[ANSWERED] Powerlinc connection problems

Posted on
Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:43 pm
mhgator offline

[ANSWERED] Powerlinc connection problems

I have a mac mini running OSX 10.9.2. Indigo 6.0.11. Powerlinc 2413U. I installed the system a couple weeks ago and everything has been working fine until yesterday. The PowerLinc Modem at the bottom left is red and lined through.
If I go to configure the interface: usbserial-AxxxxNTB-port not found.
If I go to reset the powerlinc: INSTEON interface: PowerLinc 2414U/2412U/2412S/2413U/2413S) is not connected or online.
I have searched the forums.
I rebooted the computer.
I have disabled and re-enabled the interface.
I unplugged the powerlinc for 10 seconds after disabling and held the reset for 10 seconds as I plugged it back in. (it does have a green light)
I have tried plugging the usb direct into the back of the computer and doing all the above again (it was in a 4 port thingy)
Don't know what else to try.

Posted on
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Powerlinc connection problems

In the interface are there any other "usbserial-***" menu item you can choose?

For troubleshooting try unplugging all USB devices except the PowerLinc, your keyboard and mouse (unplug the hub). Does it show up in the menu them (close and re-open the prefs dialog).

Also try swapping the USB cable (it is a pretty standard cable, so you might have one you can swap).

If none of that helps, then I think it might have died on you...

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 6:22 am
finkej offline

My powerLinc 2413U seems to have gotten flakey = redline in the console. I moved it to a new outlet and replaced the USB cable and it worked for a few days = but we had a series of power hits last night and it doesn't want to talk. I have power cycled it several times.

If I unplug the USB cable, the following appears in the event log:

Code: Select all
  Power Failure                   possible power failure
  Interface Failure               failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-A4016OJT

Which leads me to believe that it is NOT a USB issue.

The unit is several years old - do you think I need to replace it? Is the 2413U still the recommend Insteon interface?

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am
norm offline

Yes, the PLM 2413U is still the controller of choice for Indigo and INSTEON and we have them — pretested in an Indigo environment.

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

finkej wrote:
Which leads me to believe that it is NOT a USB issue.

Well, not necessarily. Try a factory reset on it just to make sure it hasn't gotten into some odd state.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 3:04 pm
norm offline

Here are the "official" steps to reset the 2413U.

1. Unplug the PowerLinc and let it sit for 20 seconds.
2. While still unplugged, hold down the reset button for a slow count of 10
3. While still holding the reset button down, plug it back in for a slow count of 10 seconds.
4. Release the reset button.
5. Plug in the USB to your computer and see if Indigo can Connect to it.

— Norm
Indigo Store
10 Years Serving the Indigo Community

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 4:25 pm
finkej offline

No Joy - No beeps, no flashing led, no nothing.

I disabled and re-enabled the interface in Indigo - and got the following:

Disabling interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.4"
  Stopping interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.4" (pid 866)
  Stopped interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.4"
  Enabling interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.4"
  Starting interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.4" (pid 10452)
  Started interface "INSTEON Commands 2.0.4"
  Interface Failure               failed to establish connection with serial interface PowerLinc Modem on port usbserial-A4016OJT
  Error                           unknown command bytes received 00 00 (ignoring)
  Error                           unknown command bytes received 00 00 (ignoring)

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 pm
finkej offline

Now the LED is flashing red

Posted on
Fri May 09, 2014 7:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you installed any other software that might be trying to communicate with it?

If not, then try plugging it into different circuits on different outlets. Since we are just troubleshooting, use an extension cord so you don't have to move the Mac. If it works in a different location, then it is power line noise on the original circuit that is confusing it. Severe power line noise can cause the USB communication to fail.

If that doesn't help, then I think your PowerLinc has malfunctioned. They have a 2 year warranty, so if it happens to be less than that then try to get it swapped out.

Posted on
Sat May 10, 2014 9:56 am
finkej offline

Tried another circuit - no luck. The quick start said there would be beeping when I did the factory reset - it was silent.

At present, I am getting:
  Error                           resending previous command (busy or unexpected command)
  Error                           unknown command bytes received 01 00 (ignoring)

Note - it is NOT currently plugged into the AC at all. The version is V1.6 and the date code is 1209, so I am going to guess it is no longer under warrantee.

It is really annoying not having this - had some nice integration in a few places with it.

Are there instructions/tips on replacing one of these units - or just plug it in and resync the links?

Posted on
Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 pm
mhgator offline

Just an update from my original post. Tried all and contacted Insteon who was less than helpful. Finally just ordered a new one, soon as I plugged it in and re-synced links everything works. Now Insteon is giving me a rash about returning by insisting I call for warranty service instead of handling by email. I have a day job and don't have time for this so I guess I just have to write off a 3 week old device that doesn't work. Frustrating.

Posted on
Sat May 10, 2014 5:45 pm
kw123 offline

buy from machomestore ..

Posted on
Sun May 11, 2014 10:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

finkej wrote:
Are there instructions/tips on replacing one of these units - or just plug it in and resync the links?

Pretty much just connect it to Indigo, which will then recognize that you are placing your PowerLinc and will prompt you to re-sync. Indigo should take it from there, but you'll need to wake sleeping (battery operated) modules so the sync to those can complete.

Posted on
Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 am
finkej offline

The new unit arrived (from Amazon, in order to take advantage of Amazon Prime shipping - but their two day shipping ended up dumping it on USPS, which adds a couple of days since it goes into the mailroom at $WORK, unlike UPS that delivers to my building daily).

Had it resync the links, and everything was working. Until this morning, when after rebooting my iMac (issue with the graphic card I think), it no longer will talk to the power line - behaving a lot like the one I had just replaced.

So I was going through the reset process, and noticed the date code and version was the same as the old one. Seemed disturbing, so I went to the cabinet and got out the old one - it had a newer date code and version number. Somehow, in all of my playing around, I had re-installed the old one (sure glad I did not throw the "old" one away!!!!)

So now the new one - the real new one, is syncing again. And I guess I have a flakey spare (the old one) that will work some of the time. Next time I have issues like this, I will try resyncing the links again.

Posted on
Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:32 am
zacmatt offline

I'm having smilier problems as others.

Macbook Pro OS 10.9.4 / Indigo 6.0.13 / Powerlinc 2414U

I'm trying to move my PowerLink 2414U from one computer to another. The old computer, on Indigo 4, continues to connect perfectly but when I try to use it on the new computer it fails to connect with the following error message:

Error usb connection failed -- retrying connection for 5 seconds
Error usb reconnect error: timeout trying to reconnect
Error usb connection failed -- retrying connection for 5 seconds
Error DeviceAddedCallback() caught exception: UsbCommunicationError -- failed to create plugin interface
Indigo Cocoa client connected
Error usb reconnect error: timeout trying to reconnect

The PowerLinc connection status icon at the bottom left of the Indigo screen is red and has a line through it.

I have done considerable troubleshooting including the following:

I have searched the forums for suggestions
I rebooted the computer.
I have trashed the prefs file
I have disabled and re-enabled the interface.
I have used 3 different (working) USB cables.
I have unplugged all other USB devices, and plugged it directly into my MacBook USB port
I noticed that when I plugged the PowerLink into my USB hub it disables my trackball and keyboard.

Does anyone have an idea of what to try next?

Thanks so much for you help!

Zac