[SOLVED]I/O Link Trigger Settings- RatZapper Activation

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:04 pm
zeigh offline

[SOLVED]I/O Link Trigger Settings- RatZapper Activation

Hello,

I need a little help with the trigger settings for sending an email when my RatZapper kills a rat…

If you didn’t know, a RatZappedr is one of the devices on the market that instantly kills a rodent via electrocution. This model also has an accessory port that was designed to have a remote light plugged in for notification when the trap had activated. Here is that link:

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rat-control/rzrt001w-12

So far I think that I have successfully configured a SmartLabs I/O Link model 2450. It senses when the RatZapper has triggered via the sensor light on the I/O Link unit. Indigo also acknowledges the on/off status in the logs. However, I am unable to get the trigger to send any kind of email notification and I don’t even see this command in the logs despite testing a variety of "Device State Changed" combinations. What am I missing?

BTW, if any of you have a rodent problem, the RatZapper is worth the money. I have tried traditional rat traps and found the bait gone most of the time. After rats did about $600 damage to my car, I had to get serious. The only problem with the RatZapper, is that you have to check it every other day or end up with a maggot infested rat caucus to clean up. Now I hope to look forward to regular rat obituaries via text or email. HA!

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:16 pm
Seeker offline

Re: I/O Link Trigger Settings- RatZapper Activation Notifica

Interesting. No rat problems, but had squirrels in the attic. I have a live trap with a door sensor on it to tell me when it trips. worked well, squirrels are 'relocated'.

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:54 pm
zeigh offline

Re: I/O Link Trigger Settings- RatZapper Activation Notifica

UPDATE:

Problem solved! I have no idea what the issue was, but a restart of my Mac and Indigo Pro solved the issue. Never underestimate the simplest troubleshooting measures.

Okay, now I have a cartoon electrocution sound bite that I need to implement to play through my home intercom each time my family is rodent relieved. HA! Any other ideas?

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED]I/O Link Trigger Settings- RatZapper Activation

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to appropriate forum

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:03 am
rhanson offline

You mean that all the lights in the house don't dim a couple times, as shown in the movies?

You should program that, for sure.

Posted on
Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 pm
mikeL offline

I had a problem similar to yours: I wanted to have Indigo send me a message when any of the mouse traps on my ‘trapline' were tripped. I’m using several Victor mouse traps—the old school, metal pedal, wire type baited with peanut butter—to kill mice in my garage and attic.

I have been building sensor/actuator projects with microcontrollers for many years now, so I have a bunch of Arduino Uno boards (~$25/each) sitting around waiting to go into my next project. It turns out that the Victor traps are easy to wire up so that they behave like electrical switches. Each trap can be connected to a digital I/O pin on the Arduino. One Arduino can handle several traps and with suitable software readily detects when each trap has tripped. The more difficult problem was how to communicate with Indigo.

I decided to use the Indigo Web Server RESTful API to set variables in Indigo to reflect the status of the traps and trigger sending kill messages—I use Growl/Prowl notifications. To make the API calls I attached an Ethernet shield ($55) to the Arduino. Since I don’t have network wiring in my garage or attic I connected the Arduino to a surplus Airport Express to provide a wireless connection to my LAN (and, therefore, to Indigo). The Arduino runs a little http client that sends trap status information in real time to Indigo whenever a trap changes state, i.e., gets armed or tripped. This has been working successfully for two months now during which time Indigo has nuked a dozen mice.
Regards,
Mike
Attachments
mausVariables.png
Indigo variables set by the Arduino.
mausVariables.png (24 KiB) Viewed 5078 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:03 pm
toille27 offline

A thread like this is why I love to read topics on the Indigo forum. I have a battery operated trap in my shed (with LED notification) that I check every now and again and this would be a great application to assure maximum kills. No more stiff frozen mice blocking the fresh ones for a new kill during the winter, thanks for the idea! I'm going to try a battery operated door and window sensor with auxiliary inputs. I might even add a security spy camera, Ha!

Posted on
Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:45 pm
toille27 offline

Looks like Z wave caught up with this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Z-Wave-Smar ... mouse+trap

Posted on
Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 am
akimball offline

I'm going to buy a couple of these domo z-wave mouse traps. Will they work out of the box with Indigo?

Also, has anyone used these? We have gophers, gopher snakes, field mice and gophers (did I say we have gophers?) I don't want to kill the gopher snakes, but honestly I need more gopher snakes cause the gophers are winning.... and I hate snakes. Will these traps accidentally kill the snakes?

-Al

Posted on
Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm
toille27 offline

Theres another thread on here about these

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18067

Posted on
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm
akimball offline

Thanks. I took a chance and ordered one.

-Al

Posted on
Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 pm
akimball offline

Just got the domo mouse zapper. It comes up in indigo, i named it '12 - Electric Cat'.
I can read the battery level only...so far. I assume there is a value to tell me if it's 'tripped' but not sure yet. Smarthome.com has a pretty good explanation of the associations and such but it's all new for me....not sure what I'm doing. I'm afraid i'm going to be using raw z-wave commands. Since this didn't work right out of the box as expected (no notification variable of zapped rodent)... but it does give me battery level, I guess it's a partial success. Where is what I get in the log...

Z-Wave Indigo Device "012 - Electric Cat" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.371
Node ID: 12
Model: Routing Slave
Model ID: 00030104
Manufacturer: Unknown
Manufacturer ID: 021F
Protocol Version: 4.38
Application Version: 3.47
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 6
Class Name: Routing Slave
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 07 : 01
Command Class Base: 00
Command Versions: 80v1 30v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 70v1 71v1 72v1 73v1 59v1 5Av1 5Ev1
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming, waking
Neighbors: 5, 6, 7, 8
Associations: 1:[1] 2:[] 3:[] 4:[]
Config Values: - none -

Any suggestions?

-Al

Posted on
Thu May 04, 2017 6:16 pm
akimball offline

Update: using feta cheese in the Dome Z-wave Mouse Zapper, I zapped my first mouse in under 2 hours so it aparently works well. At least it reports battery level. Wish i knew how to read when it zaps a mouse. Can anyone tell me how to poll for the mouse zapped info?

P.S., mice were not interested in potato chips.

-Al

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 1:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We are going to have to add a custom device definition to Indigo so that it can track the state. I've added that to our request/ToDo list.

Posted on
Sun May 14, 2017 2:35 pm
akimball offline

Thank you, looking forward to it. Still zapping mice...need one for gophers :). I'm trying to imagine the indigo touch artwork to display when a rodent is electrocuted...

-Al

Page 1 of 1