LC-xxLD166k series?

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:41 am
howartp offline

LC-xxLD166k series?

Hi Adam.

My dumb TV has "sadly" (!) died overnight, so I'm looking at an Indigo-controlled one, which seems to be Sharp or Sony based on your plugins. (Unless there's any others I've missed)

The current series of Aquos, in the UK at least, seem to be LC-XXLD166K models - do you (or anyone) know if these will work with your plugin?

Cheers,

Peter

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: LC-xxLD166k series?

The current series of Aquos, in the UK at least, seem to be LC-XXLD166K models - do you (or anyone) know if these will work with your plugin?

I did a very quick glance at Sharp's site and I don't see anything about those models supporting IP control; the manual does not list the control codes as other models have done either. Therefore, I don't think those particular models are likely to work. If you find anything that mentions IP control or gives more information, I would be happy to take a look.

It's possible the feature just isn't advertised as they did have ethernet ports, but with the costs involved I would be reluctant to try it on a whim!

Adam

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:20 am
howartp offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
, but with the costs involved I would be reluctant to try it on a whim!

Yeah :-(

I did more reading after posting and it looks like I'd need one of the 50" to 90" models as these support the new Aquos Lite iOS app - all the models listed against their Smart Remote and Smart Remote + iOS apps are discontinued.

Panasonic, Philips and Samsung all have some models that are controllable but they seem to be older (2009-2012 era) models.

I think the most reliable and proven solution now (2015) is the LG TVs, most/many of which still have a 3.5mm RS232 jack, and there's several copies of an API library out there including one in python.

I'll have a look further - do you fancy turning the python library into a plugin if it looks ok?

https://github.com/suan/libLGTV_serial

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:29 am
RogueProeliator offline

I'll have a look further - do you fancy turning the python library into a plugin if it looks ok?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to take that on at the moment... too hectic around here and projects stacking up as it stands.

What about Sony? The control seems to work fairly well, only caveat is that they don't provide a feedback as to their current status, so it is more of a network remote than a full network controller. I know that at least one user is using a European model successfully save one button we couldn't properly map out.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:39 am
howartp offline

Problem with Sony is the two features I want are power on, and status. :-(

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:04 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Problem with Sony is the two features I want are power on, and status.

Power On works just fine in the plugin... status, not so much.

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:32 am
howartp offline

Been and bought 40" LG 4K tv with Ethernet and RS232 (via USB) today. (£399 at Argos)

RS232 should work for off, mute, input etc until such time someone decodes a protocol for Ethernet.

I'll play with ping, WOL, http etc once I get CAT5 to it and see what I can see.

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:56 pm
durosity offline

I seem to recall seeing LG had a full library of rs232 commands for all supported TVs somewhere.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:22 am
howartp offline

Yes, I've got that in Python already - about 3 posts earlier in this thread in fact... ;-)

Unfortunately as the RS232 is via USB, it still can't power on as the USB goes off the same as the LAN (at least, that's my expectation - haven't tested it yet)

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:24 am
durosity offline

Ah I see, missed that bit! I thought the USB port remained powered when it was off, it used to be on older models from a few years ago. :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:03 am
howartp offline

If it is, that's great - but most threads on remotecentral about most TVs say it goes off.

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:12 am
durosity offline

Yeah, I was reading that too... All I know is old ones did as I had one that did (not that I ever got it working with indigo, it died only a couple of months after I got it so John Lewis replaced it with a Samsung)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 am
howartp offline

Will report back; stuff arriving from Amazon on Friday.

Page 1 of 1