Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's why.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:31 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's w

indigo:// URLS cannot be used for actions. I thought about how to add that, but there are security concerns with Web pages presenting links/data that could then directly control Indigo (without explicit authentication).

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:51 am
durosity offline

matt (support) wrote:
indigo:// URLS cannot be used for actions. I thought about how to add that, but there are security concerns with Web pages presenting links/data that could then directly control Indigo (without explicit authentication).

Sounds reasonable. Shame though as it'd be a great way to action certain things from within other apps.. for example having a widget using Launcher to invoke a url to Indigo Touch to run an action group called 'Goodnight' or something like that. And i suppose If/When such apps like that appear on the Apple Watch it'd be another way to have various different controls just a tap away.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, I agree it would definitely be useful. Will need some mechanism to make it more secure. Maybe we only allow it for specific opt-in action groups, with the understanding that anytime you click on a URL on a web page it could potentially execute it.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:09 pm
durosity offline

Of course an official iOS Widget / Apple Watch extension would reduce the need for that.. Indigo Touch 4.0? ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

4.0 - let's see, following the lead of those who absolutely insist on using the tired "HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATED IN FOUR YEARS" mantra, that would put it around what - 2023?

:twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:19 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
2023?

Just in time for the Apple Mind Control® device to come out... perhaps best to future plan for it.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:20 pm
kennybroh offline

That's a little confusing, because I can access control pages through a web browser from a URL so I'm not sure what you're saying about using another application to send a URL. Obviously there must be a difference but I don't know what it is.

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:05 am
drallam offline

One way to get around the security issue of using indigo:// would be to integrate the app with apples touchId. This way users would have the ability to keep the indigo app secured at the device level.

Great job on 2.0 guys, please keep it up.

Posted on
Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 pm
katiaf offline

I got my Apple watch last Friday and my $39.99 Insteon hub yesterday. I set it up today and I synced a few devices: thermostats, garage door, door locks and a couple of lights. So far so good! Lights work, thermostats work, garage door works, door locks seem to be locking but not unlocking (may need to setup two different commands).

For some things like Thermostat commands, Indigo seems to receive an update (appears in the event log). For others, it does not. I just tried a light and Indigo did not receive any signal when I turned it on through the hub. However, it did update the status to "on 100%" when I sent a status request. I am thinking I can force a status request of the devices that do not send a status update to indigo by creating a scene and adding a redundant command at the end (like "set thermostat to auto", which is received by Indigo). Then the "set thermostat to auto" received by Indigo would trigger a status update for the devices that I add to the hub. I am not planning to add all of them, just those used frequently and convenient to control through the watch.

Would this work? Any other ideas :idea: or suggestions are welcomed!

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:35 am
kennybroh offline

I got my hub yesterday too, but haven't had a chance to set it up so I am glad to hear that they do co-exist, Since I have no desire to duplicate some of the complicated scenes in Indigo, is there any reason why you couldn't set up a scene in the hub that essentially acts as a trigger for an Indigo scene?

Actually what I was considering was using one device, say an insteon bulb somewhere, as the triggering device, and setting the brightness to a certain level as a trigger for each scene, and having the scene reset the device to 0. So 10 would trigger one scene, 20 another, etc. Does that make sense?

Did you add the Insteon Hub app to your "glances?"

This will be great!

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am
katiaf offline

Yes, the bulb example makes sense. I tried something similar with an On/Off module (of course that one doesn't have brightness settings so but it was ok for a two position test). However, Indigo was never notified of the change. This is because of the issue that many devices only send an update to the last controller. Same issue with the light switches. I have tested several devices and still haven't found one that consistently sends status updates to Indigo (setting thermostat to "cool" is pretty consistent but not the best way to do it!). My idea is that if I find at least one device that send status updates to Indigo and then trigger a request of updates for the other devices I will be all set. I do not have an insteon bulb, but if you do try it please let me know if it does send status to Indigo when controlled via the hub.

For now I have set an action group to trigger status updates (through email) to the few devices I added to the hub. This is definitely not a final solution but at least I can get Indigo in-sync with status after playing with my watch. I thought about trying to create scenes for the hub that would send specific emails by device to trigger status updates, but unfortunately the hub does not support emailing (Indigo is definitely a much better and powerful solution!).

Another idea in the works is around intercepting/recognizing signals to the hub's ip address (there are a few software solutions for that) and trying to trigger updates that way. I just started research on that one, but it seems complex.

I was not able to add the Insteon hub app to my glances. For some reason it does not appear on the list when I go to the glances menu (may be the developers have to add this capability?). Well, not big deal since I just put the app in a good location to be able to find/launch it easily.

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2015 6:07 pm
kennybroh offline

I will try it this weekend.

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm
kennybroh offline

Insteon Hub app controlled the bulb just fine, but the status isn't seen in Indigo until there is a status request. Neither does a light switch/dimmer, etc.

I'm going to try a LampLinc and an ApplianceLinc but am not optimistic they will update the status either.

So trying to think of other ways to trigger scenes. Any ideas?

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2015 4:06 pm
katiaf offline

I gave up trying to get any device to send status consistently to Indigo. I just scheduled a job in Indigo to ask for status updates every 45 minutes (with a lag in between each device). It seems to be working fine. I love to be able to control my lights, garage door, thermostats and door locks from my Apple Watch. Looking forward to adding a FanLinc and a camera this weekend.

Note: Status for the Insteon hub is not an issue since it seems to query for status of every device every time you launch the iOS app.

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2015 7:25 am
durosity offline

katiaf wrote:
Note: Status for the Insteon hub is not an issue since it seems to query for status of every device every time you launch the iOS app.

Could you setup a trigger that reads the log and looks for any entry saying indigo touch client connected, then every time there's an entry it runs an action group to do a status query?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.