Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's why.

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:36 am
macguyincali offline

Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's why.

Hi:

I've looked through the forums and I can't quite get a clear read on this. Can I have an Insteon Hub functioning while at the same time using Indigo? Would devices be able to sync with both Hub and Indigo? Or are they mutually exclusive (either Hub or Indigo via the PLM)?

The reason I ask is that my Apple Watch should be arriving soon and the newer hub that is currently available apparently interfaces with the Hub and well, there's no way I'm going to be walking around with an Apple watch without being able to turn lights on and off :)

I guess, if only a single controller (Hub or Indigo) can control a device, I guess I would consider setting up some devices that I could control with Hub (you know, to show off Apple Watch to visitors) and the rest controlled via Indigo. But if simultaneous control were possible, that would be best.

Thanks, in advance for your response.

-JP

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:11 pm
roussell offline

Re: Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's w

Jay answered it somewhere on the forums. The biggest problem is that some devices (wireless and Thermostats) only sync with the LAST controller they were paired with. I have a hub at home and have personally verified this behavior. It's unfortunate because it would be nice to have the best of both worlds. There is a possibility to use the hub as a networked PLM but Matt and Jay are unwilling to do this because although it can work technically, it's an unsupported configuration and undocumented by Smarthome/Smartlabs so if SH/SL decides to close off that port or disable/cripple that functionality in the future then it puts Indigo in a tough spot.

I'm with you though, it would be phenomenal to have the hub work in concert with Indigo...

Terry

Posted on
Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:15 am
cconrad offline

I have the watch coming tomorrow and I saw that the Insteon Hub is currently on sale for $40, so I decided to buy it and see what I can do. If it doesn't work, I'll just give the hub to a friend or family member.

http://www.insteon.com/insteon-hub/

Posted on
Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:33 am
roussell offline

I may be wrong, but I thought the watch app was only compatible with the Insteon Hub-PRO (yet to be released) and not the existing Hub (non-pro). I have the same $40 hub that I bought to play with. It makes ad nice toy, but is extremely limited so I ended up playing with it for a day or two and stuck it in a cabinet in the garage. It does have the undocumented TCP port open though for use as a IP based PLM, if only...

Terry

Posted on
Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:45 am
cconrad offline

I see no mention of the Insteon Hub Pro here: http://www.insteon.com/applewatch

And they link to their Apple Watch page directly from the $40 hub page: http://www.insteon.com/insteon-hub/ (where there is also no mention of an Insteon Hub Pro)

So I think we're good!

Posted on
Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 am
roussell offline

Cool, let us know how it works!

Terry

Posted on
Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:00 am
cconrad offline

Will do!

Ironically, my Apple Watch will arrive before my Insteon Hub..

I've already decided that if I'm not happy with an Indigo to Insteon Hub 'hack', at the very least, I will turn the Hub into a dedicated garage door opener that I can control with my Apple Watch!

-Chris

Posted on
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:22 am
macguyincali offline

Wow.... so jealous. Mine won't come until May, grrr... I do have my Hub though. Very limiting software, unfortunately. And, from the earlier replies to this post, it appears you can't have devices linked to two controllers at the same time.

However, I am hoping someone will figure out a way to hack the Hub to enable Indigo to intercept commands made to the hub in order to perform Indigo functions on certain key devices.

If dual linking is not possible (linking a switch to both Hub and Indigo), then the way I would try to implement it would be:

a) link certain switches, devices to Hub (rather than Indigo)

b) using a plugin, somehow intercept Hub commands (via HTML scrubbing or something) and create "software" versions of those Hub-linked devices so that they can be controlled and monitored by Indigo.

c) using Apple Watch (and/or Insteon app) control lights / switches -- impress guests and neighbors.

Of course all this is moot if the new iOS Indigo app has an Apple Watch component (please, tell me it will!!)

There's so much new stuff out there... a new world. I'm hoping Indigo and the 3rd party developers can keep up. I wish I knew how to code. I sometimes feel guilty enjoying the fruits of others' labor but, in advance... thanks to all those plug-in developers who do this. (and Indigo Domo guys too, of course).

-macguyincali

Posted on
Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:23 pm
kennybroh offline

My watch is waiting for me at home. Just ordered the Insteon Hub at $40 and it should arrive Monday. Will be interesting to see if it will suffice for basic controls until a more robust Indigo integration is possible.

Question-- wouldn't another interim, albeit limited, solution be to find some iPhone/Watch app that let you execute a script to send a message that would activate a trigger on the Insteon server? Any other hacks you can think of? At least for starters it would be nice to be able to activate scenes or turn lights on or off, etc.

If the Hub doesn't conflict with the Insteon server it would seem like that is the best bet. FYI, if you have Hue lights, there are several Hue watch apps available.

Posted on
Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:25 pm
cconrad offline

I plan on giving Workflow a try: https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id915249334?mt=8

Posted on
Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 pm
kennybroh offline

Looks promising. How do you imagine using it with Indigo?

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:50 am
howartp offline

Wow, that is one powerful app!

My first thoughts are to have URL links to actions and control pages using indigo:// URLs, but I'm sure I'll be using it for more stuff.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:37 am
kennybroh offline

BTW one way I thought of to use the Indteon Hub with Indigo might be to assign s scene to an X10 code and send that code from the Watch interface to the Hub. Wouldn't that work?

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am
durosity offline

howartp wrote:
Wow, that is one powerful app!

My first thoughts are to have URL links to actions and control pages using indigo:// URLs, but I'm sure I'll be using it for more stuff.

Can Indigo:// urls be used for actions right now? I thought it could only work for control pages at present?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:17 am
howartp offline

Erm... Maybe I'm mixing up with calls to the webserver, which I'm sure can do actions. Either way will be fine with this app.