flags A2, group 01, data 03 1F 46
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4A.C5, flags E2, group 01, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4A.C5, flags E2, group 02, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4A.C5, flags E2, group 03, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4A.C5, flags E2, group 04, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 3C.4A.C5, flags E2, group EF, data 00 52 3E
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 1
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 2
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 3
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 4
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 239
PowerLinc Linking - . enabling: status change broadcasting
PowerLinc Linking - comparing local and remote links
PowerLinc Linking - compare complete
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - device 39.3F.7E links updated

Feb 5, 2017, 10:36:04 AM
PowerLinc Linking - exited linking mode
Sent INSTEON "Temp" mode request (received: all off)
Sent INSTEON "Temp" temperature request (received: 0.0)
Sent INSTEON "Temp" humidity request (received: 0.0)
Sent INSTEON "Temp" setpoint request (bad value - ignored)

Feb 5, 2017, 10:40:13 AM
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn heat on
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn fan always on

Feb 5, 2017, 10:40:42 AM
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn cool on
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn heat on

(** Andrew note - when I send status request the Indigo software shows “mode off” even though the wireless thermostat shows “heat”. The “heat” mode was set by the Indigo 7 software**)

(** What Indigo 7 software shows **)

Feb 5, 2017, 10:53:57 AM
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn auto on
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn fan auto on
Sent INSTEON "Temp" turn cool on
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 10.46.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 10.46.08 AM.png (24.14 KiB) Viewed 4280 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I searched our support email history for other reports from folks with the 2441ZTH. I found a few, and there were a couple of complaints about the same problem: whenever a status request is sent bad values are returned (0.0). I believe this is a firmware bug in the wireless version of the thermostat.

There were other reports of users with the thermostat that said it worked okay. I suspect those users never tried to poll data from the thermostat. I'd still expect the thermostat to broadcast back to Indigo when there is a temperature change, but it sounds like you aren't seeing that. I wonder if they disable that functionality in an effort to conserve battery life. I know you have it AC powered, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't change its behavior based on AC Power versus battery power.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:51 am
AZGuy offline

I just purchased an Insteon 2441ZTH wireless thermostat in the hope that it would be able to send temperature values to Indigo (6.0.21). Unfortunately it is not sending temp values when polled, when the temperature changes. or at regular 15-minute intervals. Has there been any change on this topic?

Running Indigo continuously since 2006!