Plugin Discussion / Feedback

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:03 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Plugin Discussion / Feedback

Please let me know any feedback (for better or worse) as anyone uses this plugin... comments, suggestions, and jokes welcome!

In addition, if anyone has a Sony device that supports IP communications and wants to see about adding it to the plugin, please let me know the model number and I can investigate (though, of course, you'll need to assist with testing!)

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 am
durosity offline

Re: Plugin Discussion / Feedback

Once again another beautifully crafted plugin.. such a shame the Bravia doesn’t provide it’s current states as I kinda need that to use indigo as a kinda universal remote control.. oh well never mind, back to the saving the pennies for the Sharp tv :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks... I agree as to the status reporting; and it would be trivial to provide this via any number of options. Not sure of their thinking in omitting it.

Overall, far more impressed with the Sharp from a HA standpoint. But the image quality is good, so the Bravia line is a good option if only a one-way communication path is required.

If only money were not an option, but it almost always is in HA I find!

Posted on
Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:29 am
durosity offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Thanks... I agree as to the status reporting; and it would be trivial to provide this via any number of options. Not sure of their thinking in omitting it.

Yeah, it is a bit strange. Almost as strange as Samsung including support for turning their TVs on over a network, then releasing a firmware update to disable it. I swear they do it just to frustrate users.

RogueProeliator wrote:
If only money were not an option, but it almost always is in HA I find!

I guess if money wasn't an issue most people would just get someone like Control4 to fit it all for them.. that said if money were no issue for me i most certainly wouldn't.. i enjoy the tinkering :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:49 pm
BenX10 offline

Hi and thanks for sharing this!

Maybe I'm blind, but where to download 1.0.4? Both links download 1.0.3. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Posted on
Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:21 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I am actually in the process of updating the plugins to add some error checking - I hope to get them all published this weekend and will be sure to verify the new download/version number. Sorry about that!

Posted on
Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 pm
jltnol offline

Hey there

So I was halfway hoping that this would work with my Sony Receiver, but alas, no. Cool things to do would be On/Off, Set Volume, and Select Input. Anything else would be gravy. It is connected to the LAN, has an iOS app that runs it, as well as a PC only app(run in Parallels when I need it) to control it, so in theory, it would seem most of hard work would be done.

What I know about programming would fit in a thimble, with room left over for an olympic sized pool... which is to say... not much, so this may be much more of a Herculean task that I imagine.

Receiver model # is Sony STR-DA4600ES if that helps.

(and yes..I'm MORE than happy to help with testing!)

Posted on
Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Nearly all the commands would be specified in XML format, so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to try something out; I'll look up the IR commands for that model and we can do a quick test to see if it works. Assuming it does then adding additional commands would be trivial.

I'll look up the on/off but that is sometimes an issue - not all the devices support Wake-On-LAN which is generally required for turning it on whilest in standby or off mode.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 pm
jltnol offline

Great
FWIW, the receiver stays in "stand-by mode", which means it doesn't completely power down. I've had this receiver for a while, but I seem to recall totally powering it off makes it impossible to turn On via the remote apps...

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Does your smartphone app show what port it is talking to (doubtful, but thought I would ask). Also, did you have to set a username/password on the receiver/phone app in order to control it?

Posted on
Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm
jltnol offline

While I understand what you are asking and why, I'm afraid I don't have the info.

BUT

I did find this online. The 5600 is just one up from the 4600.. both were released at the same time..

I've been reading through this thread hoping to resolve a problem with getting Setup Manager 1.0 to communicate with my STR-DA5600ES, but despite checking and trying a number of ideas, I've albut given up on getting this application to work. My receiver is not a US/Canadian model as it has no Sirius port. Installed firmware is V1.029 which AFAIK is the latest version for Australia.

My set up is XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) on the PC. STR-DA5600ES connected by Ethernet via my Siemens Speedstream 6520 ADSL router. No port filtering is enabled in the router and nothing filtered on the PC (effectively have the firewall disabled.)

A Zenmap scan gets the following results -
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 21:59
Scanning 192.168.254.7 [1000 ports]
Discovered open port 8888/tcp on 192.168.254.7
Discovered open port 9666/tcp on 192.168.254.7
Discovered open port 6001/tcp on 192.168.254.7

When I try running Setup Manager it detects the receiver on the network but when I select it the program fails with the following error - "unknown error 0x80040301"

Anyone have any suggestions of what might be wrong? I initially though it might be a PC specific issue so I installed the software on two other XP machines but it still fails with the same error code. Thinking it may be an OS issue so I borrowed a laptop with Windows 7 and did the same. The program fails with the same error code.

Unfortunately Sony Australia have absolutely no clue as to what the problem is. The receiver is brand new so it might be hardware ralated but all other network facilites seem to work okay (e.g. SHOUTcast) and other devices like my Sony BR player and the PS3 work though the receiver's network hub.

Posted on
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 pm
jltnol offline

FWIW, here's the port scan results for my receiver:

Port Scanning host: 192.168.5.6

Open TCP Port: 6001
Open TCP Port: 8888 ddi-tcp-1
Open TCP Port: 9666
Port Scan has completed…

And the answer to your other question is No. No username or Password to access the receiver from either the iOS app, or the PC App.

Posted on
Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Unfortunately, as best as I have been able to tell, this is using a completely different control protocol - it uses a telnet protocol specified in bytes/hex as opposed to an HTTP based approach. This has the result of severely limiting how much I would be able to help as it would no longer be able to simply change up the commands passed in from the plugin.

If you could figure out exactly the command string(s) to send, perhaps by using the Cynical Network plugin to perform the connection for you, then I could help get it incorporated into the plugin as a new device. Really, as long as you could get one to work properly and have the rest documented, that should be sufficient.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Might the plugin work with this model? Sony 40" 1080p Smart LED HDTV KDL-40W590B

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Might the plugin work with this model? Sony 40" 1080p Smart LED HDTV KDL-40W590B

I can't say for sure, but I tend to say it should... the one I use is in the KDL-XXX line and the specifications look very similar.

Adam