Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's why.

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2015 9:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Hub and Indigo coexisting? Apple Watch, that's w

katiaf wrote:
Note: Status for the Insteon hub is not an issue since it seems to query for status of every device every time you launch the iOS app.

Odd - that would seem like a huge network killer. I suspect that if you now go back and resync in Indigo (now that the devices have been added to the hub) that Indigo may stay in sync and the Hub would become out of sync. Just a guess though.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2015 5:33 am
katiaf offline

durosity, not a bad idea if I were only using the Indigo Touch. But I have lots of keypadlincs around my house and we have programmed the buttons to show the right status. So I would like to keep the correct status most of the time and not only when using Indigo Touch.

jay, yes! That is something I dislike a lot about the Insteon Hub app. If you have a lot of devices, every time you launch it you will see moving circles for a long time requesting status updates for each device. The Indigo Touch app is so much better! (Great job with the latest update!) Fortunately my only purpose of the hub is to control the system from my watch so I do not have to deal with the hub's iOS app. The watch app seems to be avoiding the delays on status updates by not showing status at all which at this time does not bother me since I only want to use it as a convenient way of controlling devices when I am at home. Hopefully Indigo will have a much better watch companion app soon :)

Posted on
Sun May 31, 2015 3:03 pm
Parp offline

I have a setup like this for two reasons at the moment. Apple Watch and Notifications.

Apple Watch support isn't ideal, because as has been stated, the Insteon app on the iPhone has to have been in recent contact with the Hub.

I wanted to add this observation: When a device is turned on or off via Indigo, the hub doesn't see it, and vice-versa. Seems fairly logical, but it's still a bummer.

One exception: I have an I/O Linc that senses and controls my garage door. When I open or close my garage door both Indigo and the Hub know it. How do I know this? I get a Notification from the Insteon app and I get a text message (via email) from Indigo. Maybe that might give someone an "aha" moment??

It sounds like Notifications capability is something on the horizon for Indigo. I cast my vote for Apple Watch support as well. When that day comes, I will unlink all of my devices from the Hub and get rid of it. Of course HomeKit might throw a wrench into those plans...

Posted on
Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:36 pm
rehafer offline

I've just noticed while experimenting with the Hub Pro, that the Insteon+ app doesn't support the Apple Watch; another feature missing from the previous model. I think I'll just wait for Jay and Matt to clone themselves and and Watch support to Indigo Touch.
At least Indigo doesn't loose the majority of its feature in new versions.
That, and the Insteon website list the USB ports as "for future development". Oh well, I've wasted money on less-than-useful gadgets in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 am
bobeast offline

I've been using Indigo and Insteon Hub concurrently for a few days now. I also have an Amazon Echo, which integrates with Insteon Hub. This allows me to say something like "Amazon, turn on the Hallway Light", and magic happens. So far I've not seen any conflicts. I can control a device from Indigo, This Insteon Hub app on iPhone, or via Voice control (Amazon Echo).

That said, I've only tried a few simple on/off devices. (SwitchLincs and plug-in modules)

Now the bad news. I can't get the Insteon Hub Apple Watch app to launch. It just shows the loading screen forever. Hopefully, they'll sort that out soon.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:45 am
roussell offline

When you control a load, are you seeing BOTH the hub and Indigo report the correct status of the load? I'n my testing, that's where I ran into problems. I've a lot of triggers that depend on the proper status being reported so I had to give up further tests.

The answer here is for Indigo to support the hub as an Insteon device. Several other HA packages are doing it now so I don't know if Smarthome has changed something or what (along the lines of official support as a networked PLM), but using the hub as an Insteon gateway instead of the current PLM would allow iWatch and Echo support out of the box.

Terry

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 pm
kelmk offline

An Indigo plugin for the Insteon hub would be amazing. My situation is I am unable to use the PLM modem and it only supports 120V and we have 220V here in New Zealand. So currently Indigo can not control my Insteon lights. I am currently using the homebridge plugin to control the insteon stuff.