Autolog Stella-Z Thermostat Controller Discussion

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:11 am
autolog offline

Re: Autolog Stella-Z Thermostat Controller Discussion

Hi Simon,

As previously mentioned, I am now coding the replacement (more generalised TRV controller) and am taking on-board your input. Progress has been delayed because SWMBO and I have picked up a cold virus bug which has knocked us a bit sideways for the last week.

Changes I am focusing on at the moment (in no particular order) are:
  • Implement as a standard Indigo Thermostat device (easier now that I understand how this works - I didn't when I first started programming plugins)
  • Danfoss LC-13 support
  • NO TRV support i.e. just use a remote stat to turn the boiler on and off
  • An 'architectural' change to use queueing and timers for the schedules which I am hoping will make the plugin less resource hungry.
  • Action Groups to be able alter the scheduling dynamically

I have been having a think about the 'room heat up profile' and how that might work. Not sure how many temperature points would need to be accommodated. Also, I suspect the external ambient temperature might affect the 'room heat up profile' e.g. if it is below freezing outside then the room wouldn't be at such a high temperature even if the Stella-Z was.

I am wondering about supporting multiple remote stats in a room. I am not sure about this (particularly as I don't have a requirement for it :wink: ). One problem I see is one of trying to average out remote stat temperatures from devices reporting at different intervals and time.

Another requirement that has been asked for is 'occupancy' heating turn on. Again, I can see that different people would have different requirements and definitions of what represents 'occupancy'. Maybe the easiest way to implement this would be to have an Action Group to tell the plugin that the room is occupied and when it is not occupied. Then an occupied setpoint could be specified? This would leave the logic of what constitutes occupancy to be defined by the plugin user?

Quite a bit to think about - I'll focus on the basics first. :)

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am
Shutter offline

autolog wrote:
Progress has been delayed because SWMBO and I have picked up a cold virus bug which has knocked us a bit sideways for the last week.

That sucks.

Talking of SWMBO - I had to quickly knock up a very rudimentary control page to allow control of the living room heating (Boost, Advance, Extend) as someone wasn't happy no longer having any control of the heating. :) It was understandable - making a nice control page I discovered is more than just a pretty interface. Realised there's still a lot more to learn to make it functional. And of course, I haven't barely started when I'm already thinking about changing the UI. :roll:

autolog wrote:
I have been having a think about the 'room heat up profile' and how that might work. Not sure how many temperature points would need to be accommodated. Also, I suspect the external ambient temperature might affect the 'room heat up profile' e.g. if it is below freezing outside then the room wouldn't be at such a high temperature even if the Stella-Z was.

I did think about that. I previously mentioned how I was testing a aluminium shield for the Stella. I've since installed another shield in a room which has my new Netatmo. I'm now able to plot, using Karl's INDIGOplotD plugin the Stella with shield temp and the Netatmo. I've already noticed that the temp deviation is actually fairly consistent as the temp of the radiator increases. I'll post the results after a week of data.

autolog wrote:
I am wondering about supporting multiple remote stats in a room. I am not sure about this (particularly as I don't have a requirement for it :wink: ). One problem I see is one of trying to average out remote stat temperatures from devices reporting at different intervals and time.

It's tempting, since some rooms may have multiple sensors which often include temp. Personally, I would rather have a sensor that reports an accurate temp, or one that is calibrated, than trying to average multiple ones out.

autolog wrote:
Another requirement that has been asked for is 'occupancy' heating turn on. Again, I can see that different people would have different requirements and definitions of what represents 'occupancy'. Maybe the easiest way to implement this would be to have an Action Group to tell the plugin that the room is occupied and when it is not occupied. Then an occupied setpoint could be specified? This would leave the logic of what constitutes occupancy to be defined by the plugin user?

If I understand you correctly then you mean use the native Indigo controls to active certain setting in the plugin? Then I for one like that idea. I've been using our iPhones to detect when we're at home and so far that works well, but I'm only using it to trigger SecuritySpy. What's nice about that is when we have friends or family staying we just give them a spare iPhone 4, which I then enable in Indigo to also track with Smartphone Radar.

autolog wrote:
Quite a bit to think about - I'll focus on the basics first. :)

I'm sure there is. Get well soon.

Simon

Posted on
Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:43 pm
MarcoGT offline

Just installed an LC13 at my father's home, everything fine.

In Indigo-Schedule, which is the difference between Set Heatpoint and Set Coolpoint?
As example, at 8.00pm I set 20 grades, then at 11pm I would like to have 17 grades, is that an heatpoint or a coolpoint?

Then, as Danfoss LC13 does not report in-room temperature, shall I integrate the heat control using Fibaro Motion/Temp sensor, but how? Using trigger?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:18 pm
autolog offline

Hi Marco,
You have posted your question in the thread that discusses my Stella-Z Thermostat Controller plugin which doesn't support the Danfoss LC-13 :wink:

However, to answer your questions as best I can:

Indigo's Thermostat Interface is generalised and the heat point and cool point I suspect are geared towards Air Conditioning units that can heat and cool. The Danfoss which is a radiator valve controller only controls heat. Both the values you talk about (20C & 17C) I guess are desired setpoints at which if the ambient temperature drops beneath the values you would like the heating to operate.

You don't describe how you have setup your system. For example if the heat set point is set to 20C and the temperature drops to 18C then the Danfoss will open the valve on the radiator. How will you tell your boiler to produce heat and pump the water to the radiator? You could use a Fibarao Motion/Temp sensor to control it but I suspect you would need some sort of relay to tell the boiler to turn on.

It is quite complicated which is why I wrote a plugin for the Stella-Zs. I am still intending to upgrade my Stella-Z plugin to make it more general (and will probably include the Danfoss) but I have put any work on hold pending the Indigo 7 release so that I can make sure my plugin is as up-to-date as possible. :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:39 am
MarcoGT offline

Yes, I saw too late that this is the wrong thread...sorry :(
I will write a new thread about it.

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:34 am
Shutter offline

Hi Jon,

I'm guessing your plugin is fine with Indigo 7, since I haven't read of any issues. Is that correct? (Hoping to update to 7 in the next week or so).

Also, I remember you previously mentioned you were waiting for 7 for potential re-write of your plugin. Is that still the case?

Thanks,

Simon

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 am
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
Shutter wrote:
... I'm guessing your plugin is fine with Indigo 7, since I haven't read of any issues. Is that correct? (Hoping to update to 7 in the next week or so).
Also, I remember you previously mentioned you were waiting for 7 for potential re-write of your plugin. Is that still the case? ...

It works fine with Indigo 7. :)

I am still intending to rewrite the plugin but I am currently working on completing my LIFX plugin and supporting initial teething problems with the Alexa-Hue Bridge and Foscam HD plugins which have to take priority as the Stella-Z plugin works OK.

I'll update this thread when I start work on it :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:59 am
durosity offline

I've been running it since i7 came out and it's just as stable as it always was!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:27 pm
Shutter offline

Excellent.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:11 am
yassi offline

Jon, I know you're busy now with the other plugins, but may I ask you where can I download the latest version of the Stella-Z plugin?
Here http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12713 is only a description under "Download", but no files.

I would like to give it a try with the Comet thermostats.

Thanks,
Yassi

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:56 am
autolog offline

Hi Yassi,

It is there in the Download section (I have just tried it) - click on the word here in the line that says:
The Plugin (V 2.1.5) is now available for download here.

I agree it could be clearer :wink:

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 am
yassi offline

Jon, thanks, got it!
Didn't saw it, everything was in blue/ magenta :roll:

Yassi

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:16 am
autolog offline

yassi wrote:
Jon, thanks, got it!
Didn't saw it, everything was in blue/ magenta :roll:

I have tidied up the link it will hopefully be less confusing for the next person who wants to download it :oops: - Thanks for pointing out the colouring issue. :)

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:42 am
yassi offline

Much way better so!
Thank you for your quick help!

Yassi

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm
yassi offline

Jon,

I have now the Comet radiator thermostats and already make the first mistake...
I've included the first one as a "standard Indigo thermostat" and after that installed your plugin...
Should I delete it and create a new device as a Stella-Z device?

Another question about the lime protection: our heating is not provided by a boiler or so. It's a heating system with runs 24/7 (well it tuns off heating by night and turn on in the morning, it has a mechanical setup)
So I can't select in the plugin the "Heat Source Controller".
Does that means the lime protection will run? If yes, where can I select the schedule? Do I have to create one first??? Where are the "Autolog actions"? Can't find them.
Don't realize this points here, sorry.

Yassi

UPDATE: Seems so, it doesn't recognize the Comet somehow, or am I doing something wrong? See screenshots.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-16 um 20.07.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-16 um 20.07.58.png (139.43 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-16 um 20.07.08.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-16 um 20.07.08.png (396.41 KiB) Viewed 3893 times