x10 --> eventual Insteon questions.

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:21 pm
bwilfong offline

x10 --> eventual Insteon questions.

I have an X10 setup running fine now except for a few outlets. I would like to gradually convert to Insteon. I have the USB conroller now that Indigo uploads the commands into and then disconnects so it runs standalone. This is the direction that Indigo is going correct? Also, I'm a bit confused about the rev levels of these USB controllers as to which one I might have or need to be able to run Insteon.

Since Insteon usese radio waves, shouldn't my interface to my 2 trouble outlets be cleaner?

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: x10 --> eventual Insteon questions.

For INSTEON support you need the PowerLinc V2 Rev 1.6 with firmware 2.12. Anything you order from FunForGeeks.com will work for sure, since they pre-test it against Indigo. Indigo does not yet support uploading to the PowerLinc V2, so there is no way to control INSTEON devices using INSTEON commands without your Mac running. The goal is to support this eventually, but realistically it is going to take several months -- probably around Indigo 3.0.

INSTEON should help you reach your 2 trouble outlets. INSTEON still uses power line commands to communicate between SwitchLincs, LampLincs, and ApplianceLincs, but it uses a new protocol that is much more robust (and faster) than X10. The only modules that support INSTEON RF are the SignaLinc RFs, which are used to bridge the 2 110V power legs of your system so that INSTEON commands can get from one power leg to the other. Note if you have an X10 signal coupler or repeater, you still need the SignaLinc RFs since INSTEON commands aren't support by the older X10 repeaters.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1