FanLinc's Keep Failing

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 am
CraigM offline

FanLinc's Keep Failing

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with FanLinc's that stop working at a particular speed?

Over the years I have had a 100% failure rate on all the FanLinc's I have ever owned. The originals fail, the RMA fails, what is going on?

±8 FanLinc's have failed always the same way, one of the speeds stops woking (usually HIGH). So on HIGH the fan either stops or spins slower than LOW, and sometimes with a hum.

FACTS:
- This is not the same fan that fails. It has happened on Minka Aire, Modern Fan, Casablanca brands. So its not the fan make/model.
- I checked with Minka Aire tech, he wanted the microfarad ratings for the FanLinc ( OFF= 0, LOW=4.7, MED=8.2, HIGH=infinity ) he approved the specs from SmartLabs as OK
- The failed fans are in different locations.
- The only common element is the FanLinc
- Many forums (Insteon, Smarthome...) have had discussions from others experiencing this. Some report MED stops, some HIGH.
- The last RMA was only 3 months ago, and now it has lost HIGH. The Smarthome agent stated to me "It's not one of our better products". Gee thanks!
- When I replace the FanLinc with a new one everything works, until it fails.

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:57 am
jalves offline

Re: FanLinc's Keep Failing

Interesting. I've got 4 fanLinc's in the house which have been running just fine for ~6 months. How old were yours when you experienced the failures?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:04 pm
CraigM offline

jalves wrote:
Interesting. I've got 4 fanLinc's in the house which have been running just fine for ~6 months. How old were yours when you experienced the failures?

REV 1.2 (2012) ALL FAILED
REV 1.9 (2015 & 2016) 2 FAILED

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:26 pm
johnpolasek offline

I've had 2 for about a year now on some cheap Hamilton Bays, and they haven't given me any trouble... although I don;t use the speed feature; they're pretty much bang-bang control; either I don;t want a fan blowing on me or I want to move a LOT of air.

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've got 4, 3 of which moved from another home to this one, 2 of which are quite old. Oldest 2 are basically original versions. None have failed.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:09 pm
CraigM offline

Interesting development.

I phoned Smarthome to discuss the problem [AGAIN] , usually Smarthome just blames everything on your fan, your house wiring, but never their product. This time they admitted they know of the problem and offered to send an unreleased "more robust" model!

1) they knew about the issue and didn't warn the customer.
2) they probably won't change the model number, so when the improved FanLinc is actually released there will no way of knowing if you have the old or new model

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:29 am
chasyori offline

I had the same problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:32 am
chasyori offline

[quote="chasyori"]I had the same problem... trashed it and got some haiku fans from bigass fans...

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 am
eme jota ce offline

Have been running 10 Fanlincs for more than 4 years. No problems, at all.

Three run on Med speed for 10 to 12 hours a day, but sometimes run on High or Low for short periods. Others run an average of 1 or 2 hours per day, again, almost always on medium speed.

The greatest challenge has been syncing their states with keypadlincs, which requires many, many steps in Indigo, but still sometimes fails to remain in sync, probably due to signal noise or ghosts.

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 pm
CraigM offline

Another one bites the dust [rev 2.1] and this was one of the new "ROBUST" models. Only 4 months old! This is my first that lost LOW speed, it's almost always HIGH.

I wish SmartLabs would raise the FanLinc cost $2, and install the best capacitors available.

Page 1 of 1